The Student Room Group

Declining firm choice, please help ... I'm scared!!

Hi,

I have met the AAA requirements for my Firm choice, at The University of Warwick, however since I applied way back in October I have slightly changed my mind as to the course I wish to study, changing from Law to History. Unfortunately, having checked clearing it seems that Warwick or Oxford have no spaces for History this year, so my only viable option open to me which would allow me to allow me to apply for those courses would be to withdraw from my Law offer and reapply next year (whilst remaining on roll at Sixth Form and complete 2 full extra A Levels which heighten. My interest in. political history and Politics).

The only thing that I'm worried about is how angry the admissions tutor I speak to at Warwick may get with me for declining my offer. As my name suggests, im intent on applying for History at Oxford, however will the person I speak to at Warwick automarptically realise that I'm doing this and subsequently get angry? I really want to include Warrwick as one of my 5 choices next year as I love the university, and It is one of the best in the country, I'm just scared that they may get angry when I withdraw for Law and refuse to consider my History application next year. Please could somebody advise me whether this would be the case? The main reason which I am perusing more A Levels and reapplying is not because I wish to 'snub' Warwick's fantastic offer in persuit of Oxbridge, it's because I soon alised that I'd be so much better suited to an academic degree such as History rather that Law ... I just hope Warwick see it that way!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford-Hopeful
Hi,

I have met the AAA requirements for my Firm choice, at The University of Warwick, however since I applied way back in October I have slightly changed my mind as to the course I wish to study, changing from Law to History. Unfortunately, having checked clearing it seems that Warwick or Oxford have no spaces for History this year, so my only viable option open to me which would allow me to allow me to apply for those courses would be to withdraw from my Law offer and reapply next year (whilst remaining on roll at Sixth Form and complete 2 full extra A Levels which heighten. My interest in. political history and Politics).

The only thing that I'm worried about is how angry the admissions tutor I speak to at Warwick may get with me for declining my offer. As my name suggests, im intent on applying for History at Oxford, however will the person I speak to at Warwick automarptically realise that I'm doing this and subsequently get angry? I really want to include Warrwick as one of my 5 choices next year as I love the university, and It is one of the best in the country, I'm just scared that they may get angry when I withdraw for Law and refuse to consider my History application next year. Please could somebody advise me whether this would be the case? The main reason which I am perusing more A Levels and reapplying is not because I wish to 'snub' Warwick's fantastic offer in persuit of Oxbridge, it's because I soon alised that I'd be so much better suited to an academic degree such as History rather that Law ... I just hope Warwick see it that way!

First off, are you sure AAA is good enough for Oxford? I have no idea, but I would be doubtful. Secondly, call Warwick, see if they'll allow a transfer of course, if they don't, ask them to release you, I'm sure they would, given you'd asked them first for a switch. Good luck.
Reply 2

I agree with the above poster that asking for a transfer first makes sense - but only if you would be willing to accept the transfer

Let's think about worst case scenario
>Warwick release you
>Oxford reject you
>Warwick remember you and reject you

Where else would you apply next year - would you get good enough grades next year to go somewhere else excellent (remember they may well ask above their standard offer because you are doing Y14 rather than a gap year) - where else would you be happy going
Reply 3
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
First off, are you sure AAA is good enough for Oxford? I have no idea, but I would be doubtful. Secondly, call Warwick, see if they'll allow a transfer of course, if they don't, ask them to release you, I'm sure they would, given you'd asked them first for a switch. Good luck.

Thanks for the response! I'll phone Warwick and see what they say when their Undergraduate Admissions office reopens on Tuesday. I do still really want to persie Oxford though, as their entry requirements for History are AAA, so I've already met them with 2 years of sixth form study, ans seeing how I'm predicted A*A in the further 2 A Levels I'm thinking of taking, I could have A*AAAA.
Reply 4
Thanks for the response! I'll phone Warwick and see what they say when their Undergraduate Admissions office reopens on Tuesday. I do still really want to persie Oxford though, as their entry requirements for History are AAA, so I've already met them with 2 years of sixth form study, ans seeing how I'm predicted A*A in the further 2 A Levels I'm thinking of taking, I could have A*AAAA.

I am sure that you are aware that an Oxford offer is dependant on far more than your grades

Misread, so you want to change from Law to History, I suppose if you really want Oxford, you should go for it, there's no point being at any university with regret. But do think about a contingency plan if you go through with this, better men have tried and failed. (just used that for the sake of using it :colonhash: )
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
I agree with the above poster that asking for a transfer first makes sense - but only if you would be willing to accept the transfer

Let's think about worst case scenario
>Warwick release you
>Oxford reject you
>Warwick remember you and reject you

Where else would you apply next year - would you get good enough grades next year to go somewhere else excellent (remember they may well ask above their standard offer because you are doing Y14 rather than a gap year) - where else would you be happy going

Thank You for the response! The five universities which I'd like to apply to next year are: Warwick (AAA), Durham (A*AA), UCL (A*AA), KCL (AAA) and Oxford (AAA)
Reply 7
Thank You for the response! The five universities which I'd like to apply to next year are: Warwick (AAA), Durham (A*AA), UCL (A*AA), KCL (AAA) and Oxford (AAA)

If you would be happy with any of the 5 then why not take the extra year
Reply 8
I am sure that you are aware that an Oxford offer is dependant on far more than your grades

True! I do have a lot of EC activities, many of which relate to History. Also, one of the advantages I see of Y14 is that I'll be able to help out in the Hostory department at school (eg. By tutoring younger History students)
Reply 9
If you would be happy with any of the 5 then why not take the extra year

Thanks for the advice, I really do want to do this extra year, as Im excited about the challenge of two A Levels in one year and hopefully submitting a successful Oxford application (although I'd love to go to any of the 5!). The one thing which I'm worried about is how Warwick would respond to me asking to decline their offer for Law? Would they get angry at me for leaving it so late?
Reply 10
Hi,

Them not having clearing spaces does not necessarily indicate that their history course is full to the brim, so definitely ring up the history admissions tutor.

Other than that, you'll probably be dealing with the law department to get yourself released from your place, whereas the history department will be handling your new application - no space for grudges to be retained, even if the staff were that petty (very unlikely).
Would they get angry at me for leaving it so late?

They may feel angry but I am sure that they will be professional

Be aware that you will be costing them money and that you have (by leaving it this late) probably denied another student this place - that is what they will be considering

None of this is your concern - you just need to focus on what is best for you
They may feel angry but I am sure that they will be professional

Be aware that you will be costing them money and that you have (by leaving it this late) probably denied another student this place - that is what they will be considering

None of this is your concern - you just need to focus on what is best for you

Thanks for telling me, i'll withdraw this years UCAS and get into contact with Warwick on Tuesday (as Monday they won't be open). Do you think I should email them or call them? Im just so scared that they'll shout at me if I phone them and tell me never to apply there again.
Thanks for telling me, i'll withdraw this years UCAS and get into contact with Warwick on Tuesday (as Monday they won't be open). Do you think I should email them or call them? Im just so scared that they'll shout at me if I phone them and tell me never to apply there again.

Call

They will be professional, I am sure - explain that you want to change courses - apologise for the late response

What is the worst that they can do
Call

They will be professional, I am sure - explain that you want to change courses - apologise for the late response

Kill him... they could kill him. :colonhash:
Call

Thanks, I'll pluck up the courage to phone them on Tuesday! I think the worst thing they can so is shout at me and pass my details onto all of the other RG universities who will then blacklist me, that's why I'm scared!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Kill him... they could kill him. :colonhash:

Haha! In all seriousness though, I'd rather be killed by Warwick than have to live with the fact that their admissions tutor shouted at me. :frown:
Thanks, I'll pluck up the courage to phone them on Tuesday! I think the worst thing they can so is shout at me and pass my details onto all of the other RG universities who will then blacklist me, that's why I'm scared!

They really will not care enough
They really will not care enough

D they get a lot of people do this then? If so, I won't feel as scared!
D they get a lot of people do this then? If so, I won't feel as scared!

Not a lot
Not often this late
Not often at the top end universities

But enough for them to not be surprised and to cope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending