The Student Room Group

Subjects at A-level and science/maths courses at Oxbridge

Hey!
After getting my results back yesterday I got 9A*s and 3As including an A^ in further maths, (I was so ecstatic when I received these) and I've decided that I'm gonna take Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths for A-Level.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows if I could apply for Natural sciences/physics or Maths at Oxbridge with these subjects. Also I'm curious as to how competitive these courses are and what my chances are in addition to what grades at A2 I should be expecting to get. Finally should I drop any of these for A2 or continue all 4 subjects into A2.

Sorry for so many question but any insight/opinions on this is very much welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Johnny96
Hey!
After getting my results back yesterday I got 9A*s and 3As including an A^ in further maths, (I was so ecstatic when I received these) and I've decided that I'm gonna take Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths for A-Level.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows if I could apply for Natural sciences/physics or Maths at Oxbridge with these subjects. Also I'm curious as to how competitive these courses are and what my chances are in addition to what grades at A2 I should be expecting to get. Finally should I drop any of these for A2 or continue all 4 subjects into A2.

Sorry for so many question but any insight/opinions on this is very much welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

They are the best set of A-levels for Natural Sciences, physics or maths. I do physics and probably 90% of people have those same subject choices. As far as your chance of getting in, there are roughly 5 applicants per place and since we don't know how good you are, we can't tell you any more than that. Most successful applicants (but not all) carry on all 4 and get 4 A*s.
Reply 2
Thanks for the response!
When you say there are 5 applicants per place, I'm assuming that you mean just for Oxbridge? (Or do you mean in that course overall?) Also when you say that you're studying physics is that at A-level or Uni? (I'm assuming that you mean Uni. If so how are you finding it and have you got any advice/tips for me?)

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

Just to confirm, that's definitely the best combination for Phys NatSci or Maths at Oxbridge. I would say you should probably continue all 4 to A2, and obviously aim for 4A*, since you might as well aim for the best grades possible.
Reply 4
Thanks for the response!
When you say there are 5 applicants per place, I'm assuming that you mean just for Oxbridge? (Or do you mean in that course overall?) Also when you say that you're studying physics is that at A-level or Uni? (I'm assuming that you mean Uni. If so how are you finding it and have you got any advice/tips for me?)

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's at Oxbridge. I'm afraid I don't know what it's like at other unis. I'm doing physics at Oxford at the moment. Best piece of advice is probably to do as much maths as you can, it's so much more important than physics once you get to uni because physics A-level is so terrible.
Reply 5
Ah very nice and thanks for the advice! I'll defiantly be sure to do as much maths as I can at Uni.

May I just ask merely out of curiosity, what made you apply for Oxford and not Cambridge for physics? Also how did the interview/test go for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ah very nice and thanks for the advice! I'll defiantly be sure to do as much maths as I can at Uni.

May I just ask merely out of curiosity, what made you apply for Oxford and not Cambridge for physics? Also how did the interview/test go for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries. For me, it was as simple as:

1. I didn't want to only spend 50% of my time doing maths and physics in first year.
2. I preferred Oxford as a city.
3. I found Worcester the best college at either city by a long way.

The test wasn't too bad and I really enjoyed the interviews. Sure, the questions were tough and there were a lot that I couldn't do, but they were quite a fun experience.
Reply 7
Original post by SHELDON123
No worries. For me, it was as simple as:

1. I didn't want to only spend 50% of my time doing maths and physics in first year.
2. I preferred Oxford as a city.
3. I found Worcester the best college at either city by a long way.

The test wasn't too bad and I really enjoyed the interviews. Sure, the questions were tough and there were a lot that I couldn't do, but they were quite a fun experience.

Haha, I'm sure it would be a great experience :wink: Would you recommend doing an EPQ because It seems extremely fun yet rewarding as well, however I don't know if it will affect my A-Levels or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending