The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Question 4 was so easy! I just shoved in everything I knew. Ah, I'm so happy. Now, what do people know about Sri Lanka? :biggrin:
Reply 21
I never got a world map. I wanted to draw the Brandt line, but wasnt overly important in the end as i put in the Dregg and Parks models. I also drew an illustrative graph about tectonic hazards.

It was a nice exam, much better than tuesday, feel a bit more confident about the overall outcome.

***REP FOR ANYONE WHO POSTS SOME NOTES FOR MONDAYS EXAM***
Reply 23
Thanks for those blondemoment :smile:
Reply 24
wooo, was a goood exam! i did Q4 multiple hazards aswell lil sarah (i think i know who u are) lol, had loadsa good examples too!
Reply 25
blondemoment
this is everything i have, consider it a complilation

Please have my children. They're frail and ugly, but need love too.
argh, technology! i put more than 3 up!!!!!! i think it doesnt like mac docs, sorry cucks will paste to word in due time, and if they have already been posted, sorry but atleast they will be all in one place.

you want me to have your babies? im worried
also, ppl notice, there is one example of sustainable tourism that is actually site four amungst those
Reply 28
I did Question 3
Factors which influence social and economic impacts on (and i chose) Tectonic Hazards:

My hazards were
Volcanoes
Earthquakes (Tsunamis)
Landslides (Caused by earthquakes)

My main factors were:

Magnitude: Defined by richter scale - naturally low magnitude will not have as large impacts. However some similar mag earthquakes have different impacts (Kashmir/Kobe)

Physical Location: Indonesia affected by Tsunami due to tectonic boundary location and low lying islands with shallow waters magnifying tsunami waves.

Time of Day: Californian earthquake (1994) was in middle of sports event whilst Kobe/Indian ocean earthquakes were in early hours of morning

Awareness: Mt St Helens: Huge awareness saving hundreds of lives - Some deaths due to unprecidented magnitude and unwillingness to evacuate.
Not just for MEDCs...mt Pinatubo had massive evacuation saving hundreds of thousands of lives.
Phillipines leyte mudslides - locals aware of threat from rain loosening soil etc.

Conclusion stated a few more with examples ie. Density and development and that no factor is independant and they are all linked when the hazard occurs and sometimes combine to create damaging effects.

I think i did not too bad but I'm not sure if i talked about the social impacts/eco impacts as much as I should have. I certainly didn't define them clearly at the start...wish i did that now:rolleyes:
I done question 3 with response to tectonic hazards cos i knew most case studies for this one. I felt i could have done better if i didnt slow my writing speed down to make it more readable. It seemed fairly easy though, even if you didnt know theory, you could have used your common sense... i pray my coursework was better this time round though.
Reply 30
blondemoment
also, ppl notice, there is one example of sustainable tourism that is actually site four amungst those

where is site 4? i cannot see it. nice if u could point it out 4 me.

Cheers
I am a little stressed as I didnt' mention any volcanoes in my tectonic choice - i thought these would be classes as geomorphic.
I did question 3 and used Kobe earthquake, Izmit , Mexico City and the Boxing Day tsunami as my main case studies, and backed them up with drop-in ones like the Indonesian one last month, the Papua New Guinea tsunami and the loma prieta earthquake.
I talked about role of education, warning systems, knowledge, familiarity, government, economic wealth etc in influencing social factors, and dependency on trade (therefore feeling the impact more), development status and infrastructure for economic factors.
I concluded with future ideas, summarised main points, and finalised by saying that sometimes mother nature defys all and we have to shed out cornucopian attutides of constantly overthrowing things...bla bla
I thought it went quite well but now i'm stressing that i didnt use the right case studies, which surely will throw the whole thing out? this was a resit and really needed to do well to pick up marks seeing as i messed up that other one t'other day :frown:
misspolkadots
I am a little stressed as I didnt' mention any volcanoes in my tectonic choice - i thought these would be classes as geomorphic.
I did question 3 and used Kobe earthquake, Izmit , Mexico City and the Boxing Day tsunami as my main case studies, and backed them up with drop-in ones like the Indonesian one last month, the Papua New Guinea tsunami and the loma prieta earthquake.
I talked about role of education, warning systems, knowledge, familiarity, government, economic wealth etc in influencing social factors, and dependency on trade (therefore feeling the impact more), development status and infrastructure for economic factors.
I concluded with future ideas, summarised main points, and finalised by saying that sometimes mother nature defys all and we have to shed out cornucopian attutides of constantly overthrowing things...bla bla
I thought it went quite well but now i'm stressing that i didnt use the right case studies, which surely will throw the whole thing out? this was a resit and really needed to do well to pick up marks seeing as i messed up that other one t'other day :frown:

What you did sounds a lot like what I did, and I'm pretty confident. I didn't use volcanoes, but as long as you used at least 2 types of tectonic hazard (which you did) I think your'll be fine.
Reply 33
I did Climatic on Question 3, as I didn't have enough case studies for the other ones.

I would have done tectonic, people have said they put volcanoes in with that one, I thought that was Geomorphic??
I would have done tectonic, people have said they put volcanoes in with that one, I thought that was Geomorphic??

They are definatly tectonic, although I believe they can be called geomorphic as well.
Reply 35
yeh i found my handout from edexcel and it seems according to them, glad cos its what i did, tectonic is e/q and volc, and additionally tsunamis (strictly secondary) think i made that clear in my essay!
the hazards exam is only worth 7.5% right?
yea, its only 7.5%, sounds like nothing... but means a lot spesh with the synoptic paper I dont know anyone who has done it and got over 100 in the paper.
Damm so its hard to get good marks on synoptic?
Reply 39
Lucyj
Damm so its hard to get good marks on synoptic?

Nope, the mark scheme is very generalised there is no right or wrong answer as long as you back it up!

Latest

Trending

Trending