The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Question 4 looked reeeaaalllly hard. Multiple hazards!

Q3 was just basically all the variations possible. I know i got what I needed, so I'm happy
Reply 2
I also did 3, didnt know enough about multiple hazard zones tbh! upon its classification of tectonic: i included volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, was this right seeing as what i've read classifies e/q and volcs as geomorphical and tectonic :confused: surely no hazard is purely one, due to its naturality??
Reply 3
Arrrrgggghhhhh.
I didnt like that exam:frown: I did question 3 i didnt know enough about multiple hazards. People who did q3 what did you put as the main factors infulencing social and economic impacts??
Reply 4
Thought it was ok. Although whenever I think about it I think of all the ways I could have improved what I wrote. And I didn't finish the conclusion :frown:
For factors influencing social and economic impacts, I looked at physical and human factors. But due to time, could only look at a few.
Physical - location, magnitude
Human - wealth of the country related to people's perception of the hazard and the way humans alter the physical environment.

I wouldn't worry about it Lucyj, I'm sure you'll do better than expected :smile:
I did question 3 too..tectonic hazards.. was ok.. thought it went quite well actually! much better than tuesdays :smile:
Reply 6
Yep, I agree, was much better than tuesday!
Did question 7, absolutely mucked up the timing though, only managed to do one strategy in depth, which was weak and didn't get time to do an international i.e. antarctica which was very important, extremely annoyed with myself! Although what I wrote was probable of an A grade standard just didn't do enough strategies, still did 10 sides though!
Reply 8
I think it went ok :/! I was surprised to see the multi-hazardous countries to come up, so i myself stuck to question 3 as well.

I started out by defining: Hazard (supported by the venn/dregg diagram); Social and Ecomnoic Status of a country and one or two sentences about other things too, and how the report was going to unfold with a contrast of case studies.

Did Kashmir 2005 and Los Angels of 1994 as my main case studies, and threw in Kobe, Japan to support that too, Along with a diagram of Hazard profile and Threshold diagram to support the big body of text about slimarites and differences of the impacts of the social/economic of the two completely different sprital variations! :/ Although i know now looking back at the notes that i could of added so much more, then again 8-)

Hope it went ok! :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Im glad I revised multiple hazards. I guess if you had examples the question was easy as the command word was ‘discuss’ so you could prove it was in places and wasn’t in others with examples, and the impacts differ between MEDC’s and LEDC’s.
Reply 10
heeeeey geographers!! erm, i did question 3. i think lots of people did - in my class anyway. yeah, i was surprised too to see the multiple hazards one.

oh well. i just chucked in as many case studies as possible, but only mentioned basic facts. i guess kobe was quite main for me. i said development was the most important factor... tho i talked about all things linked to that like management, funding, communications, preparedness and soooooo on. maybe i didnt do enough on physical, you know magnitude and frequency. oops.

oh well, its over now!! one left to go!!!!!!!!
xxx

ps: yup, i think if i had learnt multiple hazards well enough (japan for me) the question would have been quite okay... but cos i hadnt...i didnt! same for many ppl i think.
I had to rush near the end and only included case studies and figures of earthqukes and tsunamis. I hope I don't get penalised for not using volcanoes/Lahars!

ems33- Earthquakes and volcanoes are tectonic. :yy:

I drew a map and table of the indonesia tsunami showing the varying social effects dependent on distance from the epicenter, which looked cool.
Reply 12
question 3 i did too :smile:

i thought it went great :smile:

got a nice plan and essay structure, made some relevent points, and included the kobe, pakistan earthqueakes, montserrat and mt st helens volcanoes

=D
Reply 13
Biffy Clyro

ems33- Earthquakes and volcanoes are tectonic. :yy:

cheers. for case studies I did Kobe, Pakistan, Mexico City, Stromboli Volcano, Krakatau and the tsunami. I planned for 25 minutes cos I tht i couldnt write for the whole time lol, so ended up on my 2nd additional sheet :smile:
Yeh, i did question 3 aswell with tectonic hazards. Wasn't too bad, definitely came out feeling much better than global challenge - that was awful! Argh.

Wrote about factors like vulnerability i.e. on tectonic plates, and also types of buildings, economic status i.e. LEDC/MEDC and also level of preparation. I used Kobe, Mt. St. Helens and Pakistan earthquake. Realised in the exam that i'd never actually practised writing conclusions before, oh well! Come on synoptic - then theres no more geography! Woo! :smile:

--------------------
First Choice - UCL - BBC
Second Choice - Oxford Brookes - CCC
Course: BSc Urban Planning, Design and Management
Reply 15
:ditto: to the no more geography. I may do a celebratory dance on monday come 3.30!!!
did Q3 tectonics, if there had to be a question i wanted it was that, second then in my preference wud have been multi hazards so it was good in that respect.

however, out of interest, did any of you get maps like normal? we didnt. i had to draw one which meant i was the seat of my pants getting my conclusions done, the invigilator was alomst tearing it from my grasp, well she said finish your sentence. it was a long sentence
Reply 17
ahh i did question 4

our skl have done loads on multiple hazard zones so it was gd!!

:biggrin:
Reply 18
i did question 3, thought it was alright, chatting about

Type
Frequency
Magnitude
Population Vulnerability
Land use

I thought that is was ok in the end

but my exam indivulator, worst one ever, she was reading a paper, very loudly, kept opening and closing fizzy drinks, and burping (yes yes it was a woman) kept huffing around putting signs outside about silence, had a go at herself due to her crap maths when writing the times on the top, had a nice chit chat with someone doing thier exam saying things like "o yes youve done that, very good" kept repeting that we had to fill in the top of the sheet, juts basically wouldnt shut up, and was ugly and old

Grrr! :P
Reply 19
Question 6 - Pollution and a sustainable future.

It was great! I was up til 2:15AM (yep, 2:15) revising, but only managed to get two complete case studies done. Lo and behold, the exam question this morning was perfect for me to use those two! Yippee! Now it's just the Synoptic on Monday and my Physics Synoptic on Thursday and all my exams are done! :biggrin:

- Yorkie.

Latest

Trending

Trending