The Student Room Group

royal navy holidays (boyfriend)

My boyfriend is leaving for basic in three weeks. He's going to be a weapons engineer.

I'm aware that he'll be home for christmas for 4 weeks but I'm just wondering if when he finishes his training in november, will he be home for any length of time or will they send him straight off to naval college?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
4 weeks for Christmas? I wouldn't count on that if he's going to be on a course.
Reply 2
Original post by Threaders
4 weeks for Christmas? I wouldn't count on that if he's going to be on a course.

why? hes already been told that. he gets Christmas and summer leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Likely to get 1 week (outside chance of 2) in between phase 1 and phase 2, but it's never guaranteed.

4 weeks for Christmas does sound a bit much, 2-3 is more the norm with other Forces, but if he's been given the dates then so be it.
Reply 4
Original post by Klutzz
why? hes already been told that. he gets Christmas and summer leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was told no two days are the same in the Army, and it's all a big adventure.

They lied :biggrin:
Reply 5
I was told no two days are the same in the Army, and it's all a big adventure.

They lied :biggrin:

what do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Klutzz
what do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One lesson to learn quickly about the military is that nothing is guaranteed. This is why there is a thing such as travel insurance :wink:
Reply 7
One lesson to learn quickly about the military is that nothing is guaranteed. This is why there is a thing such as travel insurance :wink:

Perhaps so.

But the Christmas break during phase 1 training is all-but certain. In the event of nuclear war breaking out you might have a point, but then I think OP might have bigger issues than their bf not being home... Phase 1 training, in every force, essentially shuts down over Christmas. That holiday will not be missed.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Perhaps so.

But the Christmas break during phase 1 training is all-but certain. In the event of nuclear war breaking out you might have a point, but then I think OP might have bigger issues than their bf not being home... Phase 1 training, in every force, essentially shuts down over Christmas. That holiday will not be missed.

do you know how long the Christmas holiday is?
Reply 9
Original post by Klutzz
do you know how long the Christmas holiday is?

You said you did?

For me it was 3 weeks. I'd be surprised if it was more or less than that, but if his basic training goes over Christmas then he'll definitely get a break.

You could, you know, ask him?
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
You said you did?

For me it was 3 weeks. I'd be surprised if it was more or less than that, but if his basic training goes over Christmas then he'll definitely get a break.

You could, you know, ask him?

Yes but everyone on this has been saying that 4 weeks seems like too long etc. I have asked, him, he's pretty sure it's 4 weeks and he doesn't know how long he'll get to come home for between that. He finishes basic at the end of November so I don't know if he'll even get to come home. I'm just trying to get an opinion from people who have more experience with this.
Reply 11
Original post by Klutzz
Yes but everyone on this has been saying that 4 weeks seems like too long etc. I have asked, him, he's pretty sure it's 4 weeks and he doesn't know how long he'll get to come home for between that. He finishes basic at the end of November so I don't know if he'll even get to come home. I'm just trying to get an opinion from people who have more experience with this.

Opinion is useless. Facts are what you need.

If he's been told 4 weeks, then he'll get 4 weeks. After that, nothing's certain. That's the reality of life in the Forces.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Opinion is useless. Facts are what you need.

If he's been told 4 weeks, then he'll get 4 weeks. After that, nothing's certain. That's the reality of life in the Forces.

I don't know if it's fact or something that he's been told from other sailors. I'm aware of that, I've researched the career thoroughly, there's just not a lot of information about leave etc.
Reply 13
If he's in phase 2 over Christmas then I doubt he will get 4 weeks. You're not even guaranteed to get 4 weeks after a tour.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
If he's in phase 2 over Christmas then I doubt he will get 4 weeks. You're not even guaranteed to get 4 weeks after a tour.

Okay, thanks. Yes I know.
To give you an idea albeit RAF not RN.

It's looking like my Christmas leave will be 20th December to 6th of January. That's 2.5 weeks off. This is what your boyfriend will most likely be given as Christmas Leave, however depending on his next course dates he could end up with a little bit more. 4 weeks is quite unlikely unless he wants to use his own leave.
Reply 16
Original post by ChrisLincoln
To give you an idea albeit RAF not RN.

It's looking like my Christmas leave will be 20th December to 6th of January. That's 2.5 weeks off. This is what your boyfriend will most likely be given as Christmas Leave, however depending on his next course dates he could end up with a little bit more. 4 weeks is quite unlikely unless he wants to use his own leave.

thanks very much, this is helpful. i'd be happy with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is how leave worked during my RN Phase 1 and 2 training approximately 5 years ago. Things may have changed a little, but I doubt they've changed much:

Phase 1 - HMS Raleigh (10 weeks): Your boyfriend won't get any leave during this unless one of the main leave periods falls during the course (Christmas, Easter or summer). He will get the weekend off between passing out of Raleigh and starting Phase 2 training (HMS Collingwood for Weapon Engineers).

Phase 2 - HMS Collingwood: 4 weeks sounds very unlikely for Christmas leave. Chris Lincoln's post above sounds like a more reasonable expectation. Your boyfriend will also be able to go home any weekend he is not duty - when I was at Collingwood you were likely to be duty on either the Friday night or Saturday and Sunday for one third of all weekends.

Best of luck.
Reply 18
I'm in The RN and leave is 20th Dec to 6th jan as states above.
If he's under training still he will be given the block leave and no more. Training is training for a reason.
Reply 19
It's no guarantee he'll get much time off after phase 1 training. He will PROBABLY just get the weekend, unless he keeps getting back-classed until summer holidays. During phase 1 training, he should have to stay behind for the first weekend (unless it's changed) and afterwards he'll be entitled to go every weekend. Unless he is duty weekend and then he'll be expected to work.

I went to HMS Collingwood when I used to be in the navy for training so if any questions, drop a message.

Quick Reply

Latest