The Student Room Group

DSA General Allowance Consumables - Too little?

Hi, I've been for my needs assessment and I've just received the report which will be used before being sent to the education board for approval.

In the general allowance, I've been told I'm allowed £150 for Photocopying/Printing Allowance, Ink Cartridges and Paper. The thing is, it is £150 in total, not £150 for every individual element. They've told me this is a total of £5 per week for 30 weeks. Also, with ink coming to a total of about £38, that's virtually 7-8 weeks of allowance gone, before I even consider photocopying costs.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, it's just I've heard of others getting approximately £150 (sometimes more) for each individual amount. Should I mention it to my assessor?
Heard of?
I haven't.
Original post by ekf241
Hi, I've been for my needs assessment and I've just received the report which will be used before being sent to the education board for approval.

In the general allowance, I've been told I'm allowed £150 for Photocopying/Printing Allowance, Ink Cartridges and Paper. The thing is, it is £150 in total, not £150 for every individual element. They've told me this is a total of £5 per week for 30 weeks. Also, with ink coming to a total of about £38, that's virtually 7-8 weeks of allowance gone, before I even consider photocopying costs.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, it's just I've heard of others getting approximately £150 (sometimes more) for each individual amount. Should I mention it to my assessor?

£150 seems about right for consumables. It depends what kind of course you're on and what your disability is, not everyone will get the same.

Mine is £100 for consumables & non-core texts.

Don't forget you get a printing allowance at university each year / semester too. Your general allowance is for times when you cannot get to the library etc due to your disability. It isn't supposed to cover ALL printing for the whole year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
£150 seems about right for consumables. It depends what kind of course you're on and what your disability is, not everyone will get the same.

Don't forget you get a printing allowance at university each year / semester too. Your general allowance is for times when you cannot get to the library etc due to your disability. It isn't supposed to cover ALL printing for the whole year.

Ah I forgot about that last bit - thanks for reminding me. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Knalchemist

I have this non-core texts book allowance too. I don't really understand it though - do you?

I'm thinking they'd need to see my reading list for each class I take to know which books are my 'core texts'. I want to buy books now in advance before I'm back on my course but don't know what I'm supposed to spend this allowance on!
Original post by hollievr
I have this non-core texts book allowance too. I don't really understand it though - do you?

I'm thinking they'd need to see my reading list for each class I take to know which books are my 'core texts'. I want to buy books now in advance before I'm back on my course but don't know what I'm supposed to spend this allowance on!

On your reading list you will have books that are 'core' and 'recommended'. The 'core' ones aren't funded for, however if you buy one that is recommended, or one that isn't even on the list, then you will be able to claim the cost of that book back.

You will need to send them a copy of the reading list though I would imagine.
I had to send a list signed by a tutor that the books were not core books. Any book on a course reading list is excluded.
Reply 7
Original post by ekf241

See if there is a bulk ink kit for your printer, about £60 and will last a year or more depending on the course, next year just buy ink top up. A year of law didn't use up the colour and only one black. Buy books second hand, most core and most non core dont need to be latest edition (that depends a lot on course though) and even latest edition are often one or two years old. Get on ebay asap. Also google for pdfs. Again depending on the course a lot of the texts are freely and legally available. Next tip, get to the library with a list as soon as you have your card, the core books will be gone in no time. (Dont forget you can join senate library too, most people dont seem to bother.

I think someone else pointed out that this isn't supposed to fund your whole consumables, just the extra consumption caused by your disability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by law2phil

I think someone else pointed out that this isn't supposed to fund your whole consumables, just the extra consumption caused by your disability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is correct.

My printer I got for my MSc was great, but cost £50 per ink cartridge. Over the course of the year I must have burnt through about 6 of them, but my general allowance was £250 (post grad).

Still helped immensely and I did only buy around 10 books in total for the year.
Reply 9
Original post by law2phil
See if there is a bulk ink kit for your printer, about £60 and will last a year or more depending on the course, next year just buy ink top up.

Agreed. I have managed to get 3 sets of ink on Amazon for £20 for my printer.
Reply 10
I get £450 per year for that. I think it depends on your disability.
Reply 11
Are there any rules for where you buy from / how much you spend since costs can vary quite a bit?
Original post by tsr1994
Are there any rules for where you buy from / how much you spend since costs can vary quite a bit?

You get a maximum allowance per year. But there's no rul on where you cna buy things from.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
You get a maximum allowance per year. But there's no rul on where you cna buy things from.

Oh cool thanks - I wasn't sure because they said so little about the general allowance and I couldn't find any notes about it or T&Cs

Quick Reply

Latest