The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing

Hello! I applying to do mental health nursing for 2014 at Canterbury Christ Church and Oxford Brookes but do not have any real work experience. I have applied to do some voluntary work at my local hospital but was wondering if anyone has any advice on anything I could do to make my application stronger??! I already have an English and psychology degree and have just finished my access to HE Diploma in Nursing Midwifery and Health Care professions so I think I have got the qualifications to get in but am worried my lack of experience will let me down. Ant advice/ help would be much appreciated - Thanks!!:smile:
There's drop in centres, homeless units, nursing homes are a big one as its great experience, charities dedicated to mental health.
I got into mental health nursing without any clinical experience and frequently help out at my uni's interviews. They are looking for people who are really clear about what you think this thing called "mental health" is and what a nurse does in that context. Think about the values that you want to bring to nursing and what do you think would make a good nurse. You could also look into temporary staffing as a healthcare assistant at your local hospital.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending