The Student Room Group

monthly turnover - good career?

I am earning about 2k - 2.3k every month. Graduated in 2011. Is this good or average. I want to compare it to the normal graduate market.

The money stated is the take home btw.
Reply 1
So when you say you're "earning 2k - 2.3k every month", you're lying based on your final comment?

Why do your earnings change depending on the month? Commission based?

I suspect you're a hideously hairy troll, judging by the post and your rep.
Reply 2
Na man because the amount of locum work that's done on top of my regular
Job is different each month. Give me a chance bud lol asking for a proper opinion
Reply 3
Original post by member9876
I am earning about 2k - 2.3k every month. Graduated in 2011. Is this good or average. I want to compare it to the normal graduate market.

The money stated is the take home btw.

what degree did u do ? what uni?
Reply 4
im earing £0 right now, so u seem to be doing quite well , and you have only been doing ur job for 2 years , so it is kinda impressive. well done mate :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks mate I just wanted honest opinion on what people earning these days
Reply 6
That's about £35k-42k gross? I think you know that is very decent 2 years after graduation.

... Unless you are in London? In which case I'd call it 'decent'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Well my regular job is 27000k gross and then my locums I hammer out all the time so it's variable tbh. But yeah I take home £1580 ish from my regular job but locums make it up to around 2k to 2.3
Reply 8
Original post by Key123
That's about £35k-42k gross? I think you know that is very decent 2 years after graduation.

... Unless you are in London? In which case I'd call it 'decent'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

40k after two years is 'decent' in London? Sigh...
Reply 9
Original post by M1011
40k after two years is 'decent' in London? Sigh...

Decent as in 'good'. Do you think it is not good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

no he thinks its very good regardless of living in london or not...
Reply 11
Original post by cl_steele
no he thinks its very good regardless of living in london or not...

And it is. But obviously you are 'better off' earning that amount outside London- hence my distinction between 'decent' and 'very decent'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So your base salary is 27k? Depending on where you live the response will differ. If it's London, then it's not great. Likewise if you were in Aberdeen working in oil, that's not a bad starting wage but quite low after two years.

So really depends where you are as it will effect your disposable income. But, on the whole of the UK and the way the job market is, most graduates would hope to be breaking 25k after two years of employment so I certainly wouldn't say you're doing badly nor are you leading the pack.

But, it's daft to compare yourself to the average graduate as many positions pay lower when you start as a junior though start to accelerate quickly after a few years. Some will start on a high wage (~35k) but progress at a lower rate and/or are expected to make up their wage in other means. (Extra hours, locum, commission etc)
Reply 13
Original post by Key123

As CL mentioned, my point is that describing 40k in London two years after graduation as 'decent' is massively overestimating how much people earn in London. It's remarkable how people (not necessarily you) think that by being located in London it's easy to find a very well paying job; this isn't the case. Please don't base your salary assumptions entirely on the likes of banking!

Original post by Key123
And it is. But obviously you are 'better off' earning that amount outside London- hence my distinction between 'decent' and 'very decent'.

'Good' and 'excellent' would have been a better description, not many people are earning 40k two years after graduation anywhere. You're pretty much talking about BB front office IB and MC law firms!
Reply 14
Original post by M1011
As CL mentioned, my point is that describing 40k in London two years after graduation as 'decent' is massively overestimating how much people earn in London. It's remarkable how people (not necessarily you) think that by being located in London it's easy to find a very well paying job; this isn't the case. Please don't base your salary assumptions entirely on the likes of banking!

'Good' and 'excellent' would have been a better description, not many people are earning 40k two years after graduation anywhere. You're pretty much talking about BB front office IB and MC law firms!

Fair points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M1011

When I referenced London I meant the living costs, obviously there are people not on high wages.

If you're earning £27k and living in an expensive city, this isn't particularly high especially considering you've been there for two years. Rent or housing costs are typically significantly higher and commuting costs into these cities are also higher.
If you're living in a smaller town and earning this, then you're probably one of the higher earners.

When I graduated the numbers I saw were: average graduate salary from blue chip companies (many based in London) - 25k, across the UK this dropped to 17.5.

Which is why I generally think it's pointless comparing yourself to the average.
Reply 16
Original post by beerbaitedballs
When I referenced London I meant the living costs, obviously there are people not on high wages.

If you're earning £27k and living in an expensive city, this isn't particularly high especially considering you've been there for two years. Rent or housing costs are typically significantly higher and commuting costs into these cities are also higher.
If you're living in a smaller town and earning this, then you're probably one of the higher earners.

When I graduated the numbers I saw were: average graduate salary from blue chip companies (many based in London) - 25k, across the UK this dropped to 17.5.

Which is why I generally think it's pointless comparing yourself to the average.

40k was the figure in question, not 27k :redface:

Blue chips in London? Such as? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending