The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kkohli17
Really? I always thought it was like a work atmosphere kind of thing? Nice to know it's a good choice, don't think I'll get in though hahaha, no one from my school has got in for like 5 years now, and there's been quite some characters.

It's always worth a shot :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by loua96
If you include Citizenship (which unis don't really give a monkeys about, but hey :rolleyes:) I got 5 As.. predicted an B for Chemistry next year, but we'll see :biggrin: Haha, mine sounds really pretentious.. I'm trying to tone it down a bit but currently I sound like a right nitwit :lol:

Student room always manages to make me feel bad about my grades :wink: Well done :P Everything I write always sounds cheesy :P Wow I managed to destroy that quote..
Original post by Pyjamas1

If you focus on how you want to do it because of all the different sciences, there's quite a bit you can write :smile: It'll probably come to you when you start writing it :smile:

Hopefully, there doesn't seem to be many of us applying for earth sciences. I wonder what %age of applicants get an offer at each university. I feel like there's not a lot of competition. :colone:
Reply 43

Student room always manages to make me feel bad about my grades :wink: Well done :P Everything I write always sounds cheesy :P Wow I managed to destroy that quote..

Hehe, makes me feel awful too when people go on about how they've got full UMS marks in EVERTHING :rolleyes: but thank you! I think that it's almost impossible to not sound cheesy, so I guess we're okay. How far have you got with it? Wow, yeah you did! Dw, I do it all the time. Especially with PMs :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Wow, hey erm, thanks! Which subjects did you do at A-Level and how big a jump was it between school and undergrad work? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hey umm what are the job prospects like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Hopefully, there doesn't seem to be many of us applying for earth sciences. I wonder what %age of applicants get an offer at each university. I feel like there's not a lot of competition. :colone:

I hope there's only like 6 of us applying.. that'd be nice, at least we're not going for medicine :P :wink:
Reply 47
Original post by loua96
Hehe, makes me feel awful too when people go on about how they've got full UMS marks in EVERTHING :rolleyes: but thank you! I think that it's almost impossible to not sound cheesy, so I guess we're okay. How far have you got with it? Wow, yeah you did! Dw, I do it all the time. Especially with PMs :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on my 3rd draft atm, I'm just drafting and re-drafting till I'm happy, its still no where near done :/ When are you aiming to get your application sent of by? Its too soon!!
Reply 48

For Oxford there's a 22% success rate with around 4.5 applicants per place. Comparing that to medicine (9.7) we're very lucky :teehee:

I'm on my 3rd draft atm, I'm just drafting and re-drafting till I'm happy, its still no where near done :/ When are you aiming to get your application sent of by? Its too soon!!

Awe! Keep at it! It took me four drafts to finish mine, I've lost count of how many hours I spent staring at a blank word doc :rolleyes: I'm aiming for the early deadline (15th Oct) so school's asking it in for the first day back - should get sent pretty quickly after that (unless I've made a complete hash of it) :colone:

How about you? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope there's only like 6 of us applying.. that'd be nice, at least we're not going for medicine :P :wink:

That's true. It's so hard to get into medicine. I just want to get into my top 3 and its fine :smile: was writing my PS on my phone today. Is going along okay ...
Original post by loua96
For Oxford there's a 22% success rate with around 4.5 applicants per place. Comparing that to medicine (9.7) we're very lucky :teehee:

Awe! Keep at it! It took me four drafts to finish mine, I've lost count of how many hours I spent staring at a blank word doc :rolleyes: I'm aiming for the early deadline (15th Oct) so school's asking it in for the first day back - should get sent pretty quickly after that (unless I've made a complete hash of it) :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's okay... Not to shabby. We are pretty lucky :smile:
What are the practicals and field trips like? Want to apply for geology so quite similar...
Hey, I'm applying for Geophysics! Knocking at the door of Imperial, UCL, and... uh, yet to fully decide the remaining three yet. :biggrin:

I'm actually applying during my gap year, with two A-Levels yet to complete... we'll see how it goes.:rolleyes: (not quite such a 'gap' year, is it?)
Reply 53
Original post by loua96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm aiming to give it to my school by October 1st latest, so hopefully will be sent of around mid October :smile:
Reply 54
That's true. It's so hard to get into medicine. I just want to get into my top 3 and its fine :smile: was writing my PS on my phone today. Is going along okay ...

Same about the top 3, I'll be gutted if I don't get offers from some of my top 4 :/
Reply 55
Well doing the degree there's loads of catch-up courses you can do anyway:smile: Ill need to for Physics and Chem (Ill have forgotten it by then :wink: ) You have good grades so you have a fighting chance! Plus there are plenty of other good unis, I've sort of accepted its a long shot applying there for me :P Whats your second fav to Imperial?:smile: Oh that sounds like a really interesting Epq too :smile: To begin with I was drawn in by the idea of its use in the energy industry but Ive since joined a Geology group and I find the fossil and mineral area as well as the plate tectonic areas the most interesting, you? :smile: Sorry that was like a little list of answers :P

Yeah thats true ! Just need to write a banging personal statement now.. feel under so much pressure ! Got the grades but now everything rests on the statement !! Ah.
UCL I think.. If I'm honest, Imperial does look amazing, the course modules and the uni in general. I haven't visited UCL but the modules look very appealing to me!
I do like Bristol thou, I like how they're specialized in volcanology and environmental change, however the uni itself is so old-fashioned whereas like imperial is nice and mod !!

Ooo thats interesting :smile: what geology group have you joined ? So jeal, I hear of nothing like this around my area nor do I know anybody that holds the same interests ! Tgf this forum :smile:

No problemo ! I type a lot too. I'm really interested in volcanology - from volcanic architecture to the potency they hold. I find structural geology quite intriguing - like how a rock formation can be decoded to reveal a deep geological past and also not to forget the interdependence between geological and biological processes ! Haha, sorry babbling about ! and definitely plume tectonics :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by loua96
If you include Citizenship (which unis don't really give a monkeys about, but hey :rolleyes:) I got 5 As.. predicted an B for Chemistry next year, but we'll see :biggrin: Haha, mine sounds really pretentious.. I'm trying to tone it down a bit but currently I sound like a right nitwit :lol:

Hi :wink:
Don't worry about not doing chemistry - most of the unis that I've looked at just require two "science subjects" out of a whole range including Maths, Physics, Bio and sometimes Geology and Geography, so you should be fine! :redface: I'm doing AS Chem because I didn't want to do four A2s but still wanted to stretch myself next year, and as you've said it is very useful.. I wouldn't say that they value it highly but it shows that you're aware of what the course entails and are willing to go above what you're doing in school. In the end, it's up to you :smile:

Yeah I guess that's true. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to but I'm already doing an EPQ, plus i'm worried it'll impact on my grades.. I wanna aim for 3 A*s and an AS might limit my chances of that actually happening - also doesn't help how the bloody government have got rid of jan exams, with everything in the summer :frown: cry
Reply 57
Original post by deecharrl
Yeah thats true ! Just need to write a banging personal statement now.. feel under so much pressure ! Got the grades but now everything rests on the statement !! Ah.
UCL I think.. If I'm honest, Imperial does look amazing, the course modules and the uni in general. I haven't visited UCL but the modules look very appealing to me!
I do like Bristol thou, I like how they're specialized in volcanology and environmental change, however the uni itself is so old-fashioned whereas like imperial is nice and mod !!

Ooo thats interesting :smile: what geology group have you joined ? So jeal, I hear of nothing like this around my area nor do I know anybody that holds the same interests ! Tgf this forum :smile:

No problemo ! I type a lot too. I'm really interested in volcanology - from volcanic architecture to the potency they hold. I find structural geology quite intriguing - like how a rock formation can be decoded to reveal a deep geological past and also not to forget the interdependence between geological and biological processes ! Haha, sorry babbling about ! and definitely plume tectonics :smile:

After Imperial I love UCL, Bristol and Edinburgh :smile:Oxford geology group, I know I was waiting for ages for someone to make us a thread, I gave up and made it myself :P Have you read any good books you would recommend?, I'm going to have to knuckle down :P
Reply 58
After Imperial I love UCL, Bristol and Edinburgh :smile:Oxford geology group, I know I was waiting for ages for someone to make us a thread, I gave up and made it myself :P Have you read any good books you would recommend?, I'm going to have to knuckle down :P

Oo ! I haven't looked at Edinburgh. Need to find a fifth uni. Just been looking at Royal Holloway and Plymouth... Plymouth has much lower grade (ABB) and minimum is one science, but not sure.
Just checked it out now, I'm so jeal ! I want to become a member of some sort of group, would be lush to have the opportunity to go to lectures and that.
Only thing I'm partly member of is the geological society of London, I'm a junior fellow and have access to one journal that I chose. I think I can attend lectures and stuff but they seem really like, daunting! Haha.
Yes! Supercontinent by Ted Nield is brilliant, and I'm currently reading The Earth by Richard Fortey, its pretty chunky but its very inspiring, so interesting !. Also reading an introduction to stratigraphy, think its an undergraduate text but very interesting.
:smile: me too... trying to do my EPQ now and keep procrastinating!! When do u start yours?
Reply 59
Original post by deecharrl
Oo ! I haven't looked at Edinburgh. Need to find a fifth uni. Just been looking at Royal Holloway and Plymouth... Plymouth has much lower grade (ABB) and minimum is one science, but not sure.
Just checked it out now, I'm so jeal ! I want to become a member of some sort of group, would be lush to have the opportunity to go to lectures and that.
Only thing I'm partly member of is the geological society of London, I'm a junior fellow and have access to one journal that I chose. I think I can attend lectures and stuff but they seem really like, daunting! Haha.
Yes! Supercontinent by Ted Nield is brilliant, and I'm currently reading The Earth by Richard Fortey, its pretty chunky but its very inspiring, so interesting !. Also reading an introduction to stratigraphy, think its an undergraduate text but very interesting.
:smile: me too... trying to do my EPQ now and keep procrastinating!! When do u start yours?

Plymouth looks good, I looked there as well, it's important to have a good uni as a back up too :/ :smile:Ooh that sounds cool :smile: And thanks for the book recommendations, need something for my ps :P I don't think our school starts them till early October :/

Quick Reply

Latest