The Student Room Group

Laptops for uni?! And does anyone do their assignments using google docs?

I know nothing about laptops, all I want is a cheap laptop that has microsoft word, and I would like it if it was both cheap and not ugly at the same time :wink:

Also, would a chromebook be okay for uni? (even though it doesn't have microsoft word). Would it be possible to just type out my assignments on google docs?
Most assignments will usually be printed out and handed in, so it won't matter what program they are typed on. However, you may have to accept you will sometimes need to use the university computers to download attatchments, or if you are doing group work and everyone else is using microsoft office. It would probably be best to prepare presentations on powerpoint too.

If you are looking for something less expensive, what about looking at netbooks instead of laptops? They also have the advantage of being smaller and easier to carry.
Reply 2
I'd agree with the advice that the guy above has given. Go for a netbook as you would be able to install Office on it, which in my opinion would be more beneficial as you'll have the whole lot.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Most assignments will usually be printed out and handed in, so it won't matter what program they are typed on. However, you may have to accept you will sometimes need to use the university computers to download attatchments, or if you are doing group work and everyone else is using microsoft office. It would probably be best to prepare presentations on powerpoint too.

If you are looking for something less expensive, what about looking at netbooks instead of laptops? They also have the advantage of being smaller and easier to carry.

Original post by Luke070
I'd agree with the advice that the guy above has given. Go for a netbook as you would be able to install Office on it, which in my opinion would be more beneficial as you'll have the whole lot.

thanks for the advice!!! where can I get a cheap netbook under 300?
Reply 4
Don't get a netbook. I know they are fairly cheap but with £100 more you can get a decent laptop with a better Ram and CPU meaning that it won't run so slow as the netbook would. I know you're only wanting to use Microsoft word on there and such but investing in a laptop is probably better in all cases! You can find a decent laptop in the deals place on eBay :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
We hand nearly everything in digitally so try and get Office if you can.
Reply 6
Original post by Ameenk95
Don't get a netbook. I know they are fairly cheap but with £100 more you can get a decent laptop with a better Ram and CPU meaning that it won't run so slow as the netbook would. I know you're only wanting to use Microsoft word on there and such but investing in a laptop is probably better in all cases! You can find a decent laptop in the deals place on eBay :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree a netbook will be too slow to use it is better to get a 13 inch laptop/notebook as it will be faster and have more memory. Furthermore I don't know what degree you'll be doing but It is very likely that you will have specific software such as matlab which is useful for a maths degree. Now it may not be available on chrome book which is why I think it is personally better to go with windows
Reply 7
I went for a Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop when I was choosing them last year - hasn't let me down at all. You really do need a durable laptop that'll last the 3 years so it's worth the investment, and you can always sell it on at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've always had a NetBook and I've not had problems with it running too slowly at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I got a tablet, I'm gonna be using Google Docs to make notes during lectures, then sorting them out on the computer :smile:

I'll probably do the same thing with essays, do them on the tablet on Docs and format them on the computer.
Reply 10
Original post by Ameenk95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree more, had a netbook for eighteen months and I can't stand it - getting a tablet for uni instead. Go pre owned if price is a big deal to you (try CashGenerator or CEX, ebay etc) or I've had a couple friends pay off their laptops over a year interest free with Littlewoods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending