The Student Room Group

Camp America / Americamp 2014

Scroll to see replies

For the J1 you've just got to prove that you've got something to come home for, so a student loan, a job, a phone contract anything like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did it last year and it was amazing, I went with Americamp, and basically you couldn't do it unless you were free from like the first week of June. But I didn't have amazing skills, and still got placed, I wasn't a lifeguard or anything!

Anyway, i was going to go with Camp America but then I looked at americamps prices and spoke to them, they were really nice and with camp America I didn't feel like I was welcome to apply. I also rang camp leaders I think but it didn't sell to me well! But yeah, I then went travelling to Vegas after camp with the money I earnt as my salary, and I couldn't have done that with anyone else because Vegas is expensive haha!

but if you have any questions I, happy to help out and offer advice or anything!
Am thinking of applying to camp America this year. Does it matter if you don't have a lot of experience with kids?
Original post by steviebubbles93
Am thinking of applying to camp America this year. Does it matter if you don't have a lot of experience with kids?

I've just babysitting and 2 workshops I did with college to school kids. Anything like prefect or peer mentoring helps as well I've heard. I've been placed so I think not having tonnes doesn't matter. Don't want to keep your hopes up though, if you have literally nothing, try coaching or babysitting and stuff like that.

If you're applying for the counsellor role they do like you to have some childcare experience. It's one of the areas that they talk about during the interview. But the Campower role (which is behind the scenes work e.g. maintenance) doesn't really require childcare experience, so you could definitely still apply for that!!!
In the Camp power role do you still get to take part in the activities going on in the camp?
Reply 26
In the Camp power role do you still get to take part in the activities going on in the camp?

Yes you just dont need to look after the children! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Was thinking of applying for Americamp for the 2015 summer and one requirement is to be available between june and late august but idk when A-Level exams will end. Can anyone help me?
I may apply for 2015 Americamp.......anybody else?
Hi, so how old were you when you did it? Because I wanted to do it in the summer after I had finished my A-Levels and before going to University, but is that not possible? Would you have to take a gap year to do it?
I am currently in my last year of high school in Scotland and I am (hopefully, if I get placed!) going to camp in 2015 before Uni, as long as you are 18 before the cut off point, you will be fine, It shouldn't clash with Uni dates either and uni starts quite late compared to camp finishing but it all depends what camp you go to!

Original post by bethani_rose
Hi, so how old were you when you did it? Because I wanted to do it in the summer after I had finished my A-Levels and before going to University, but is that not possible? Would you have to take a gap year to do it?
Original post by daniellef116
Hi! I am 17 at the moment, 18 in October and I am just wondering if anyway could tell me what Camp America is like? Is it worth doing? Do people get home sick? I have loadssss of questions before I consider doing it so if someone could help me please message back?? Thanks!

Hi Danielle!

Pretty much, Camp America is.... awesome! It's one of those experiences that you will NEVER forget. You get to meet amazing new people from all over the world, work with incredible kids, and then get the chance to travel one of the most amazing countries in the world after camp is finished!

Some people do certainly get homesick, but only at first. Within the first couple of days, everyone gets in to the camp spirit and ends up being too busy and having too much fun to think about home!

We're always around for questions, so if you have any more then just ask away :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by xtinalouise
I may apply for 2015 Americamp.......anybody else?

Me! Late reply, but I've just spent about 6 hours looking at Camp America related camps and videos, then realised that I'd probably actually lose money going with them and looked at Americamp, They really have hardly any information online though and quite a bad website so it's annoying. I don't know what to do!
Original post by Mojojojo
Me! Late reply, but I've just spent about 6 hours looking at Camp America related camps and videos, then realised that I'd probably actually lose money going with them and looked at Americamp, They really have hardly any information online though and quite a bad website so it's annoying. I don't know what to do!

Hey Mojo

How are you? Did you have a good Christmas?

Can we help at all on here? Probably spent too much time eating biscuits than on the website!

x :colondollar:
Original post by AmeriCamp
Hey Mojo

How are you? Did you have a good Christmas?

Can we help at all on here? Probably spent too much time eating biscuits than on the website!

x :colondollar:

Hi, I sent you a personal message with some questions :smile:
Hi, I was thinking of applying to Camp America for 2015, but I've only now thought about doing it so I missed all the information days :/ I was hoping someone could help me out with a few things that I can't find on their website?

- When is the deadline for applications? The site says a lot about late applications, but doesn't actually define when an application becomes late!
- When I mentioned Camp America to my parents they were under the impression that it was only for like, really sporty and athletic people? I'm a pretty decent swimmer, runner etc but I'm not much cop at football etc, even though I do enjoy taking part! I'd really appreciate an answer from somebody similar that's attended before if possible; I don't really want to apply, get a place and then hate it for 9 weeks! lol

Thanks
Original post by connoliam
Hi, I was thinking of applying to Camp America for 2015, but I've only now thought about doing it so I missed all the information days :/ I was hoping someone could help me out with a few things that I can't find on their website?

- When is the deadline for applications? The site says a lot about late applications, but doesn't actually define when an application becomes late!
- When I mentioned Camp America to my parents they were under the impression that it was only for like, really sporty and athletic people? I'm a pretty decent swimmer, runner etc but I'm not much cop at football etc, even though I do enjoy taking part! I'd really appreciate an answer from somebody similar that's attended before if possible; I don't really want to apply, get a place and then hate it for 9 weeks! lol

Thanks

Conno

How are you?

Did you have a good Christmas?

Firstly go to www.AmeriCamp.co.uk and register, it's very competitive so you have to get in early.

We also have camp fairs coming up and you can sign up for them by clicking on the link below:

http://www.americamp.co.uk/about/camp-fairs-2014/

You don't have to be an expert in certain fields, just try your very best.

Let us know if we can be of any help at all

x :smile:
Original post by AmeriCamp
Conno

How are you?

Did you have a good Christmas?

Firstly go to www.AmeriCamp.co.uk and register, it's very competitive so you have to get in early.

We also have camp fairs coming up and you can sign up for them by clicking on the link below:

http://www.americamp.co.uk/about/camp-fairs-2014/

You don't have to be an expert in certain fields, just try your very best.

Let us know if we can be of any help at all

x :smile:

I just read on your website that 'you can get hired by one of 6 american summer camps in attendance' to the job fairs. That can't be right, can it? Only 6?!
Original post by Mojojojo
I just read on your website that 'you can get hired by one of 6 american summer camps in attendance' to the job fairs. That can't be right, can it? Only 6?!

We fear that our IT boffins might not be great at Maths, must have been partying too much over Christmas! x
Reply 39
Original post by geekfest92
Hiya! I'm graduating this year in early July, but most of the American camps begin in June. Does anyone by any chance know any that would allow me to start work in early July? Thank you!

Keep in mind that you can "graduate in absentia", where you receive it in the post, or at least you could for my University.
If you do this you could still hire a gown and take some photos with your friends and family.

Quick Reply

Latest