The Student Room Group

Should I take Physics A-Level?

I got my GCSE results yesterday and had an overall A in Physics (triple award), I also had full marks (A*) in my P3 exam which is the one I sat in June. I wasn't really considering taking it on because id heard it was the 'hardest' A Level you could take, until I found out I had full marks in the paper which is the hardest out of the three physics exams I sat through my two years of doing GCSEs. But I only got a B in my Maths exam which I was happy with, however are my grades good enough for A Level Physics? If I did take it, is it helpful if I take maths as well? Even though I only got a B in Maths? Would I be able to manage it? I was really interested in what we were taught in GCSE and enjoyed the lessons.
I would appreciate some advice as I have no clue what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think they're good enough, B in maths still a bit shaky. But go for it!
Yes. It opens your mind up to the ever growing possibilities in the universe.
My friend got a B in Maths at GCSE and is predicted A* for A2 in A-level physics now so it's certainly possible.
Reply 4
Go for it! Physics is great and the mathematical content isn't too stretching at all :smile:
I love physics, but if I wasn't interested in it I wouldn't have done an A-Level in it.

Also, chemistry is a lot harder than physics!
Original post by SpiggyTopes
I love physics, but if I wasn't interested in it I wouldn't have done an A-Level in it.

I found it wasn't necessarily harder, but it took up more of my time because of lab work, and it just became a bit too much.
Original post by RunningScotsman
I found it wasn't necessarily harder, but it took up more of my time because of lab work, and it just became a bit too much.

I found each individual but we did slightly easier in chemistry, but there was about twice as much on the syllabus so it was really tough!
Reply 8
I found each individual but we did slightly easier in chemistry, but there was about twice as much on the syllabus so it was really tough!

Twice as much on the syllabus for physics rather than chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EvansR
Twice as much on the syllabus for physics rather than chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The other way around, but yes, that's what I'd guess (I did AQA if it makes any difference).
It's hard, it can get so hard that you'll lose your mind.
At the same time you'll love being so challenged
Original post by Lord Frieza
It's hard, it can get so hard that you'll lose your mind.
At the same time you'll love being so challenged

I think difficulty is subjective, I mean I found A level physics quite relaxed, but struggled with history. Not everyone finds the same subjects hard, its just a matter of how you approach the syllabus.
Reply 12
Original post by RunningScotsman
I think difficulty is subjective, I mean I found A level physics quite relaxed, but struggled with history. Not everyone finds the same subjects hard, its just a matter of how you approach the syllabus.

I personally found it the easiest out of the three in GCSE, I found Biology the hardest I just couldn't grasp it, where as everyone else were completely the opposite, I'm just questioning whether ill be able to handle the maths side of it as apparently that's the hardest part?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by EvansR
I personally found it the easiest out of the three in GCSE, I found Biology the hardest I just couldn't grasp it, where as everyone else were completely the opposite, I'm just questioning whether ill be able to handle the maths side of it as apparently that's the hardest part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the maths part of it is pretty much re-arranging equations, and sometimes subbing the re-arranged form into a different equation. I've had friends do Physics with me at A level after dropping maths after AS, and while it takes them a bit longer to understand what some maths terms mean, they coped perfectly fine.
Reply 14
Original post by JustJim
the maths part of it is pretty much re-arranging equations, and sometimes subbing the re-arranged form into a different equation. I've had friends do Physics with me at A level after dropping maths after AS, and while it takes them a bit longer to understand what some maths terms mean, they coped perfectly fine.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

At A level? Disagree!

To OP yeah you should be fine.
Without trying to sound cocky, Physics at AS is a piece of cake, in my opinion. You do not need to be good at Maths for it, this is a big misconception. I am pretty poor at Maths and did really well at it. It is mainly simple rearranging/substituting equations and generic mark scheme answers.The hardest science subject imo is Chemistry.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by scientific222
Without trying to sound cocky, Physics at AS is a piece of cake, in my opinion. You do not need to be good at Maths for it, this is a big misconception. I am pretty poor at Maths and did really well at it. It is mainly simple rearranging/substituting equations and generic mark scheme answers.The hardest science subject imo is Chemistry.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I found chemistry and biology a lot harder than physics, I found that even the teachers we spoke to about a level choices weren't very helpful, it was like she didn't see the point in me doing it and she couldn't understand why I wasn't doing biology instead, despite the fact that I was only scraping a C in it because I didn't like the subject at all, I felt like they were trying to talk me out of taking phys because I was incapable and they said that I'd fail miserably without taking maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I think if you're interested in Physics you should take it! The concepts are a lot more interesting and challenging compared to GCSE (like most subjects). I found it quite hard, but everyone is different so you may find it ok :smile: Although I struggled at times it wasn't impossible - I found a lot of the course really interesting and I managed to do well in the end. Do you know what exam board you'd be on? It's useful to look up the course structure and content and see if you think you'd enjoy it.
I did Maths AS as well as Physics, basically at my school we had one class who did Maths as well as Physics and a class who didn't do Maths. As far as I'm aware they were not in any way disadvantaged, my Physics teacher said that they design the course so that you don't need to know any AS Maths concepts, you just need to know Maths at a GCSE level. So as long as you passed Maths (which you did) you should be fine with the Maths side of it :smile:
I say go for it, if you're interested and you work hard you'll have no problem!
Even though Physics does not require Maths, I would recommend choosing the two together. What other subjects are you planning to take; and have you thought about which course you will apply to after AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest