The Student Room Group

I Got a B in GCSE maths, should I take it for AS level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
DO IT !!!!!!!
Reply 41
Do it

I got a B at GCSE (mid B)

I got 290/300 a high A in AS Maths and 265/300 a mid A in AS Further Maths - Just work hard and understand every concept and you'll be fine.
Reply 42
I'd go for it. My mate had a C at GCSE maths but is starting Mathematics at Warwick this autumn.
Reply 43
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I'd go for it. My mate had a C at GCSE maths but is starting Mathematics at Warwick this autumn.

Very impressive! What were his GCSEs overall if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning to apply for Warwick Mathematics for 2014 entry and I got a B in GCSE maths (and c's and b's in other subjects).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jiji11
yeah infact i was thinking, if i do maths to be good at it i might have to study like 2 hours per night , but what about my other subjects so yeah, that key point, thanks.

bull**** , i did no where near 2 hours a night and you've seen my scores. HOWEVER i think i am naturally good at Maths + a really good school , so those are two factors you must consider. if your school is not great + the B at GCSE suggests your natural mathematical flair is not the highest - all it means that more work is required.

who knows , you could hit academic maturity ( like i did ) in Year 12 and you might find it a breeze ( NOT like i did though hahaha - i did a lot of work for it )

my workload increased insanely in the 2 months running upto the exam , so i think you'll find that's when yours will too ( motivation to revise etc )

once again saying the same thing - ignore anyone who tells you it's too much for a GCSE B grade student blah blah blah cos thats complete crap , it's not and it's perfectly well within your capability !
(edited 10 years ago)
You will find anecdotal evidence to suggest that a good A'level grade can be obtained despite a relatively poor GCSE grade, but most schools will only let you do maths A'level with A grade min at GCSE for a reason.

I would say it depends on why you got a B. If there is a cause that won't impact on your AS level then maybe. If a B represents your ability in the subject then no. Something has to change and in a significant way. You need to be sure that what needs to change can and will do so.
Reply 46
Yess you should i got a B at GCSE and got turned down by all grammer schools because of it, but i ended up with a B at AS should of been an A but i messed up C1, i reccomend the edexcel board, the exam solutions is great when you're stuck, and the teaching at my school is very good.
But obviously im probably an exception it could back fire.
Reply 47
Original post by Fas
bull**** , i did no where near 2 hours a night and you've seen my scores. HOWEVER i think i am naturally good at Maths + a really good school , so those are two factors you must consider. if your school is not great + the B at GCSE suggests your natural mathematical flair is not the highest - all it means that more work is required.

who knows , you could hit academic maturity ( like i did ) in Year 12 and you might find it a breeze ( NOT like i did though hahaha - i did a lot of work for it )

my workload increased insanely in the 2 months running upto the exam , so i think you'll find that's when yours will too ( motivation to revise etc )

once again saying the same thing - ignore anyone who tells you it's too much for a GCSE B grade student blah blah blah cos thats complete crap , it's not and it's perfectly well within your capability !

well for my gcse's i must have only done 4 hours or less revision + a few past papers. this was mainly because of no motivation and bad teaching. And i would have done more revision if it wasn't for the other 8 exams that had before the maths one ahha!i must admit it was its very hard to balance the revision and decided which subject was more important to revise.But i believe it will be much easier to study for only 4 subjects even though more hours will be involved ahah:smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Robbie242
Do it

I got a B at GCSE (mid B)

I got 290/300 a high A in AS Maths and 265/300 a mid A in AS Further Maths - Just work hard and understand every concept and you'll be fine.

wow , congrats!! thanks for the advice.
Reply 49
Original post by anonymouspie227
There are going to be people who will put you down and tell you what you can and can't do. Do not give them the opportunity to do so now.
You want to do Maths?
You know that you'll work hard?
You know that you have the potential to do well?
Then who cares what everyone else says? Do A-Level Maths. If it doesn't go to plan at least you tried instead of giving up before the first hurdle.

[video="youtube;G5o4KxEhVmE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5o4KxEhVmE[/video]

Spoiler

hahaahah omg this was a great video! thanks for your advice , so motivational:wink:
Reply 50
I got an A at GCSE maths, but ended up with a B at AS. You should definitely do it. Maths is one of my weakest subjects but I still got a B with lots of exam practice and hard work. C1 and C2 are straight forward but I struggled with Mechanics 1. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Robbie242
Very impressive! What were his GCSEs overall if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning to apply for Warwick Mathematics for 2014 entry and I got a B in GCSE maths (and c's and b's in other subjects).

Bs and Cs mainly and a couple of D-E grades too if I remember right.

Very smart guy but very lazy!
hi
Paramore! :wink: Well maybe I should take it!
If i revised AS maths during the holiday and asked them to test me on some modules and got good marks, would this show dedication and allow them to overlook my GCSE grade??? I got an A but to do further maths you need an A*
I wouldn't recommend it
I'm in the same boat. I'm starting Maths at A Level, when achieving a B at GCSE. I'm nervous, but I've heard a lot of people say that it's mainly practise and hard work (along with motivation), rather than the actual concepts. Flick through some of the books for your school's exam board and go from there. I've been looking at C1 and it's basically GCSE. And the other two modules for AS are taught throughly (so I guess you learn them with your teacher at school). So fingers crossed and good luck.
Hi there my name is Mohamed and I chosen a-level maths but because my teachers dropped me to foundation I cannot higher no matter how many times I asked them. The problem I need it for my career and I don't know what to do any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest