The Student Room Group

Going from a small town to a big city!

Good evening folks,
how lovely it is to find you here!

This is going to be me rambling on about life before and during Freshers, so buckle up and enjoy the ride!

A little bit about me: I'm Ebony, I'm 19 and I come from a really small valley where sheep dominate the roads. I'm heading to Manchester Metropolitan University to study Law and I move out of my home on the 21st September to start Freshers week on the 23rd!
I left high school with decent GCSE's and went to a Grammar School sixth form which I hated, so I left and started again at your average college where I studied Economics, Business and Psychology.

So far I've been rushing around like anything, I've bought most of my stuff for moving out now and it's only cost me just under £70 so far (yay for being a bargain hunter!) However, I have gone into my shiny new overdraft by about £90 so far, which isn't cool because I need it for Freshers week!

I only live around 40 miles away from Manchester so a lot of people have asked me why I'm commuting...isn't it self explanatory, I wanna move! Don't fancy living at home with my Nan who doesn't understand the concept of leaving me in peace to study and my sister who is also studying for a degree and therefore crazily stressed!

I can't wait for my freedom, I've always been independent so this move has been a longggg time coming!

Hope I haven't bored you too much with my first post!

See you later alligator!

PS. I use exclamation marks a lot, I am an excitable person :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm listening :smile: Enjoy Freshers!
This seems really good so far :smile: I'm writing my blog for simular reasons and I like your style so far, more soon pls and have fun at freshers!
Reply 3
I seriously can't wait to get all of my stuff out of this tiny box room; slowly all of my uni stuff is taking over and the only reason I don't like this is simply because I like things in some sort of order!

So, today I am off to Blackpool. For a day trip? No. For 6 nights...with my newlywed stepmum and husband along with my 6 year old little brother...why did I agree to go?!

However, I am going to suck it up and embrace Blackpool, I used to love it there as a kid, running along the beach, begging to go on every ride I saw and getting soaked to the bone from log flumes. I'm personally a fan of British holidays more than your average teenager, I guess I just enjoy simplicity.

Alas, this summer I made a vow (if you would) to myself that I would take up opportunities that I might not see for a while because of Uni, and I think spending time with my brother is a very important thing to do because I probably won't see him until Christmas once I move.

So, here goes embracing opportunities!

Will try to keep you posted.

Hasta luego mi amigos :smile:
Reply 4
Hello boys!
As I write this I am sat in a cafe by a swimming pool on a haven campsite in Blackpool!
I managed to get sunburnt on the way here which is just my luck as I am pretty much milk bottle white!

Today is my brother's 7th birthday, it's crazy how fast time goes! 7 years ago he was a baby in arms and I was a 13 y/o stuck in an awful high school with bad anger issues!
And now he is an incredibly smart any who is incredibly gorgeous (girls of the future, I'm sorry if my brother breaks your heart!)

So I think we're going to blackpool zoo later or maybe tomorrow which is awesome because view have MASSIVE TORTOISES! (I'm easily pleased)

So amidst playing with 4 rowdy children and drinking in the bar with two middle aged men I will try to update again soon.

Ciao for now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I haven't been to blackpool zoo yet and this makes me sad.
The adults keep arguing and so plans aren't being made and it's a bit rubbish.

Yesterday we went to the beach for a while, that was nice and stopped the arguing!

Another awesome thing is that all of my drinks are being bought for me and therefore getting drunk is very easy for me!

I really want to go into blackpool centre and buy something inflatable that can become my mascot at uni!

Only 3 weeks and 2 days until I move out!

Later suckers
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
By happening to go on Facebook at the right time, I found out that uni have put our timetables on our portal, EXCITING!

I have looked at it and the week following freshers I'm only in 6 hours over two days! However I then looked at the week after that and wanted to cry! In all fairness, we'll be allocated into groups closer to the time, but at the moment my timetable makes out that I'm supposed to be in 6 places at any one time from 9-5 every day!

Let's hope it changes soon, will update soon on how my first year of law will look on a weekly basis! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Buying stuff/money issues:

Okay so I'm back home now and the first thing I need to think about is the stuff to buy for uni.

I've found the article on here has been a LIFESAVER! Here it is if you wanna check it out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

SO, from discussions with my friends I gathered that people are spending like £300 on their stuff for uni....jees.
However, their parent's have bought everything for them and I am in a completely different boat: due to stupid circumstances, I don't live with my parents nor get anything off them at all, so I am paying for everything for uni myself. Being jobless because there is nothing in my area means that I'll have maxed out my pre-student overdraft of £250 by the end of freshers. Fortunately the overdraft is free, but I can't wait for my loan to come in so I'm, not living in negative numbers!

So, I've actually bought pretty much everything I need for uni, and I've got it all for about £80 altogether, I just need a few bits, I'm aiming to have £150 for freshers week so I will keep you all updated on my crappy saving skills haha!

Can't wait to start packing though, my room looks SO messy :frown: When is it a good time to start packing? I dunno....

19 days to go!
Reply 8
Okay so today I was given a chance to book a slot on moving day, I still don't know my flat number or anything but I'm moving into Cambridge North between 11:30-1 in 18 days! AH!

Being a northerner I feel very happy to be in the north block of my halls :wink:

Okay so yesterday I think I pretty much finished my uni shopping and have started to pack! Primark kindly gave me 4 big cardboard boxes which I have already filled and a friend of mine is going to bring me another 5 this weekend!
I've been trying to clear out my room and get rid of crap for the past 2 months but I still have SO much crap! It's really hard trying to decide what to take with me because as much as I want my uni room to feel like home, I don't want to come back to my house in the holidays and feel like my room isn't mine!

Yesterday I made sure I bought a crap load of paracetamol and plasters because I am SO clumsy and am guaranteed to have a few accidents when I move out! I was tempted to do a university haul video but that would require me unpacking everything and then repacking afterwards, and to be quite honest I can't be arsed, so, sorry!

I have no idea how many people are actually reading this blog, but I'm not too fussed, I consider it a personal journal that I can look back at in the future!

Hope everyone else's preparations for uni or maybe second year of college are going well! :smile:
Original post by ebduff
Okay so today I was given a chance to book a slot on moving day, I still don't know my flat number or anything but I'm moving into Cambridge North between 11:30-1 in 18 days! AH!

Being a northerner I feel very happy to be in the north block of my halls :wink:

Okay so yesterday I think I pretty much finished my uni shopping and have started to pack! Primark kindly gave me 4 big cardboard boxes which I have already filled and a friend of mine is going to bring me another 5 this weekend!
I've been trying to clear out my room and get rid of crap for the past 2 months but I still have SO much crap! It's really hard trying to decide what to take with me because as much as I want my uni room to feel like home, I don't want to come back to my house in the holidays and feel like my room isn't mine!

Yesterday I made sure I bought a crap load of paracetamol and plasters because I am SO clumsy and am guaranteed to have a few accidents when I move out! I was tempted to do a university haul video but that would require me unpacking everything and then repacking afterwards, and to be quite honest I can't be arsed, so, sorry!

I have no idea how many people are actually reading this blog, but I'm not too fussed, I consider it a personal journal that I can look back at in the future!

Hope everyone else's preparations for uni or maybe second year of college are going well! :smile:

I know, when you get your moving in date it finally becomes real! :smile:
I'm sure you have a fair few people reading including myself obvs :smile:
I have no idea where to begin with packing, how much stuff have you got to bring, any pics you can include?
Good luck and write more soon!
Reply 10
Original post by Beth_Armitage
I know, when you get your moving in date it finally becomes real! :smile:
I'm sure you have a fair few people reading including myself obvs :smile:
I have no idea where to begin with packing, how much stuff have you got to bring, any pics you can include?
Good luck and write more soon!

I just want these next 2 weeks to go fast!
I have plenty of stuff, like mentioned before I have 4 boxes full at the moment, and I'm gonna be taking three suitcases of clothes and then filling 5 more boxes with other stuff from my room!
I will attach pics closer to the time with the progress of packing!
thanks for reading by the way! :smile:
Reply 11
17 days to go!
So, things are starting to get a bit hectic in my house!

My nan has informed me that we're getting new broadband, and a guy is going to come and fit the router in my room next Monday which means I have to tidy my room....how do you tidy boxes?!

My sister is also getting married in April and I being maid of honour have to help organise EVERYTHING, I'm also having to pay for bridesmaid dresses and invites which means I have to really budget myself whilst at uni!

Today my pink washing up liquid decided to explode in one of my boxes, soaking my bed sheets, pillowcases and tea towels...fortunately they are pink so haven't been stained, but my nan had a rant about unnecessary washing and standing liquids upright blah blah blah.

I also lost the ability to walk for a second today, I was walking out of my room when my legs gave way and sent me sideways smashing my head off the door frame...ouch.

Being the clumsy person that I am I think I need to make sure that I don't break myself before uni!
Reply 12
14 Days to go! - Packing so far! (pictures)

Hola! We've hit the 2 weeks mark!
Thought I'd add some pictures of what my packing is looking like!

Just had a sort through and from left to right there's a box of kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff, stuff that wouldn't fit in the previous two boxes and then my box of books :smile:

DSCN0319.jpg

This is what my packing looks like at the moment when 'tidied' in my room.
As you can see it is a relatively high pile! Got my big noticeboard at the side too :smile:

DSCN0322.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them!
Original post by ebduff
14 Days to go! - Packing so far! (pictures)

Hola! We've hit the 2 weeks mark!
Thought I'd add some pictures of what my packing is looking like!

Just had a sort through and from left to right there's a box of kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff, stuff that wouldn't fit in the previous two boxes and then my box of books :smile:

DSCN0319.jpg

This is what my packing looks like at the moment when 'tidied' in my room.
As you can see it is a relatively high pile! Got my big noticeboard at the side too :smile:

DSCN0322.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them!

Woo love the pics and packing! Any tips for packing? Mine is currently situated in plastic bags across my floor as yet to get a 'system' together aha
More posts soon! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Beth_Armitage
Woo love the pics and packing! Any tips for packing? Mine is currently situated in plastic bags across my floor as yet to get a 'system' together aha
More posts soon! :smile:

I'm using boxes for bulky stuff if you would and then putting bedding and clothes into separate bin bags eg tops in one, trousers in another, I think that'll be easier to unpack!
Then I'm putting shoes and bags into a suitcase and putting going out clothes in another small suitcase (don't want them getting crumpled!
Reply 15
8 days to go!

We're in single figure numbers now, it's getting real!!
Update on timetable: The law department posted on their Facebook page that our groups for workshop and timetables were up on moodle, so being curious I had a nosey!

My first two weeks (induction) are pretty busy which was expected to be honest, however from the 7th October when normal timetables start, I'm only in 3 days a week! I get Wednesdays and Fridays off (LONG WEEKEND YEAHHHHH!) and then I'm in for four hours on the other days! Even though I start at 10am on those 3 days, I think I've got myself a pretty good timetable!!

So, a friend of mine delivered more boxes and I'm genuinely worried that I'll be taking too much...I thought that wasn't possible as a friend of mine said "If you can take it with you, then take it", however another friend of mine moved into her flat at Salford Uni today and promptly posted a Facebook status saying "I've brought too much, HELP!"

Quite a few of my friends have left now and it is very sad that I'm being left behind, but I think the majority of my friend group are moving on the same weekend as me :smile:
My family members are trying to make me start packing clothes now simply so they can put their crap in my wardrobe and drawers (cheeky!!!)

Not much else to update on though, my life is very chilled consisting of excessive amounts of tea, Grey's Anatomy and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. This is the life :wink:
Reply 16
Ah see, I have an advantage of a family member owning a van and then my family and I travelling in a separate car!
I'm worried about the amount of space my shoes and bags will take up :s-smilie: Ah well, we must pay a price to look good!

Good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly and you have a fabby time!
Original post by ebduff
8 days to go!

We're in single figure numbers now, it's getting real!!
Update on timetable: The law department posted on their Facebook page that our groups for workshop and timetables were up on moodle, so being curious I had a nosey!

My first two weeks (induction) are pretty busy which was expected to be honest, however from the 7th October when normal timetables start, I'm only in 3 days a week! I get Wednesdays and Fridays off (LONG WEEKEND YEAHHHHH!) and then I'm in for four hours on the other days! Even though I start at 10am on those 3 days, I think I've got myself a pretty good timetable!!

So, a friend of mine delivered more boxes and I'm genuinely worried that I'll be taking too much...I thought that wasn't possible as a friend of mine said "If you can take it with you, then take it", however another friend of mine moved into her flat at Salford Uni today and promptly posted a Facebook status saying "I've brought too much, HELP!"

Quite a few of my friends have left now and it is very sad that I'm being left behind, but I think the majority of my friend group are moving on the same weekend as me :smile:
My family members are trying to make me start packing clothes now simply so they can put their crap in my wardrobe and drawers (cheeky!!!)

Not much else to update on though, my life is very chilled consisting of excessive amounts of tea, Grey's Anatomy and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. This is the life :wink:

So excited now and your posts excite me even more aha! Not long to go now, you seem so much more organised than me though haha, need to start packing! I can't believe you have found your timetable already, no fair! My law one isn't out yet but my first induction week (alongside freshers events EVERY night) is soo hectic with several hours everyday and even a timed essay on the friday! It is sad leaving people behind, my last day at work tomorrow :/ Am actually quite sad to leave now which is weird. Can't wait for more posts! MMMM TEA!

Can't believe your leaving soon, our fellow blogger! Good luck girl you seem so nice you'll be fine, keep us updated!
Reply 18
Oh god, I'm enjoying your blog, but it's made me feel so unorganised! I have 12 days left & I am nowhere near packed/ready! Better get a move on :tongue:

Hope the move and everything goes well, keep us updated :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
6 Days to go!

Had to say goodbye to some of the nearest and dearest last night and it was awful! I'm not going to see them until at least November and that seems so far away!

I have tried start tidying up my room and I've put lot of the things I'm leaving behind in boxes to be stored away in the house so they don't gather dust and take up space.
Also in preparation I thought 'I know what, I'll clean my laptop! So I took my keyboard off and pulled all the keys off and cleaned underneath (and did a fab job if I say so myself!) however, I broke a couple of the key attachments! (Cue a wonky 7 and F11 button).

AH WELL, I am quite a busy bee this week which is annoying because the closer to moving day I get, the more stressed I get and the less sleep I get...not a cool cycle to be on. Alas, at least I already have the sleeping pattern of a student! :thumbsup:

Not much else to say really, but I hope everyone else can get organised and have a good last week at home!

Quick Reply

Latest