The Student Room Group

Is anyone saving money before Uni?

Or are they just relying on their loans and grants?
Original post by lokalokaloka

I've had a cleaning job which I've saved up from, plus my family give me a lot of money on Christmas and my Birthday which i saved :smile: I ended up having enough for a holiday and some to start uni with. Going to try and get a job once uni starts though :cool: how about you?
Original post by lokalokaloka

I had two part-time jobs that I saved up about £3000 from, it really helped :smile:
Reply 3
I had savings before I started uni from working all summers, holidays and weekends as from my final GCSE.

Even if you're not able to save a lot, I'd recommend you factor in a few 100 quid for Freshers/ first few months of uni. There'll be things to go to and things to buy, things you'd forgotten take and you might overspend on food too. Most student budget things are pretty accurate after Freshers Week so you can probably calculate now whether you loan and grant will be enough.
Reply 4
I'm going into Year 13 this year, and I've saved £1200 since dec/jan just gone for a trip to Morocco. Now though I'm saving what I get for uni as I'll obviously need to buy stuff among other things. I know my parents will help me out some with living costs like food but not accommodation as the maintenance loan should cover this and give me some extra money per week too, so my parents will just be topping me up.

My tutor has told us don't use your savings unless you absolutely have to! Which i think is good advice, if you budget properly and get a good priced accommodation then you shouldn't be desperate for money. Plus a part-time job at the weekend or something will keep money topped up, which I hope to get (depending on where I study though!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had £2000 saved up from my part time job and also have another £3000 in another account from other things such as accident claims and my paper round when I was younger. I just found a few days ago that my university want my first instalment before I even begin university or before I get my loan so I'm quite relieved that I have something saved up as they're asking for £1700 which includes my deposit for my accommodation.
Reply 6
I have a part time job that I'm saving up from, but I'm planning to keep it as emergency funds and try to survive on a student loan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending