The Student Room Group

Advantage in taking a Gap Year?

Would gap year students have an advantage when applying since they already have their A-Level Grades? Are they more likely to be considered and be given an offer than someone who has just obtained their AS Grades and A2 predictions have been submitted?

I understand that there are other parts to an application but in a scenario where two students have achieved the same UKCAT/BMAT, same GCSE's and did equally well in their personal statement and interview, would the one with the concrete grades have more of a chance than someone who's going by predictions?
Reply 1
Original post by SteelCookie
Would gap year students have an advantage when applying since they already have their A-Level Grades? Are they more likely to be considered and be given an offer than someone who has just obtained their AS Grades and A2 predictions have been submitted?

I understand that there are other parts to an application but in a scenario where two students have achieved the same UKCAT/BMAT, same GCSE's and did equally well in their personal statement and interview, would the one with the concrete grades have more of a chance than someone who's going by predictions?

in theory, yes. In practise, that isn't probably going to happen as there is probably going to one or more factor (other than gap year) that is going to help decide.

But yes, they will be happier to take someone who has achieved the grades as its a 100% fixed place and they don't have to gamble on another candidate
Reply 2
Original post by SteelCookie

Original post by star10159
in theory, yes. In practise, that isn't probably going to happen as there is probably going to one or more factor (other than gap year) that is going to help decide.

But yes, they will be happier to take someone who has achieved the grades as its a 100% fixed place and they don't have to gamble on another candidate

I'm not 100% sure if it applies for 2014 entry (I haven't checked), but I know that Leeds and Belfast favour applicants who already have AAA. Check their admissions procedures to be sure :smile:.

The life experience and maturity gained on a gap year can also help at interviews/a year to get more experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending