The Student Room Group

How would I cope in A Level Biology and Chemistry?

I'm toying with the idea of the medical career, more specifically, in the Navy/Army. I got B's in my Biology and Chemistry GCSE's. How would I cope at A Level as I've heard A level is alot harder
Reply 1
A level is a lot harder than GCSE, focusing more on understanding as opposed to memory recall.

With B's it is perfectly feasible to achieve good grades at AS level and beyond but hard work is needed especially in the sciences.

Unfortunately unless you ask someone who knows you only you can provide the perfect answer to that question.
Reply 2
Original post by Dingo749
A level is a lot harder than GCSE, focusing more on understanding as opposed to memory recall.

With B's it is perfectly feasible to achieve good grades at AS level and beyond but hard work is needed especially in the sciences.

Unfortunately unless you ask someone who knows you only you can provide the perfect answer to that question.

I don't agree with that statement. My AS biology can be pretty much passed easily with simple memory recall. Although you do require certain degree of understanding, I learn all the mark schemed and managed to get a good grade.

So no, it is still centred around memory recall unfortunately. And to answer you question, how will you cope? HARD WORK.
Reply 3
I have just got an A in AS Biology having got an A*A in Double Science GCSE. It is harder than GCSE but if you work hard then you can get an A whether you got an A or a C at GCSE. Your A Level grades are a reflection of the effort you put in - with a B in GCSE you can be confident you'll do well at A Level, with a lot of hard work. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by star10159
I don't agree with that statement. My AS biology can be pretty much passed easily with simple memory recall. Although you do require certain degree of understanding, I learn all the mark schemed and managed to get a good grade.

So no, it is still centred around memory recall unfortunately. And to answer you question, how will you cope? HARD WORK.

I never did Biology so can't say for that but for Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry I was very much tested on my understanding in situations I had not come across before.

Especially in Chemistry as they asked questions on new chemical research and advances.
Reply 5
You have certainly met the GCSE requirements to study these subjects at A-Level.
Reply 6
As long as you work hard you will be fine. Just make sure you fully understand everything, especially with chemistry. some of the exam questions are come up time and time again but changed slightly so definitely do all the past papers when it comes around to exam time.

Quick Reply

Latest