The Student Room Group

Will these AS grades be okay for Pharmacy?

I got my AS Results back last Thursday and although I was disappointed, I looked on the bright side of it and thought my predicted grades will be ABB as my school predicts one higher than the AS results you received. I got BCCD in them. The B was 1 ums off an A so I'm getting it remarked.

I wanted to know if anyone had similar AS grades/Predicted A2 grades and managed to get an offer for Pharmacy and if so, which Universities gave them the offer and was it a straight out conditional offer or did you have to go through the interview process.
In for the answer I got the same results except the D and worrying if ill even get an offer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by UnknownError
In for the answer I got the same results except the D and worrying if ill even get an offer :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I'm just going ahead and apply anyway and hope for the best. I know someone who got BCDE last year and still got offers although his predicted grades were A*AB :/
Reply 3
Im also in the same position :frown:

I got BCCC for my AS, honestly, i was quite disappointed. I was hoping for a couples of A's so i could apply to a decent uni to study pharmacy, but now i don't think i'll get in and i'm starting to think of not applying. Help :frown:

So i've been trying to look for an alternative but nothing else seems to interest me. Except microbiology, but i've hear getting a microbiologist job is quite difficult and the salary isn't that good either. Now I really don' know what to do. Im lost.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
AS results surprised me this year. I don't think anyone expected the level of difficulty.

However, if you can see yourself enjoying pharmacy in the future, then look deeper for universities. There are many universities that have relatively low offers.
Also, your GCSEs count. If those are As and Bs, then they will balance your AS.

Another option is retaking a few units to score higher. It will be some work though :/ You could consider dropping the D and improving on your other subjects (AS or A2).

If all else fails, look for overseas universities e.g. Ireland, France.. Foreign languages could come in handy.

Hope I helped and I think there's always a place for everyone if you search or work hard enough :smile:
Reply 5
Dont worry, just focus on A2!! If you have predicated grades of AAB/ABB you should get offer from most of the institutions.
Reply 6
Original post by Namsu
Im also in the same position :frown:

I got BCCC for my AS, honestly, i was quite disappointed. I was hoping for a couples of A's so i could apply to a decent uni to study pharmacy, but now i don't think i'll get in and i'm starting to think of not applying. Help :frown:

So i've been trying to look for an alternative but nothing else seems to interest me. Except microbiology, but i've hear getting a microbiologist job is quite difficult and the salary isn't that good either. Now I really don' know what to do. Im lost.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm literally in this dilemma too. I know there are some universities which will accept predictions of ABB, but there not really the ones I had in mind until this results day. I really wanted Manchester and although it states ABB-AAA on the website, I emailed the admissions tutors in which they told me that the A had to be in a Science subject and since I got C's in Chemistry and Maths so I'll only be predicted B's, I can't apply there anymore.

I've never really been interested in Microbiology, so I can't help that much there, but biomedical science maybe?
Reply 7
Original post by Mr. Nik
AS results surprised me this year. I don't think anyone expected the level of difficulty.

However, if you can see yourself enjoying pharmacy in the future, then look deeper for universities. There are many universities that have relatively low offers.
Also, your GCSEs count. If those are As and Bs, then they will balance your AS.

Another option is retaking a few units to score higher. It will be some work though :/ You could consider dropping the D and improving on your other subjects (AS or A2).

If all else fails, look for overseas universities e.g. Ireland, France.. Foreign languages could come in handy.

Hope I helped and I think there's always a place for everyone if you search or work hard enough :smile:

I've found universities that would accept ABB so I know I can still hopefully get offers. I was just hoping for Manchester and Bath to be on the list on places I apply which is no longer going to happen anymore :frown:

Luckily my GCSE's were A*s and A's so if they count and they really look at them, I'm hoping they will see I have potentially to definitely pull this back this year if I work incredibly hard and stay focused.

I've never considered Ireland, but now you mention it, that could work out quite well. Thanks for that suggestion!

Also, thanks for your positive energy in the post :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by ChloeB43
I got my AS Results back last Thursday and although I was disappointed, I looked on the bright side of it and thought my predicted grades will be ABB as my school predicts one higher than the AS results you received. I got BCCD in them. The B was 1 ums off an A so I'm getting it remarked.

I wanted to know if anyone had similar AS grades/Predicted A2 grades and managed to get an offer for Pharmacy and if so, which Universities gave them the offer and was it a straight out conditional offer or did you have to go through the interview process.

I got an ACC in Maths, Chemistry and Biology at AS Level. In year 13 when I applied I was predicted ABB and I got an conditional offer from Keele, Huddersfield, Liverpool John moors, Bradford and uclan.
I personally think you got good AS results and if you get predicted ABB you will get an offer if your personal statement is good. Make sure you do some work experience in a chemists even if its only for 1 day and do some voluntary work too, write about both of these in you personal statement.
Good Luck:smile:
Reply 9
I've found universities that would accept ABB so I know I can still hopefully get offers. I was just hoping for Manchester and Bath to be on the list on places I apply which is no longer going to happen anymore :frown:

Luckily my GCSE's were A*s and A's so if they count and they really look at them, I'm hoping they will see I have potentially to definitely pull this back this year if I work incredibly hard and stay focused.

I've never considered Ireland, but now you mention it, that could work out quite well. Thanks for that suggestion!

Also, thanks for your positive energy in the post :tongue:

You can still apply to Manchester I'm sure they give offers between ABB-AAB at A Level.
Reply 10
Original post by afi.farooq
I got an ACC in Maths, Chemistry and Biology at AS Level. In year 13 when I applied I was predicted ABB and I got an conditional offer from Keele, Huddersfield, Liverpool John moors, Bradford and uclan.
I personally think you got good AS results and if you get predicted ABB you will get an offer if your personal statement is good. Make sure you do some work experience in a chemists even if its only for 1 day and do some voluntary work too, write about both of these in you personal statement.
Good Luck:smile:

Oh, well done with that! Unfortunately, I don't do Biology which wipes out LJM. I'm pretty certain ABB will be my predicted and I've been in touch with Cooperative Pharmacy who said they would be in touch shortly with details of work experience.

Which university did you go for in the end? And in which year did you apply?

Also, for your other post, Manchester is no longer a possibility because my A will be predicted in Geography not Chemistry or Maths as I got C's in them at AS and Manchester have been in touch with me and stated that the predicted A must be in a science subject :frown:
Reply 11
Oh, well done with that! Unfortunately, I don't do Biology which wipes out LJM. I'm pretty certain ABB will be my predicted and I've been in touch with Cooperative Pharmacy who said they would be in touch shortly with details of work experience.

Also, for your other post, Manchester is no longer a possibility because my A will be predicted in Geography not Chemistry or Maths as I got C's in them at AS and Manchester have been in touch with me and stated that the predicted A must be in a science subject :frown:

I went for Bradford at the end because they offer a 5 year course which includes the per-registration year so once I finish my degree I will be a fully qualified Pharmacist. I applied last year.

I'm sorry to hear that Manchester wouldn't accept because you got C's in Chemistry and Maths AS level.
You seem like someone who really wants to study Pharmacy. If you work hard and get at least AAB you might be able to adjust during clearing. This year Aston university, Birmingham university and Manchester were all in clearing for pharmacy.

Cooperative Pharmacy also sometimes have vacancies available on saturdays or take students in for the holidays for healthcare/dispensing assistant jobs so keep a look out for them on their website- https://careers.co-operative.jobs/careers/location.aspx?loc=&keyword=&fo=false&ph=true&fu=false&cl=false&gh=false&sp=false&cf=false&tr=false

Btw I am currently a Third year pharmacy student at University of Bradford and work for The Co-operative pharmacy part-time. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by afi.farooq
I went for Bradford at the end because they offer a 5 year course which includes the per-registration year so once I finish my degree I will be a fully qualified Pharmacist. I applied last year.

I'm sorry to hear that Manchester wouldn't accept because you got C's in Chemistry and Maths AS level.
You seem like someone who really wants to study Pharmacy. If you work hard and get at least AAB you might be able to adjust during clearing. This year Aston university, Birmingham university and Manchester were all in clearing for pharmacy.

Oh, that sounds really good as at least you don't have to worry about finding a job afterwards. I was slightly gutted, but then I realised that ultimately I just want to study Pharmacy and I don't really mind where I go, of course I have favourites, but to get one offer would make me happy :-)

Yes, I heard Aston was still in clearing until last week. Manchester was only in clearing for International students though which I thought was a little weird haha
Reply 14
Original post by greenlantern
Cooperative Pharmacy also sometimes have vacancies available on saturdays or take students in for the holidays for healthcare/dispensing assistant jobs so keep a look out for them on their website- https://careers.co-operative.jobs/careers/location.aspx?loc=&keyword=&fo=false&ph=true&fu=false&cl=false&gh=false&sp=false&cf=false&tr=false

Btw I am currently a Third year pharmacy student at University of Bradford and work for The Co-operative pharmacy part-time. :smile:

Oh okay, thanks that's really helpful. I'll definitely be checking that out. I wrote to their superintendent last week and they've replied saying a member of the team will be in touch 'shortly' to discuss a work placement. However, this was Friday night I think and I'm hoping they just didn't fob me off with that as I really need this work experience.

Can I ask, in your personal statement which points did you address? I've been reading a few on here and some mention about their subjects they study and try and link them to the course and other people just choose not to mention their A Level subjects. What do you advise?
Oh okay, thanks that's really helpful. I'll definitely be checking that out. I wrote to their superintendent last week and they've replied saying a member of the team will be in touch 'shortly' to discuss a work placement. However, this was Friday night I think and I'm hoping they just didn't fob me off with that as I really need this work experience.

Can I ask, in your personal statement which points did you address? I've been reading a few on here and some mention about their subjects they study and try and link them to the course and other people just choose not to mention their A Level subjects. What do you advise?

From what I have seen people's personal statement which slightly differ stands out more. You can find lots of examples through internet search to get an idea (as you are already doing which is good), many are probably better than mine as pharmacy was my back-up to medicine and so my PS was not specific to pharmacy.

I did mention my a-level subjects along with a short sentence for each of how they can help me on my course on my PS. However as u will have already mentioned them on your ucas form along with your grades it may not be as necessary if there's anything more important u would like to include in your PS instead such as what u have learned from your work experience etc. Also start finishing an early draft and show it to your chemistry teacher or tutor as they are likely to be able to give u good advise on improvements u can make. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest