The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Freshers for Muslims (and other people who don't drink etc)

Hello all :smile: so are there any Muslims going to Soton Uni this academic year?? (Or anyone who knows about where all the mosques/halal places are) And if so what do you plan to do for freshers. I know everyone else Will be going out and stuff but what is there to do if you aren't into that kind of thing?

I know this post is aimed at a pretty niche audience but I just want to know what there is to do ^_^
Reply 1
Original post by oqbegum
Hello all :smile: so are there any Muslims going to Soton Uni this academic year?? (Or anyone who knows about where all the mosques/halal places are) And if so what do you plan to do for freshers. I know everyone else Will be going out and stuff but what is there to do if you aren't into that kind of thing?

I know this post is aimed at a pretty niche audience but I just want to know what there is to do ^_^

Salam :smile:

The Islamic society (ISOC) FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175433056769/

They're planning to release a handbook with all the info you're looking for :smile:

There's a Muslim prayer room on campus, and the Friday prayers are accommodated every week at various places (check ISOC to see where it'll be each week). There are several mosques closer downtown too.

Takeaways around Burgess Road (5 mins walk from Uni) and Portswood (15 mins walk) have lots of halal kebab/pizza/Indian places to eat. Some chicken dishes in the students' union are also halal, but do check each time.

I didn't go to *any* of the Freshers Week events exactly because of the drinking thing, but I fortunately had about 30-odd Malaysian friends I could hang out with. If you're in Soton without knowing anybody, then you might want to come along to a freshers event to make friends.

The most important thing to go to is Bunfight on the Wed where you sign up for lots of clubs and socs, including ISOC :smile:

And get there early or else u'll queue for ages.. :P

Which events did you like the look of? I can tell u if it's gonna involve drinking and/or clubbing or not..
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Salaam!
Well that's the thing, I pretty much had no intention of going to any because I thought that all p it was going to be drinking and such. It didn't occur to me that there would be non drinking events! Thanks for the links-I shall check them out ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending