The Student Room Group

Can't be bothered to study, shower, talk to people etc...

Hi, I've had this problem for a long time now. I did not study for my GCSE's, and got 6 C's, however, I did actually want to do well. I can't seem to start doing anything properly, even if they are required things like having a shower and brushing my teeth each day. I've had this problem for the past year and a bit, but it's never been as bad as this over the summer...

Now that I will be studying A Levels, and I actually need to work hard to get good results, I don't know what to do! I can't even get started on revision, and throughout GCSE's I ignored most of my coursework and turned down retaking the ones I attempted out of pure laziness.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop being lazy and procrastinating all the time? I'm sitting here in bed sweaty and dirty watching TV online, as I have done most of the holiday.

Thanks! :angry:
Reply 1
Have you considered going to see your GP? What you're describing sounds a lot like clinical depression.
Reply 2
Yeah... you have depression. Get it sorted ASAP.

I went through the same and while I'm not better completely, I'm a lot better than I was. Get to your GP ASAP.
Nofap?

Psuedoscience, but people swear by it. Might work.
I have a very similar problem.

I don't know if I would call it depression or not - I probably wouldn't consider it depression, since I did legitimately have Generalised Anxiety Disorder for a few months when I was younger, and I know how awful that was, and that what I have at the moment definitely isn't serious enough to be considered Depression (I would obviously meet the DSM critera for depression, but most people probably do tbh).

It is weird though. I can spend hours wasting time online, lie in bed for hours during the day etc, not brush my teeth, not shower etc. It's especially problematic since I'm studying medicine, and it's important to work hard for that degree.

Sorry I can't really be much help, but I do know what it's like. It's hard to know though - am I just being lazy, or is there an underlying reason? I never used to be lazy, so it's annoying when I can't motivate myself, but at the same time, nobody is forcing me to waste hours every day in bed on the computer.
Not revising etc can be just laziness or there could be a bigger underlying problem. I'd refrain from taking diagnosis from people on the Internet but you might want to consider seeing your GP given that you're not showering or brushing your teeth a lot.

However if you do want something that could help you stop procrastinating, you could try the two minute rule. Basically, you say to yourself that you'll only work on something for 2 minutes and see how you feel about working in it afterwards. Usually you'll just keep on working. The same goes for doing dishes etc, if it takes less than a few minutes just get it out of the way there and then.
Reply 6
I can't be bothered to shower either...
Reply 7
I was in exactly the same position as you, lost interest in everything, started to eat less, couldn't sleep for nights or would sleep too much, wasn't bothered to do anything at all but I didn't go to see GP because I did not want to bother them. You should see your GP.
Reply 8
What do you actually say to the GP? I've tried to go in before, but ended up rambling on about something completely different...
Reply 9
could be depression? I don't think it's just lack of motivation or else you wouldn't want to do well in your exams...
Reply 10
I feel ya OP. Though you should brush your teeth, you're gonna cause yourself hell if you don't do that. Unless you like needles and fillings falling out when you eat?

Quick Reply

Latest