The Student Room Group

Judge orders Muslim women to remove burka in Court

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't think full covering is necessary, (all the body is covered except from eyes) its just a choice. But I think it is necessary to wear hijab (cover the hair and bodily features e.g curves but you can show your face) . At least that's what I've gathered from hearing muslim speakers
Reply 81
Original post by PopaPork
But the Judge is a man and it is his court and he is in charge

should we allow Muslim women only to be judged by women and only allow staff that are women?

as I said we are all equal before the law

This isnt only about law. If its in the religion she cant do anything about it. It would have taken a minute for a female officer to check her. All she needs to do is lift it up. They have to respect our beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by imC0nfused
I don't think full covering is necessary, (all the body is covered except from eyes) its just a choice. But I think it is necessary to wear hijab (cover the hair and bodily features e.g curves but you can show your face) . At least that's what I've gathered from hearing muslim speakers

Your right, its not compulsory to wear. But if you do , men that aren't ur mehram (uncles, brothers, husband grandfather, etc) cant see you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Laila 247
men that aren't ur mehram (uncles, brothers, husband grandfather, etc) cant see you.

Then the world would come crashing down wouldn't it, if men could see her :rolleyes:

Even if it were a religious obligation (it isn't), such things shouldn't have a place in a courtroom. I believe Harry Potter is awesome, but I wouldn't wear a pointy hat and Dumbledore beard to court. It's the same thing.
It would have taken a minute for a female officer to check her.

It's not just about identity checking, it's about having an open and transparent legal process.

It's also about equality before the law. If you cannot wear a balaclava to court then a Muslim woman should not be allowed to wear a veil.

They have to respect our beliefs.

They really don't 'have to'. Should they respect the beliefs of people who believe in ghosts or communism?
Original post by Al-Mudaari
In Shariah she would have to remove it anyway (in the case of giving a testimony etc.), so not sure why this is making headlines? Daily Mail I guess...

Don't take this personally, but I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

There is Ikhtilaf on the issue, some scholars believe it's obligatory, some don't [there's evidence within Islam for both sides of the argument]. Just because you follow the scholars who say it's not an obligation, doesn't mean you can talk down on women who choose to follow the scholars that say it is an obligation.

Honestly is sad when I see Muslims insult/belittle women just because they wear the burka (99% of the time, them having done little research on the issue).

Just like how the Sunni talk down to the Shia or other denominations then?
One's personal religious beliefs do not override the crown justice system. The judge was quite right in making this demand. In fact, it would have been shameful if he didn't.

It is important for a face to be visible in court for two important reasons: confirmation of identity and seeing facial expressions. Covering someones face makes it difficult to read them, and there would indeed be a possibility that it isn't even the real defendant. The whole court needs to be able to see.
Reply 87
Your right, its not compulsory to wear. But if you do , men that aren't ur mehram (uncles, brothers, husband grandfather, etc) cant see you.

That's a bit strong. You've conceded that it isn't compulsory, hence it is a choice. Thus what you should argue is "You choose not to show your face to your mehram" (apologies if I've misused mehram, but I've just picked up its meaning from context and your explanation), which is a very weak argument when it comes to legal proceedings.
Reply 88
Original post by Hopple
That's a bit strong. You've conceded that it isn't compulsory, hence it is a choice. Thus what you should argue is "You choose not to show your face to your mehram" (apologies if I've misused mehram, but I've just picked up its meaning from context and your explanation), which is a very weak argument when it comes to legal proceedings.

i get what ur saying and it is ur choice .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending