The Student Room Group

Re-sit English GCSE in College

Hello,
I was really devastated (as I'm still) when I got the results for my GCSE English Language, which was a D. And so I'm definitely re-sitting the exam in college (which I will have lessons to prepare for). Overall, my GCSE results are as follows:
A* Mathematics:biggrin:
A (A*) Additional Mathematics:biggrin:
D English Language:frown:
B English Literature:smile:
A Physics:smile:
A Biology:biggrin:
A Chemistry:s-smilie:
A Geography:biggrin:
A Polish:smile:
A Religious Studies:biggrin:
B Art and Design (Fine Art):smile:
B Resistant Materials:smile:
C Spanish:smile:

I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics for A-levels.

My question is: If on my resit I got a A/A* in English Language, and got A*A*A*A* (or at minimum A*AAA) in my A-levels, then would I have a chance of getting an interview at Oxbridge. To add to that, will it appear that I have re-sat English GCSE in College or in High School when the Officers of Oxbridge decide who to interview?

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. The emoticons in the list of the GCSE results are there to inform you how I feel about the grades that I got, and as you can see Chemistry is the subject that I want to study at OxBridge (preferably Cambridge).
Original post by LeoMantys
Hello,
I was really devastated (as I'm still) when I got the results for my GCSE English Language, which was a D. And so I'm definitely re-sitting the exam in college (which I will have lessons to prepare for). Overall, my GCSE results are as follows:
A* Mathematics:biggrin:
A (A*) Additional Mathematics:biggrin:
D English Language:frown:
B English Literature:smile:
A Physics:smile:
A Biology:biggrin:
A Chemistry:s-smilie:
A Geography:biggrin:
A Polish:smile:
A Religious Studies:biggrin:
B Art and Design (Fine Art):smile:
B Resistant Materials:smile:
C Spanish:smile:

I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics for A-levels.

My question is: If on my resit I got a A/A* in English Language, and got A*A*A*A* (or at minimum A*AAA) in my A-levels, then would I have a chance of getting an interview at Oxbridge. To add to that, will it appear that I have re-sat English GCSE in College or in High School when the Officers of Oxbridge decide who to interview?

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. The emoticons in the list of the GCSE results are there to inform you how I feel about the grades that I got, and as you can see Chemistry is the subject that I want to study at OxBridge (preferably Cambridge).

Those GCSE grades aren't that bad, mainly As - don't be too disappointed :smile: The D in English however is an issue since many unis (I think Cambridge included) require a B at GCSE English Language and Maths for all courses. They will be able to tell that you resat the GCSE since you have to enter the dates of you receiving each qualification on your UCAS form - however I doubt they will mind too much, they say somewhere on their website that the odd resit is not an issue for them (although I think they were referring to A levels rather than GCSE...) and I'm sure they understand that everyone has the odd bad day. I personally doubt that many universities pay much attention to GCSE grades, and are much more interested in your AS grades and A2 predictions since these are more recent and are in the subjects you wish to study at uni. I personally would think that with good AS/A2 grades you would have a good chance of getting an interview for Natural Sciences (Cambridge) or Chemistry (Oxford), particularly since your worse GCSE grades were in completely unrelated subjects.
Don't worry too much now about your chances, concentrate on getting excellent AS grades and extra stuff to boost your personal statement and wait until results day next year to judge more accurately how much of a chance you have - if you get AAAA/ AAAB then I would say that it would be worth a shot at Oxbridge (you have 4 other spaces on your UCAS form for other universities so should be almost guaranteed an offer elsewhere anyway).
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Those GCSE grades aren't that bad, mainly As - don't be too disappointed :smile: The D in English however is an issue since many unis (I think Cambridge included) require a B at GCSE English Language and Maths for all courses. They will be able to tell that you resat the GCSE since you have to enter the dates of you receiving each qualification on your UCAS form - however I doubt they will mind too much, they say somewhere on their website that the odd resit is not an issue for them (although I think they were referring to A levels rather than GCSE...) and I'm sure they understand that everyone has the odd bad day. I personally doubt that many universities pay much attention to GCSE grades, and are much more interested in your AS grades and A2 predictions since these are more recent and are in the subjects you wish to study at uni. I personally would think that with good AS/A2 grades you would have a good chance of getting an interview for Natural Sciences (Cambridge) or Chemistry (Oxford), particularly since your worse GCSE grades were in completely unrelated subjects.
Don't worry too much now about your chances, concentrate on getting excellent AS grades and extra stuff to boost your personal statement and wait until results day next year to judge more accurately how much of a chance you have - if you get AAAA/ AAAB then I would say that it would be worth a shot at Oxbridge (you have 4 other spaces on your UCAS form for other universities so should be almost guaranteed an offer elsewhere anyway).

Thank you ever so much for your feedback! I now have courage to take on the challenge of getting 100% UMS in A-levels (lol I know, I have no life xD). But, anyway, you've made my day... well really you've made my YEAR! :biggrin: (if that makes sense xD):biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by LeoMantys
Thank you ever so much for your feedback! I now have courage to take on the challenge of getting 100% UMS in A-levels (lol I know, I have no life xD). But, anyway, you've made my day... well really you've made my YEAR! :biggrin: (if that makes sense xD):biggrin::biggrin:

Haha, thanks :smile:
I'm not saying it will be easy, but it is possible to go from good-ish but not outstanding GCSE grades to top A level grades if you put the work in.
Bear in mind that some universities will take into consideration how good your school was, which could play in your favour if you went to a particularly bad school...
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending