The Student Room Group

Manchester A106 Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NikoB
Not sure if 682.5 (which is exactly 20 points above last year cut off) will do it.
It's risky :s-smilie: in one year, manchester raised their ukcat cut off by 15 points!

I think the cut off will be <675 - I could be wrong though. Do you have any contextual flags?

Can I ask where else you are applying?
Original post by tamil4
haha yeah to pass the screening would be so good!! I'm over the limit at the moment and trying to cut it down but I dont want to take out anything that sounds good :/

Any idea how difficult it is to get past the personal statement screening?

Do most of the candidates get rejected at that stage or the ukcat?
Original post by letsbehonest
I think the cut off will be <675 - I could be wrong though. Do you have any contextual flags?

Can I ask where else you are applying?

I only have 1 contextual flag so im in the same category as the 0 contextual flags :unimpressed:

I'm thinking of UEA, but that's it....I don't know where else yet.
Was gonna choose Exeter but I think they look at sub test sections :/

Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Original post by NikoB
I only have 1 contextual flag so im in the same category as the 0 contextual flags :unimpressed:

I'm thinking of UEA, but that's it....I don't know where else yet.
Was gonna choose Exeter but I think they look at sub test sections :/

Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Same! I love the look of Exeter but I can't apply there.

UEA, Brighton and Aberdeen :biggrin:
Any idea how difficult it is to get past the personal statement screening?

Do most of the candidates get rejected at that stage or the ukcat?

I have no idea! Apparently in 2012, there were 2520 applications and 925 interviewed (according to the Competition Ratios page) so quite a few people seem to have been rejected before interview that year. But I can't say that properly because I'm not sure how many met the minimum requirements etc.
Same! I love the look of Exeter but I can't apply there.

UEA, Brighton and Aberdeen :biggrin:

Why not apply to Exeter?

I'm thinking of Aberdeen but I'm all the way from London and I think Scottish unis don't take as many rest of uk applicants :/
I want to apply here, but I'm not sure. I just hope that my personal statement is good enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NikoB
Why not apply to Exeter?

I'm thinking of Aberdeen but I'm all the way from London and I think Scottish unis don't take as many rest of uk applicants :/

I'm also from London! I'm sure they don't discriminate against us! I think it's just that more Scottish people apply to Scottish unis

Afraid my VR might be too low for them since they look at individual cut offs.
I'm also from London! I'm sure they don't discriminate against us! I think it's just that more Scottish people apply to Scottish unis

Afraid my VR might be too low for them since they look at individual cut offs.

Oh ok then! :biggrin:

http://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/documents/Bachelor_of_Medicine_Bachelor_of_Surgery-FAQ_v3.docx

According to that document which was produced August 2013, they don't consider sub test scores
My VR also sucks at 470!
Original post by NikoB
Oh ok then! :biggrin:

http://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/documents/Bachelor_of_Medicine_Bachelor_of_Surgery-FAQ_v3.docx

According to that document which was produced August 2013, they don't consider sub test scores
My VR also sucks at 470!

WOOOOOOT ARE U SERIOUS !!!!

OH MY GOOD LORD. I have to apply if they don't consider sub tests!!

Edit: It is a little ambiguous :/
Sure they use the overall score, but they have always done that. They do this after the ukcat sub test cut offs. I will email them or call them up tomorrow
(edited 10 years ago)

The document says so! :biggrin: I'm gonna apply too but I will email them to double check!!

Edit: It is a little ambiguous :/
Sure they use the overall score, but they have always done that. They do this after the ukcat sub test cut offs. I will email them or call them up tomorrow

Have you called them up yet? :smile:
Original post by NikoB
Have you called them up yet? :smile:

Yep

She said 'We will be using a ukcat cut off and lower cut offs for the sub tests. The cut offs are reviewed each cycle'

She seemed really peed off on the phone, so I didn't ask further questions.

I guess nothing has changed.
Yep

She said 'We will be using a ukcat cut off and lower cut offs for the sub tests. The cut offs are reviewed each cycle'

She seemed really peed off on the phone, so I didn't ask further questions.

I guess nothing has changed.

pffftt that completely contradicts what they wrote on the document
Original post by babychocolate
I want to apply here, but I'm not sure. I just hope that my personal statement is good enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

same! I'm finding it really hard to get my PS right!
Hi guys, I know it's really annoying but in your opinion us it worth applying for me? I have 4 A*, 2A and a 2B including English Lang which I am resitting this year for an A. I got AAAA in chem, bio, maths and phys with A*AA at A2 and am predicting 690 in the UKCAT. In anyone's honest opinion is it worth applying for Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Does it matter if you are predicted A* at A2 or would Manchester consider it the same as an A grade? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by tamil4
same! I'm finding it really hard to get my PS right!

Manchester like to see commitment and long term volunteering but my longest experience is 6 months!!!

I could write about my part time job where I tutor young kids but I do it privately so if they ask for references who do I put?
Reply 98
Manchester only look at the total UKCAT score so we are in safe hands!

wow! thank God for that! I'm breathing again! :smile:
Where is everyone deciding to be placed : Manchester campus or Preston campus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending