The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Dr. Django
I loved Newcastle, so pleased I'm applying :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ah that's good then, there will be no stressing out over why mine hasn't come yet!! Do they reveal the cut off before interviews?? I know mine will be above the cut off but I'm just curious :biggrin: thanks :smile:

Nope, they won't disclose it until the end of the cycle. :smile:

Original post by g.k.galloway
What format do interviews take?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Just a normal panel interview, with two interviewers, asking pretty standard questions. It's all outlined in the admissions policy document on their website!
Reply 61
suncake

Just a normal panel interview, with two interviewers, asking pretty standard questions. It's all outlined in the admissions policy document on their website!

Thank you, I'll check it out :smile:

Original post by suncake
Nope, they won't disclose it until the end of the cycle. :smile:

Jeez! Now I think about it that's probably why last year I saw people trying to guess it from the stalking page :tongue:

I'm guessing it will be 715 ish
Reply 63
Jeez! Now I think about it that's probably why last year I saw people trying to guess it from the stalking page :tongue:

I'm guessing it will be 715 ish

Hopefully my 732.5 will be safe!

Just to clarify is ukcat all they use to allocate interviews? So if your above the cut off that's it? (I know they look at gcses if you didn't to biology) :smile:

Hopefully my 732.5 will be safe!

Just to clarify is ukcat all they use to allocate interviews? So if your above the cut off that's it? (I know they look at gcses if you didn't to biology) :smile:

It surely will be!! Over 720 and I'd be absolutely amazed; that would rule out the vast majority of people!!! I think so, as long as you meet all the minimum requirements!
Reply 65
It surely will be!! Over 720 and I'd be absolutely amazed; that would rule out the vast majority of people!!! I think so, as long as you meet all the minimum requirements!

Woo! Wait...they don't require all As at AS do they? I swear that B will haut me forever....so close to an A :frown:

Reply 66
Woo! Wait...they don't require all As at AS do they? I swear that B will haut me forever....so close to an A :frown:

No, I had AAAB at AS (B in chemistry) and I got in, so you should be fine :smile:

I don't think anywhere does really! (apart from Birmingham/Oxbridge) so you're all sorted :smile: I doubt it will have much (if any) affect on your application so don't worry :biggrin: I was a pansy and only had 3 AS :wink: Although...now I have 3 A2 and a whole pre-u so I'm kind of regretting my decision :tongue:
Reply 68
I don't think anywhere does really! (apart from Birmingham/Oxbridge) so you're all sorted :smile: I doubt it will have much (if any) affect on your application so don't worry :biggrin: I was a pansy and only had 3 AS :wink: Although...now I have 3 A2 and a whole pre-u so I'm kind of regretting my decision :tongue:

Phew :smile: I keep having moments of pure terror!!! :smile:

Reply 69
Hi I'm definitely applying to Newcastle. do they use your interview score, UKCAT and predicted grades to offer places then or do they not look at UKCAT/predicted grades again after the interview? I'm curious :smile:
Original post by staceyem
Hi I'm definitely applying to Newcastle. do they use your interview score, UKCAT and predicted grades to offer places then or do they not look at UKCAT/predicted grades again after the interview? I'm curious :smile:

Only interview counts but the interview is very much based on your personal statement.
Reply 71
Sorry, just to be clear. At interview is it cetribus paribus..ie they stop looking at your ukcat/predictions once you've got an interview..
Original post by staceyem

Predicted grades are the initial screening, then UKCAT to offer interviews, then the interview performance alone to offer places

Once you get an interview, only your interview performance matters, your grades and UKCAT will not be considered further

Because of this, Newcastle is a good choice for someone with a high UKCAT score but modest academics. As long as you meet the minimum academic threshold (which is 3 A predictions including Bio/Chem or if you only have one of Bio/Chem to A Level, a GCSE grade A or A* in that subject), only your UKCAT and then interview performance matters. My AS grades were AABCC and my GCSE's were good but not stand out or exceptional, especially in comparison to many med applicants. You could get an offer with only B's and C's at AS - as long as you are predicted 3 A's and you can realistically achieve 3 A's in the final exams :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Hey guys, I'm an international applicant and I'm very keen on applying to Newcastle. However, my gcse equivalent grades were not stellar so I'm hoping that my ukcat of avg 787.5 can help out. I think that Newcastle's admissions process is in my favour, which is why I'm also considering applying to Durham which uses the same method. Do you think it's worth putting them as separate options? Btw I have aaab for AS ( chemistry, biology, maths, rs) so I should be getting 3As predictions for A2
Reply 74
Original post by ltigers
Sorry, just to be clear. At interview is it cetribus paribus..ie they stop looking at your ukcat/predictions once you've got an interview..

Yeah, assuming you meet the academic requirements you're ranked by UKCAT score and the top x hundred are interviewed. They then score your interview and you're ranked again, and the top y hundred then get offers.
Reply 75
Original post by chowkat
Hey guys, I'm an international applicant and I'm very keen on applying to Newcastle. However, my gcse equivalent grades were not stellar so I'm hoping that my ukcat of avg 787.5 can help out. I think that Newcastle's admissions process is in my favour, which is why I'm also considering applying to Durham which uses the same method. Do you think it's worth putting them as separate options? Btw I have aaab for AS ( chemistry, biology, maths, rs) so I should be getting 3As predictions for A2

Hi, I'm not massively sure how different (if at all) the international admissions process is, but if you were a home student they wouldn't look at your GCSE grades at all, as you've got Biology and Chemistry at AS level.

Applying to both is a gamble as they both use the same UKCAT cutoff, but given that yours is about 90 points above last year's cutoff, I think you'll be safe. To see it rise that high would be pretty unprecedented, so while I can't say that you're guaranteed two interviews if you apply to both, I think you're in with a pretty decent chance :smile:
Original post by Hippokrates
Only interview counts but the interview is very much based on your personal statement.

Will the interviewers have seen a copy of the personal statement?
Original post by Temmystical
Will the interviewers have seen a copy of the personal statement?

Yes they'll have it in front of them. They read it right before your interview.
Hi everyone, I really want to apply to Newcastle but dunno if it's too risky with my UKCAT, got an average of 677.5 :/ any opinions?
Reply 79
Original post by PointyElbow
Hi everyone, I really want to apply to Newcastle but dunno if it's too risky with my UKCAT, got an average of 677.5 :/ any opinions?

You're below last year's cut-off of 695 and it's likely to increase this year so, if I'm honest, I think it would be a wasted application :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending