The Student Room Group

I think I got clocked by hand held speed gun

I was driving along the A3 at 60-70 mph this morning, the A3 is a 50 mph zone. It's only as I was going past, I realised that a policeman was standing there with a hand held speed gun.

Now I'm wondering what I should expect in terms of prosecution. There seem to be mixed views on the net. Some people say that when police have hand held speed guns they stop you there and then. Others say that one should expect a penalty notice in the post over the next two weeks.

Had anyone on this forum ever got a ticket from a speed gun?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
It took about three weeks to come through the post. 3 points plus £60 fine at the time.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
Yes.
It took about three weeks to come through the post. 3 points plus £60 fine at the time.

As far as I'm aware it's only enforceable if it comes within two weeks.
Not sure. It may have been dated and issued within two weeks and taken a few days to arrive (as it was a while ago), but the OP was wondering if you could receive a ticket from a mobile camera and the answer is yes you can..
Reply 4
Original post by bamtutor
Not sure. It may have been dated and issued within two weeks and taken a few days to arrive (as it was a while ago), but the OP was wondering if you could receive a ticket from a mobile camera and the answer is yes you can..

Was it a hand held camera or a camera van?
Not sure as I didn't even see it. Police on top of a bridge overlooking Motorway. As you can normally see vans on bridges, I am assuming it was a hand held at the edge as I see those quite often on my travels and they do 'hide' in corners...
Reply 6
Expect a ticket if you were going that fast but bear in mind that your Speedometer is set at higher than the actual speed you would be travelling at (usually by 10% to take into account margin for error).
Reply 7
Usually, if its a Police Officer with a handheld speed gun, they are usually looking for people doing excessive speeds, and will have a threshold which is quite a way above the posted limit. For example, on a 50mph road, the threshold could be 75mph. If you're doing below this, even though it could be well above the speed limit, they will just ignore it. If you exceed it however, you will usually be pulled over a bit further down the road and given a FPN/court summons, rather than receiving a FPN in the post.

If it's a speed camera van however, they're usually after people who exceed the limit at all, so they'll be catching people whether they do 55mph or 95mph. Usually you'll receive a FPN through the post within 14 days if this is the case.

That is how it usually happens anyway. You may be unfortunate and receive a FPN for it, but if you do it'll only be £60 + 3 points, and any extra amount that your insurers feel the need to charge you, for the next 3 years. The important thing is to learn from your mistake and not do it again.

If it has been more than 14 days after the offence then it'll be unlikely you will be prosecuted, as the date that the FPN was sent must be within 14 days or it won't be valid.
Reply 8
My understanding was the Policemen with the speed guns at the side of the road /on top of the bridges you get sent a FPN within 14 days.

Whereas its Policeman in their Police car on the road/hiding behind/bushes/sliproad you get stopped
Reply 9
Also see the pepipoo forums.

Daniel
Reply 10
consider it karma for speeding...
Reply 11
Also that....

Although having been caught a few times myself a few years back, it doesn't feel awesome at the time!
Reply 12
I haven't yet received anything, but I've been told that if they were going to do me for speeding, it would have been an on the spot fine.

The police who stand on the side of the road do on the spot fines. Unlike fixed cameras and camera vans.
Reply 13
Either way, its worth taking as lesson and reminder.

I got caught three times in a year, after driving clean of points for four years, and with 11 points out of the 12 very nearly lost me license.

They have all now expired and im back to being points free, but while life is life, if I had have taken the first time as a bit more of a lesson I might have save myself a few quid and 30months of driving knowing that if I got caught I would loose it.

Daniel
Reply 14
Original post by babygirl110
I haven't yet received anything, but I've been told that if they were going to do me for speeding, it would have been an on the spot fine.

How exactly does a policemen standing on the side do an on the spot fine for a car driving at excessive speeds?
Often police with handheld guns will have other police futher down the road who they will radio details of speeding cars to so they can pull them over. The outcome can vary. Sometimes they will pull people who are clearly over the limit. Especially if at blackspots or outside schools though they might pull everyone who is even a little over the limit, but only ticket those who are quite a bit over. Those only just over might get a talking to and a warning and then let go.
Reply 16
Original post by babygirl110
I was driving along the A3 at 60-70 mph this morning, the A3 is a 50 mph zone. It's only as I was going past, I realised that a policeman was standing there with a hand held speed gun.

Now I'm wondering what I should expect in terms of prosecution. There seem to be mixed views on the net. Some people say that when police have hand held speed guns they stop you there and then. Others say that one should expect a penalty notice in the post over the next two weeks.

Had anyone on this forum ever got a ticket from a speed gun?

Just like the Halo 3 multiplayer narrator:

ASSASSINATION!
Original post by Henrikh
Expect a ticket if you were going that fast but bear in mind that your Speedometer is set at higher than the actual speed you would be travelling at (usually by 10% to take into account margin for error).

This is incorrect, and my scientific analysis can prove it. When stationary my speedo reads 0mph (not 1 or 2mph) so it is definitely 100% accurate. This only applies to my speedo obviously.
Reply 18
Original post by Yawn11
How exactly does a policemen standing on the side do an on the spot fine for a car driving at excessive speeds?

They alert their colleagues to catch you ahead
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by dhutch
Either way, its worth taking as lesson and reminder.

I got caught three times in a year, after driving clean of points for four years, and with 11 points out of the 12 very nearly lost me license.

They have all now expired and im back to being points free, but while life is life, if I had have taken the first time as a bit more of a lesson I might have save myself a few quid and 30months of driving knowing that if I got caught I would loose it.

Daniel

Thanks for the advice

Latest