The Student Room Group

Now what? Biosciences PhD advice

Hi there,

I've just graduated with BSc Biology (Hons) from Cardiff University, and got an award for most deserving final year student out of three degree schemes (zooogy, biology and ecology). I've secured funding for an MRes course, again in Cardiff University for the year coming. So all in all I'm hoping this is enough for me to be able to get a phd studentship somewhere decent next year.
What I need advice on is what to do now in terms of applying for PhDs. I'll be on my MRes until next September, so I realise it's ages away, but keen to sort something asap.
I'd happily do my PhD in Cardiff, however my supervisors have advised against it simply because I need experience in other research institutions in order to boost my CV.
So at the moment I'm looking on Findaphd.com, and keeping an eye out for advertised studentships. Has anyone got any tips on what else I could be doing? I'd be open to pretty much any location, as long as the project suited me. I'll be learning how to write grant applications over the next couple of months so could potentially apply for funding rather than advertised studentships.
Any information from people who are in the same boat or have done all of this before would be great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending