The Student Room Group

How to apply for a gap year?

Hi everyone :smile: I'm a senior in high school right now and I'm starting to think about taking a gap year to travel and volunteer before I start university. I'm looking at Anthropology/Sociology courses in Sussex, UCL, Goldsmith's, LSE.

My question is, is it better to apply with a deferred entry, or apply regularly, get accepted and then call them and ask if they will let me defer? I'm asking because I don't think I'll know if I actually want to go through with the gap year by the time admissions roll around.

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
Original post by aline-aa
Hi everyone :smile: I'm a senior in high school right now and I'm starting to think about taking a gap year to travel and volunteer before I start university. I'm looking at Anthropology/Sociology courses in Sussex, UCL, Goldsmith's, LSE.

My question is, is it better to apply with a deferred entry, or apply regularly, get accepted and then call them and ask if they will let me defer? I'm asking because I don't think I'll know if I actually want to go through with the gap year by the time admissions roll around.

Thanks for any help

Seeing as you don't know if you want to defer, I recommend applying for regular entry. You can then ask them by email (it has to be in writing) any time before results day (earlier the better though) to defer. I did this for medicine and all my universities were fine with it. Tell them your plans, so they know you won't be slacking off. For your course, they are verrry likely to allow deferring compared to maths courses and oxbridge.

Before you apply regular entry, email all the universities you are wanting to apply to check that they 1) allow deferring after the application has been sent and 2) won't judge your application any differently for doing so. Any correspondence by email/phone has no bearing on your application so be sure to contact them if you have specific questions. :smile:

Quick Reply