The Student Room Group

Is it weird to ask a Hairdresser for advice?

I'm so sick of my hair style, I want something different but I don't know what. If I went into a Hairdressers and asked for their opinion on a style/cut that suits my face/head would they think I'm weird?

If not, what would I exactly say lol?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It's not weird, don't worry.

Just literally tell them the first sentence you just said: "I'm so sick of my hair style, I want something different but I don't know what"

and then maybe ask them "what hairstyles do you think would suit me best"

don't worry and good luck
Reply 2
Nope, it wouldn't be weird - they're the experts. A relative of mine is a hairdresser and she says it annoys her when customers insist on having styles which don't suit their face, or which draw attention to features they actually want camouflaged. She can usually tell what would be better and enjoys it when they ask her and she's working on a style she knows will look good.

However, it's useful if you can give your hairdresser an idea of what you can maintain, when you ask. My relative knows not to do anything for me involving fiddly drying techniques or straighteners, as I have no patience for that sort of thing. If you get up at the last minute in the morning, it's better to have a wash-and-go style rather than one which takes an hour of work. This kind of factor changes the kinds of styles she recommends for me. Also things like hair products - can you afford a constant supply of mousse or gel to keep something spiky? Colouring needs regular maintenance and the costs can add up over time.

By all means, ask. You could end up with a style which you hadn't considered, which is really flattering. And if it goes wrong - so what? Your hair will grow out in a matter of weeks. And at least next time you'll have an idea of what you *don't* want!
It's not weird at all - they know what they're talking about. It would be rather worrying if they didn't. When I had my hair styled for prom and when I also had it ombred, I told my hairdresser just to do what would best suit me, and I've always been happy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending