The Student Room Group

Interviews and social anxiety

I have social anxiety and I am very afraid of what would happen if I have to get an interview. I'm thinking that they'll ask me hard questions and I'll be so nervous/anxious I would give horrible responses. I'm an international student and this is what is deterring me from applying to Cambridge. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Please don't say just try to relax... it's not that simple, if I could... I would.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Do breathing exercises before entering the interview room:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
I have social anxiety and I am very afraid of what would happen if I have to get an interview. I'm thinking that they'll ask me hard questions and I'll be so nervous/anxious I would give horrible responses. I'm an international student and this is what is deterring me from applying to Cambridge. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Please don't say just try to relax... it's not that simple, if I could... I would.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a similar problem to you. My sixth-form held a series of mock interviews for us in preparation for Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Medics and I always got so nervous.

What helped me was that by the time I was going to have my interviews, I had revised and prepared for questions the interviewers could throw at me. In a sense, having done that extra preparation and knowing that you can't have done any more helped a lot.

The interviewers also talk you through the problem, so it's not like an exam - if that's how you were imagining it to be. So, they'll always point you on the right track and leave it down to you from there on.

You can also count on the ever-reliable shot of adrenaline you get the moment before entering the interview and that's something no mock interview will ever let you experience.
Reply 3
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
I had a similar problem to you. My sixth-form held a series of mock interviews for us in preparation for Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Medics and I always got so nervous.

What helped me was that by the time I was going to have my interviews, I had revised and prepared for questions the interviewers could throw at me. In a sense, having done that extra preparation and knowing that you can't have done any more helped a lot.

The interviewers also talk you through the problem, so it's not like an exam - if that's how you were imagining it to be. So, they'll always point you on the right track and leave it down to you from there on.

You can also count on the ever-reliable shot of adrenaline you get the moment before entering the interview and that's something no mock interview will ever let you experience.

Oh, I was thinking it would be exam like. Thanks for telling me it wouldn't be so rigorous. Here in my country, we get no interview preparation so it will be my first time and I have no idea what they will ask me - a mechanical engineering applicant. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I was thinking it would be exam like. Thanks for telling me it wouldn't be so rigorous. Here in my country, we get no interview preparation so it will be my first time and I have no idea what they will ask me - a mechanical engineering applicant. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would hazard a guess that they would ask you about some sort of engine and probably test your mathematical ability.

The key thing is to, no matter how hard it may be, look your interviewer in the eye whenever you're listening or talking :smile:
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of job interviews, i've never been asked what my main skills are. i've had around 6/7. Most of the time they asked me what i was doing now, why i want to join them, that's it.

Then they spoke about the company for the rest then asked me how it sounded lol.
Reply 6
I would hazard a guess that they would ask you about some sort of engine and probably test your mathematical ability.

The key thing is to, no matter how hard it may be, look your interviewer in the eye whenever you're listening or talking :smile:

Thanks for the advice :yep:. Are you currently studying engineering at university?
Thanks for the advice :yep:. Are you currently studying engineering at university?

I'm only starting in October, which is a good thing because my interview advice is still very fresh :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm only starting in October, which is a good thing because my interview advice is still very fresh :biggrin:

Oh, that's great. Congratulations. Which engineering are you starting? At Cambridge, which college?
can't believe OP turned into a demon
Reply 10
Original post by shawn_o1

OP was probably playing nice so he'd get nice responses. All his threads asking for help has a similar tone. You'd definitely be manipulated by a narcissist easily. Lol.
Original post by tisieira
OP was probably playing nice so he'd get nice responses. All his threads asking for help has a similar tone. You'd definitely be manipulated by a narcissist easily. Lol.

Tell me who bloody doesn't? !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonder what happened to you over the years.

lol exactly bredda. you bumped the **** outta this though...
Reply 13
Original post by Man.bear.pig
Wonder what happened to you over the years.

lol exactly bredda. you bumped the **** outta this though...

I'll say to you what I just said to him. OP was probably never nice. Just feigning niceties to get the advice he wanted. They are very charming.
I'll say to you what I just said to him. OP was probably never nice. Just feigning niceties to get the advice he wanted. They are very charming.

do you know Arieisit?
Reply 15
Original post by Man.bear.pig
do you know Arieisit?

From reading his posts.

👶🍼 shh
Reply 17
Original post by Little Popcorns
👶🍼 shh

Really, what is your problem?

No doubt he's a narcissist. A cynical anti-social narcissist at that.

Tell me who bloody doesn't? !

oh calm down.
Really, what is your problem?

you's thread jackin, hard now...

Quick Reply

Latest