The Student Room Group

Don't know the path to take...

Umm, first time using this but hello guys...lol
I've got quite a problem on my hands...
I had predicted grades of A*AB in Maths, Computing and Physics but I didn't get those grades. In fact I missed a few exams due to some family predicaments and ridiculous exams such as the C3 maths exam. I ending up getting BCD - which was a total disappointment.
Consequently, I was unsuccessful with my Manchester and Nottingham offer of AAB and ABB respectively for Computer Science; therefore I have had to go through clearing.
Through clearing I have got offers from Kent, Essex and Brunel, and there are still unis like Surrey and Sussex with places out there for Computer Science. All my friends are going to uni as well and I feel like I'm going to be left behind. However, at the same time I feel resitting a year to get better grades and go to a better uni. My mentor also told me that my A Levels results don't show my true potential since I got 7A*s and 7As at GCSE.
To be honest, I'm really confused as whether to go through clearing to find a uni or resit another year. People say they never ask for A level results at a job interview; only GCSEs and your degree.
However, I don't want to just go to any uni, but one that is good for my course and that'll I'll be happy with. Furthermore, would I have to submit a different personal statement and would it become even harder to get into uni when I apply again?
Could I please have advice on this.:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Siegraze
Umm, first time using this but hello guys...lol
I've got quite a problem on my hands...
I had predicted grades of A*AB in Maths, Computing and Physics but I didn't get those grades. In fact I missed a few exams due to some family predicaments and ridiculous exams such as the C3 maths exam. I ending up getting BCD - which was a total disappointment.
Consequently, I was unsuccessful with my Manchester and Nottingham offer of AAB and ABB respectively for Computer Science; therefore I have had to go through clearing.
Through clearing I have got offers from Kent, Essex and Brunel, and there are still unis like Surrey and Sussex with places out there for Computer Science. All my friends are going to uni as well and I feel like I'm going to be left behind. However, at the same time I feel resitting a year to get better grades and go to a better uni. My mentor also told me that my A Levels results don't show my true potential since I got 7A*s and 7As at GCSE.
To be honest, I'm really confused as whether to go through clearing to find a uni or resit another year. People say they never ask for A level results at a job interview; only GCSEs and your degree.
However, I don't want to just go to any uni, but one that is good for my course and that'll I'll be happy with. Furthermore, would I have to submit a different personal statement and would it become even harder to get into uni when I apply again?
Could I please have advice on this.:confused:

To tell you the truth, at a job interview, they're only concerned with the highest level of qualification. So if you went uni they'd ask about your degree. If you didn't go uni they'd ask about A-levels. However either way everyone wants their employees to be able to speak and write English and do simple Maths, so most want C+ at GCSE in Eng and Maths.

Most employers will only care about your degree for your first or 2nd job after graduation and after that most people just look at experience.

Going to university does allow you to command a higher salary and makes you more respectable in the work place.

If you're not happy with your current available options of unis then I'd suggest use the year to resit your A-levels and reapply next year.

In terms of the UCAS statement, I don't believe you ahve to write a different one. As long as it's your own work and you haven't plagiarised then this should be fine. However to be completely sure- give a call to UCAS and explain your situation to them.

Hope this all helps.
Reply 2
hi, i was in the same issue, i got amazing gcse's, and gave up during a-levels and flopped. I initially wanted to retake the year as i thought better a-levels would help me. But i have soon found out that as long as you find the course you need through clearing and you have researched the uni enough, the degree is what's most important. I have not received my Manchester firm or my insurance, but instead i have gone through clearing and accepted a relatively below average university. I believe everything happens for a reason, if you are given the opportunity i suggest take it. Retaking the year is a waste of time, if you have been given the offer of your chosen course in clearing then really think about it, because at the end of the day, a degree is a degree, and you might feel left behind and sad if you don't decide to go to uni this year just like your friends.

Consider your choices :smile:
Reply 3
You would need a new PS, we were told at college it would be plagiarism, like submitting the same work for two similar modules on your course. Plus you'd surely want it to reflect the extra work you put in during the year, and to highlight your determination too succeed (by resitting to improve your grades)! :smile:

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself two questions-

·Will you be happy at one of the universities that have given you an offer?
·Are you settling for second best, just because your classmates are going to university?
Reply 4
If you want to resit a year only to improve your grades, i dont think that will work coz i have seen my friends who retook a year to improve grades but at the end, were unsuccessful. They got the grades what they got last year. So in my opinion, it's a waste of time if u are thinking to improve grades but i dont know, it doesnt mean that my friends couldnt do it means you couldnt do.
But i would suggest if u are getting offered from decent unis then its not bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending