The Student Room Group

Is it possible to change your mannerisms?

(edited 10 years ago)
Of course it is changeable.

A lot of people assume stuff like this is fixed but if you work hard on it consciously, take small baby steps and be persistent it'll happen. Obviously it's a lot more involved than that but I don't want to go into details without knowing the exact problem.

I grew up mostly mute when I was a teenager and later had to learn social skills from scratch. When I finally started talking, I had a light stutter and my voice was so inaudible I was a pain to talk to. I pretty much changed everything about the way I communicate - I had no choice! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bananabread
I've been wondering if it's possible to change small things about yourself, such as the way you talk, the way you walk or sit, or particular hand gestures you might make. Not sure how to explain it, but subconscious ways that people act. How much of this is changeable, and has anyone tried to change the way they act?

Yes, but you need to focus in on it and change it gradually. If its a subconscious thing you need to make it become conscious. Maybe get a friend to tell you every time you do the thing that you want to change, and then you can find out when you do it, and then focus on doing it differently.

Of course a lot of those things are situational - like what region you live in, what seating you usually sit in etc
Reply 3
You can, otherwise why would some children who are completely messy end up being neat freaks? You can either change them yourself, or have someone drill it into you :tongue:

Quick Reply