The Student Room Group

Question on University timetables

Hey Guys;

Just a quick question on University timetables, how are they typically structured? As in, is it normally 08:45 - 15:00 like a normal school day or does it vary?
Starting uni in about 4 weeks. =l
It varies on whether or not its a lecture or seminar etc... but usually it's 2-3 hours a lecture then a seminar after and you'll most likely be in about 3 days a week :smile:
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Just a quick question on University timetables, how are they typically structured? As in, is it normally 08:45 - 15:00 like a normal school day or does it vary?

It will vary week to week for some courses, dentistry at Sheffield is like this, or you'll have a timetable where you always have a 9am lecture on a monday, but the lecturer/ what topic you're doing will change - which is more what mine is like. If you're doing say, History, you'll have fewer hours of lectures/ seminars compared to someone doing Biology.

You're unlikely to have lectures before 9am, or after 5pm, but unless you're doing Medicine, you've very, very unlikely to be in lectures etc 9-5 every day.
Reply 3
Hey Guys;

Original post by riddlemethis20
It varies on whether or not its a lecture or seminar etc... but usually it's 2-3 hours a lecture then a seminar after and you'll most likely be in about 3 days a week :smile:

This depends massively on the course you're doing. If you're doing a subject that's quite intensive, then being in 9 to 5, 5 days a week is typical.

Having only three days of four hours each sounds crazy compared to what I've been used to!
Original post by Dan1909
This depends massively on the course you're doing. If you're doing a subject that's quite intensive, then being in 9 to 5, 5 days a week is typical.

Having only three days of four hours each sounds crazy compared to what I've been used to!

I study film, media and cultural studies and was surprised at how little I was actually in uni aha but yeah if a course is more practical then it tends to be more hands on :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by riddlemethis20
I study film, media and cultural studies and was surprised at how little I was actually in uni aha but yeah if a course is more practical then it tends to be more hands on :smile:

Yeah I'd be quite surprised at those hours! More free time though I guess :smile:

Not just for practical courses, but there's a lot of courses with timetables that are pretty full, even if it's all just 9 - 5 lectures.
Only reason I asked was because where I got in through clearing (**** you Edexcel and those maths papers!) my rent turned out more expensive than previously thought and am giving serious consideration into jobs while at uni.

I have looked into this thing the uni does where science students help schools across Bristol (yes, I am moving across the country...) and the pay is good. It says experience with students is key (Luckily I managed a teacher's assistant in my As year) - it fills one of the criteria, only problem is driving,

Luckily, I get free transport. =l
Reply 7
Completely depends on the university and course. Mine range anywhere from 9am to 8pm, and things are rarely bunched together for me. Equally a friend at a different university never has anything after 3am, so it's very variable.
Original post by tory88
Completely depends on the university and course. Mine range anywhere from 9am to 8pm, and things are rarely bunched together for me. Equally a friend at a different university never has anything after 3am, so it's very variable.

8pm, 3am?!
What courses you doing?! :eek:
Reply 9
During first year I usually had about 10-12 contact hours. All of my lectures were between 9AM-6PM, though. 4PM-6PM lectures are the worst... you'll end up dozing off. Especially if it's a huge lecture theater with the heating on full blast.
Original post by Kre
During first year I usually had about 10-12 contact hours. All of my lectures were between 9AM-6PM, though. 4PM-6PM lectures are the worst... you'll end up dozing off. Especially if it's a huge lecture theater with the heating on full blast.

So true... 5pm and 6pm lectures always sent me to sleep - on the other hand I prefer 9am lectures!

For most of my second year I only had 2 hours of lectures a week - which sounds great until you realise that's all they can fit in with all the reading you need to do! :eek:
I do History and I'm only in 10 hours per week, the four to six lectures are ace because you can still go out the night before and have a lie in;
Reply 12
Original post by BrushieDuck
So true... 5pm and 6pm lectures always sent me to sleep - on the other hand I prefer 9am lectures!

For most of my second year I only had 2 hours of lectures a week - which sounds great until you realise that's all they can fit in with all the reading you need to do! :eek:

I don't mind 9AM starts so long as I wasn't out the night before. I've been to way too many lectures with awful hangovers in my first year. :colondollar: Concentration just slips away progressively!

Timetables are out and I only have 4-6 hours of lectures for the Winter term! Only 4 hours of Workshops so I'll be having 10 hours max per week. Unfortunately both lectures are 9AM starts... just my luck. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
8pm, 3am?!
What courses you doing?! :eek:

Sorry, 3pm. But the 8pm was true. I go to Warwick, and there are always a few modules going on until 8. Typically, language modules and a few business school ones too, and of course laboratory work in the final year can stretch on a fair bit.
As mentioned, it depends on the course.

When I was at a brick uni, I was either in for some of the day or I wasn't in at all. Monday was ridiculous - lectures from 9-11 and then nothing until 3pm, and finished at 6.30.

Thankfully, my timetable changed in the second term and I finished at 1.30pm on the Monday.

I used to live with someone who was in for one hour (10-11) on one day. So glad I never had that.
Hey Guys;

uni working hours are usually longer than school ones. at uea its 8am-8pm although most lectures are between 9am-6pm and you'd never be in the whole day.
Reply 16
They will send you one before you attend university normally three days not too sure though I'm in the same exact position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
It really depends on the subject, I do PPE and I only had lectures between 10am and 1pm though that was most days a week and then I would have tutorials or classes ontop of that but they were not at definite times during the day.
Hey Guys;

Well You'll have lectures they usually have a scheduled time for instance you'll have:

one at 9-10 am and then another at 6-7 pm lectures can finish quite late the worst I had was 7-8 pm in ,y first year and that was getting in at 9 am so you can have long days that was with only 1 free for lunch pretty full on yes?.

but most of the time you'll have free periods in between lectures and you can use them for study if you don't want to be a social hermit working all the time i recommend you do use these as study periods or to do assignments not all of them but some at least they really expect 35 hours a week (same as a full time job) including lectures and tutorials.

One big difference is your expected to fond out things yourself and referencing is a big deal and if you don't you run the risk of plagiarism which got you kicked out at my uni if you get found guilty at the hearing.

lectures if they are cancelled there is no cover arranged so you use that period for independent study it's very different but you'll get used to it.

oh and if a lecturer is late by is over 15 minuets you can usually assume the class is not happening that day doesn't mean your others are but if it's the only one you have that day great you have a day off.

Quick Reply

Latest