The Student Room Group

UCL hopeful but disappointing GCSE results?

Hi I just got my GCSE results on Thursday and I was so extremely disappointed in them as I was aiming to get around 3A*'s 6A's and 2B's and these were my rough target grades however I ended up getting 6A's and 5B's. I know this is terrible and I was so shocked as I have always dreamt of going to UCL to study medicine and become a paediatrician. I realise most of you will say these grades aren't good enough but I am aiming to get 4 A's at A Level because its possibly my last ever chance of studying medicine. I have already organised 3 different hospital work experiences for next year, I started volunteering at Cancer Research this summer, I currently am Grade 3 Piano and completed something called the Challenge this summer too. I'm planning to take Biology Chemistry History and Psychology for my a levels, are these okay or does UCL not like psychology because its not a 'traditional subject'? Ive been worried sick for the past couple of days and I've become so determined to do everything I can to still study medicine, do you think I still have a chance? What does UCL want from their applicants? Ive already started reading science magazines so I know whats going on in the world of science long before my interview. Please help!:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
woah calm down. Universities focus more on Alevels than GCSEs. If you've got atleast a B in english and maths you're good to go
Reply 2
Original post by Jatz07
What were the As and Bs in?

Which subjects?

Jatz

I got an A in History, Spanish, English Language, English Literature, Graphics, Religious Studies. I got a B in Biology Chemistry Physics Maths and Art
Reply 3
Original post by NildaMuslu
however I ended up getting 6A's and 5B's. I know this is terrible

God, you have no idea of terrible if you think they are bad results. Firstly just because you got those GCSE results doesnt mean this is a last chance scenario for you. At GCSE I got 2 B's 5C's 1D 1E 1G, yet my current grades in A Level are AAD, so you just need to apply yourself in your A levels, and if there are certain subjects at GCSE that you need higher grades in, you can sit the exams for them during Year 12.
Uhm.. I don't understand where the terrible grades are..
I know tons of people with worse GCSE grades that got into top Unis
Not to worry, focus on AS, it's gonna' be a long ride..
Reply 5
Original post by Coxy124
God, you have no idea of terrible if you think they are bad results. Firstly just because you got those GCSE results doesnt mean this is a last chance scenario for you. At GCSE I got 2 B's 5C's 1D 1E 1G, yet my current grades in A Level are AAD, so you just need to apply yourself in your A levels, and if there are certain subjects at GCSE that you need higher grades in, you can sit the exams for them during Year 12.

so I can resit the exams I didn't do well in for GCSE's? because for biology I got really good grades for all my exams except my last one so my result dropped to a B overall
Original post by NildaMuslu
so I can resit the exams I didn't do well in for GCSE's? because for biology I got really good grades for all my exams except my last one so my result dropped to a B overall

Lol dude forget resitting - your results are good. Focus on AS, you've already shown you can take on a good amount of work, but AS level will be a new challenge.
Youve got no chance, I'll make sure of that
Reply 8
Original post by Jatz07
Apply strategically... gcses play a part for Medicine Don't go for uni's like b'ham, and oxford, because firstly birmingham want 8A*s minimum including english, maths, bio, chem and for oxford , gcses play a significant role in interviews!

Make sure you get AAAA at AS-level and A*/As at A2 . Work very hard!!!!!!

Also, if you can cope with the pressure, try re-sitting bio and chem and push them up to an A or A* so you have a better chance of getting into medicine!

What are your a-level options? The very best of luck from me!
I got 5 A*s 4As at GCSE, I might sit some of the bio,chem,physics exams again so I can push them to 8/9A*s

I want to do dentistry though :biggrin:

Jatz

I didn't know you could resit your GCSE exams once you've started A Levels but if that's the case I will resit biology and chemistry because I had high grades up until the last exam which pused my grades down to a B for both. My A level options are Biology Chemistry History and Psychology and my aim is ucl so if I can get in there then theres no problem haha :smile: and good luck!!1
Reply 9
I think psychology would be acceptable, given its links to medicine. I guess child psychology is a major aspect, which would come across well in your paediatrician oriented personal statement. The work exp. etc... also sound rather impressive.
My advice is for you to try and get really good module scores at AS (and declare them!), so an improvement is obvious. Averaging above 90 is a good idea.
Reply 10
Original post by Tuya
I think psychology would be acceptable, given its links to medicine. I guess child psychology is a major aspect, which would come across well in your paediatrician oriented personal statement. The work exp. etc... also sound rather impressive.
My advice is for you to try and get really good module scores at AS (and declare them!), so an improvement is obvious. Averaging above 90 is a good idea.

thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest