The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
black_mamba
Anyone been to EA's assessment centre for a games tester job? I want to know what the expect....waaa! :p:

The memoirs of a former intern (or so I presume).
Reply 2
I'm not deluded, I know it will suck. :wink:

Pssst, I just need the money.
Reply 3
black_mamba
I'm not deluded, I know it will suck. :wink:

Pssst, I just need the money.

Be that as it may, there are less degrading forms of prostitution on offer. (i.e. literal.)
Reply 4
Judging on the poor patches for BF2 (that introduce more bugs than they fix) i would have thought anyone can get a job there :wink:
Reply 5
I don't mind sleeping with Super Mario for cash. :biggrin: No wait, wrong company...
how does one apply ? lol seems pretty cool for a bit of cash on the side
Reply 7
Hmm the ad on the EA job site has just dissapeared. Seems they've rounded up enough minions for this year... :eek:
Reply 8
EA actually test their games? Blimey, thats a shock to the system, the quality of their latest offering begs to differ i think!
Reply 9
Really? Can't say I've played many EA games, just James Bond Nightfire and NeedforSpeed, which was alreet. :smile:
Reply 10
I wouldn't bother, unless you know the colour of all the buttons on every concole ever built and sold... :mad:
Reply 11
Just that, one of the questions on their 'gaming knowledge' test asked me to name the colour of the Y button the Xbox. I reckoned I passed it though, they also threw an english test at me but it was easy, I think I messed it up when I didn't say how much I loved them as a company. I'm a crap liar. :eek:

God knows what they were looking for, the questions on the test were mostly irrelevant and when I asked them what a typical day would involve I almost laughed: get a sheet full of tasks to do in-game/bugs to track down and do them. That. Is. It. FFS.

But anyway, good luck.
Reply 12
black_mamba
Just that, one of the questions on their 'gaming knowledge' test asked me to name the colour of the Y button the Xbox. I reckoned I passed it though, they also threw an english test at me but it was easy, I think I messed it up when I didn't say how much I loved them as a company. I'm a crap liar. :eek:

God knows what they were looking for, the questions on the test were mostly irrelevant and when I asked them what a typical day would involve I almost laughed: get a sheet full of tasks to do in-game/bugs to track down and do them. That. Is. It. FFS.

But anyway, good luck.

yellow :wink:

you do realize what a game tester does? not just play the game.. for example theve got to go over every inch of the map. check for movement issues and faults. ie you could spend several hours on one corner of a map.
Word of advice, try and get in-house testing work with a developer rather than a publisher. It is almost always a far better atmosphere and they treat you with respect rather than a tool. From what I hear working for a publisher like EA is like being an animal on a farm. I spent a week testing at Lionhead and it was an awesome friendly environment where testers were treated as equals on every project; Peter Molyneux would come say hello a couple times a day. I'm currently waiting to hear from Kuju after a job interview, they also have in-house testers who are considered part of the team and work on the same terms as everyone else. It's definitely the way to go.
Reply 14
Vintage
yellow :wink:

you do realize what a game tester does? not just play the game.. for example theve got to go over every inch of the map. check for movement issues and faults. ie you could spend several hours on one corner of a map.

Of course I know, you think I'd go to an interview without actually knowing what the job entailed? :eek: Basically I was shocked when they explained what a typical day would involve because it sounds, quite frankly, very simple, and any decent intelligent and hard working gamer would kick ass at it, but they were questioning us on stuff which was IMO irrelevant.

cheesecakebobby
Word of advice, try and get in-house testing work with a developer rather than a publisher....I'm currently waiting to hear from Kuju after a job interview, they also have in-house testers who are considered part of the team and work on the same terms as everyone else. It's definitely the way to go.

Well I only wanted a summer job, it wasn't my way into the industry! Hehe. I knew it would be a pain-in-the-ass style job, repetitive as hell and you'd feel like a monkey.

EA are a developer as well as a publisher aren't they? But I think they wanted us to test at a very late stage in the development, basically where we couldn't interact with the programmers directly.

Good luck with Kuju, let me know how it goes. :smile:
cheesecakebobby
Word of advice, try and get in-house testing work with a developer rather than a publisher. It is almost always a far better atmosphere and they treat you with respect rather than a tool. From what I hear working for a publisher like EA is like being an animal on a farm. I spent a week testing at Lionhead and it was an awesome friendly environment where testers were treated as equals on every project; Peter Molyneux would come say hello a couple times a day. I'm currently waiting to hear from Kuju after a job interview, they also have in-house testers who are considered part of the team and work on the same terms as everyone else. It's definitely the way to go.

How do you go about getting these jobs? And how old do you have to be?
ashmufc
How do you go about getting these jobs? And how old do you have to be?
Sometimes they advertise on recruitment websites like OPM and Aardvark Swift, I find www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs often has these listed. Sometimes they advertise on their own websites. Other times they don't advertise at all, I emailed my cv to Kuju and they just happened to need another tester so gave me an interview. As for age, I think they usually expect you to have done A-levels if they are hiring (for work experience at Lionhead I think you only have to be 14).
Reply 17
I got work experience with Ubisoft at 15, so it starts fairly young :smile:
how much do you get?
Reply 19
PoisonJam
How's the job hunting going? The RBS in Farnham are hiring summer staff, I've been told to recommend people so if you need work I'll send you the details!

Which Farnham is this? Who is RBS? Tell me tell me. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending