The Student Room Group

URGENT please! Chem questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BJack
Shouldn't the eigenvector be a column vector? Otherwise, this looks fine.

Yes indeed, but I can't type it as column here ))
Reply 21
Original post by Studentik
Right...But in the other cases like angle BAC, do I still need to find BA and CA?

Yes, you want BA and CA (or AB and AC). What you had was BA and AC.
Reply 22
Original post by BJack

Oh ok. Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by BJack

Sorry for bothering you again, but maybe you also know how to solve this type of question:
A system consisting of eight molecules possesses four quanta of energy. How many different configurations may the system occupy?
I was thinking that it's basically multiplication of molecule by quanta that must equal to the total number of quanta (4 in this case). Please correct me if I'm wrong
Reply 24
Sorry for bothering you again, but maybe you also know how to solve this type of question:
A system consisting of eight molecules possesses four quanta of energy. How many different configurations may the system occupy?
I was thinking that it's basically multiplication of molecule by quanta that must equal to the total number of quanta (4 in this case). Please correct me if I'm wrong

I think the easiest approach is to simply list all the possibilities. The alternative is some not-very-pleasant maths, as far as I can tell you're asking about partitions, which are not something I know anything about. Maybe somebody in the maths forum can give you a better answer.
Reply 25
Yes it's just simply a case of listing the possibilities, I think you had it in the other thread but if you need further explanation I'll try to help!
Reply 26
Original post by Bradshaw
Yes it's just simply a case of listing the possibilities, I think you had it in the other thread but if you need further explanation I'll try to help!

Original post by BJack
I think the easiest approach is to simply list all the possibilities. The alternative is some not-very-pleasant maths, as far as I can tell you're asking about partitions, which are not something I know anything about. Maybe somebody in the maths forum can give you a better answer.

May I ask you one last question, I promise? :P
The molar heat capacity of CH2Cl2 over the range 230 K to 310 K is given by Cp,m/J K-1mol-1= 91.5 + 0.0751(T/K)
Given that the change in the molar entropy on heating is ΔS= Cp,m / T dT
calculate the change in the entropy when 0.200 mol of CH2Cl2 is heated from 5°C to 30°C.

I have the answer to it ( 1.951J K-1 mol-1) but can't get it right for some reason. My working:
ΔS= Cp,m 1/T dT = Cp,m * ln(303K/278K) ...Any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 27
May I ask you one last question, I promise? :P
The molar heat capacity of CH2Cl2 over the range 230 K to 310 K is given by Cp,m/J K-1mol-1= 91.5 + 0.0751(T/K)
Given that the change in the molar entropy on heating is ΔS= Cp,m / T dT
calculate the change in the entropy when 0.200 mol of CH2Cl2 is heated from 5°C to 30°C.

I have the answer to it ( 1.951J K-1 mol-1) but can't get it right for some reason. My working:
ΔS= Cp,m 1/T dT = Cp,m * ln(303K/278K) ...Any help is appreciated :smile:

Your Cp,m has a temperature dependence. This means you need to integrate Cp too. Write it out in full, remembering to multiply by your 1/T term before integrating.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by BJack
Your Cp,m has a temperature dependence. This means you need to integrate Cp too. Write it out in full, remembering to multiply by your 1/T term before integrating.[/

Yep, got it right now! Cheers
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest