The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Pyjamas1
Plymouth looks good, I looked there as well, it's important to have a good uni as a back up too :/ :smile:Ooh that sounds cool :smile: And thanks for the book recommendations, need something for my ps :P I don't think our school starts them till early October :/

Oo really ? I haven't visited it yet. Only visited Imperial and Bristol, and kind of UCL. I went to one of their year 12 conferences in July.
I think I'll have the chance to view Plymouth in November, I'm going there to their Geohazards conference :biggrin: Iain Stewart is speaking !
Its alright.. I was the same, been reading this summer so I can talk about them. Still want to do more stuff though.
What extra-curricular like stuff do you have ? I.e outdoor stuffs, positions of responsibility bla bla bla. i have none pretty much :frown:

Early october ??? thats so late ! when does it finish? We started in the summer term and ends in March
Reply 61
Original post by deecharrl
Oo really ? I haven't visited it yet. Only visited Imperial and Bristol, and kind of UCL. I went to one of their year 12 conferences in July.
I think I'll have the chance to view Plymouth in November, I'm going there to their Geohazards conference :biggrin: Iain Stewart is speaking !
Its alright.. I was the same, been reading this summer so I can talk about them. Still want to do more stuff though.
What extra-curricular like stuff do you have ? I.e outdoor stuffs, positions of responsibility bla bla bla. i have none pretty much :frown:

Early october ??? thats so late ! when does it finish? We started in the summer term and ends in March

Iain Stewart is a professor at Plymouth isn't he? I don't have many, I'm a peer supporter for Year 7's, Amnesty international , Im focusing largely on the Geology group and the lectures and field work I have done with them :smile: You? And yes it is late, guess I'll have to be quick :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Iain Stewart is a professor at Plymouth isn't he? I don't have many, I'm a peer supporter for Year 7's, Amnesty international , Im focusing largely on the Geology group and the lectures and field work I have done with them :smile: You? And yes it is late, guess I'll have to be quick :P

Yep !! did you watch rise of the continents?
Oh cmon thats good ! i wanted to join amnesty international at my college but it was full :/ might do when we go back, although I'm hoping there will be some sort of geology group, as now my college have started a geology a-level this September!
How long have you been in the group for ? So jealous, would love to do fieldwork ! Depending on when I get paid I'm going down to barton-on-sea (nearest geological location) to observe some cretaceous rock formations and maybe some fossils haha, feel so geeky, but need some sort of outdoor experience, yknow! :biggrin:
Reply 63
Yep !! did you watch rise of the continents?
Oh cmon thats good ! i wanted to join amnesty international at my college but it was full :/ might do when we go back, although I'm hoping there will be some sort of geology group, as now my college have started a geology a-level this September!
How long have you been in the group for ? So jealous, would love to do fieldwork ! Depending on when I get paid I'm going down to barton-on-sea (nearest geological location) to observe some cretaceous rock formations and maybe some fossils haha, feel so geeky, but need some sort of outdoor experience, yknow! :biggrin:

No, I haven't.. I may try and watch some of his stuff online or on DVD:smile: About a year :smile: That sounds cool!!
Reply 64
No, I haven't.. I may try and watch some of his stuff online or on DVD:smile: About a year :smile: That sounds cool!!

its good.. although i have to say his voice gets a bit annoying after a while but some pretty interesting stuff !
Reply 65
Yeah I guess that's true. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to but I'm already doing an EPQ, plus i'm worried it'll impact on my grades.. I wanna aim for 3 A*s and an AS might limit my chances of that actually happening - also doesn't help how the bloody government have got rid of jan exams, with everything in the summer :frown: cry

I'm doing an EPQ too :biggrin: I have those worries, but last year I was able to juggle loads of things without jeopardising my grades, so I think I should be alright this year :smile: I've also got 3A* predicted grades. I know what you mean, it is a bit annoying but it just means that revision has to be sustained all year, which is what happens at most unis :rolleyes:

Ahh! The exact same subjects as me! Did you drop any at A2? Yeah, I get it.. just have to change your approach :smile:

Original post by FlyHigh_er
Oh that's okay... Not to shabby. We are pretty lucky :smile:

Yup, there's much worse out there :lol:

I'm aiming to give it to my school by October 1st latest, so hopefully will be sent of around mid October :smile:

Cool-cool! Where are you thinking of applying then (sorry if you've answered this before! :colondollar:)?

Original post by Political Cake
Hey, I'm applying for Geophysics! Knocking at the door of Imperial, UCL, and... uh, yet to fully decide the remaining three yet. :biggrin:

I'm actually applying during my gap year, with two A-Levels yet to complete... we'll see how it goes.:rolleyes: (not quite such a 'gap' year, is it?)

Yay! Another prospective Geophysicist! I love the sound of the course at Imperial, it's good that it starts off broadly :biggrin: Also, UEA, Southampton, Liverpool and Leeds have pretty strong Geophysics departments so I'm looking at those So how many A-Levels have you completed? :redface:
Reply 66
Original post by loua96
I'm doing an EPQ too :biggrin: I have those worries, but last year I was able to juggle loads of things without jeopardising my grades, so I think I should be alright this year :smile: I've also got 3A* predicted grades. I know what you mean, it is a bit annoying but it just means that revision has to be sustained all year, which is what happens at most unis :rolleyes:

Ahh! The exact same subjects as me! Did you drop any at A2? Yeah, I get it.. just have to change your approach :smile:

Cool-cool! Where are you thinking of applying then (sorry if you've answered this before! :colondollar:)?

Yay! Another prospective Geophysicist! I love the sound of the course at Imperial, it's good that it starts off broadly :biggrin: Also, UEA, Southampton, Liverpool and Leeds have pretty strong Geophysics departments so I'm looking at those So how many A-Levels have you completed? :redface:

Atm I'm thinking Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, Bristol, Birmingham :smile: u? I see your predicted A*A*A*, it's because of people like you I have no hope :wink:
Reply 67
its good.. although i have to say his voice gets a bit annoying after a while but some pretty interesting stuff !

Cool :smile:
Reply 68
Atm I'm thinking Imperial, Edinburgh, UCL, Bristol, Birmingham :smile: u? I see your predicted A*A*A*, it's because of people like you I have no hope :wink:

Please don't say that, your AS results were good! And they're also predictions, which doesn't mean that I'll get them :lol: Plus unis take a holistic look, so it depends on a lot of factors :redface: well I thinl I'm going to apply to ICL, Oxford, Southampton, Leeds and UEA :awesome: I know quite a lot about Birmingham (I live just outside it) so if you ever have any q's about the city, feel free :biggrin:

Cool, thanks! Would you recommend doing some Chemistry in preparation for the course? I know for geophysics there is less of a focus on the chemistry but I may be applying for geology and geophysics at ICL, so I'm planning on doing an as :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Well firstly I would like to ask what A levels you did and what grades they were? Also do you know for Geology if you need Physics A level? I really really want to do Geophysics but it may be a struggle to try and get into Physics A level as i've already chosen final options...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by loua96
Please don't say that, your AS results were good! And they're also predictions, which doesn't mean that I'll get them :lol: Plus unis take a holistic look, so it depends on a lot of factors :redface: well I thinl I'm going to apply to ICL, Oxford, Southampton, Leeds and UEA :awesome: I know quite a lot about Birmingham (I live just outside it) so if you ever have any q's about the city, feel free :biggrin:

Cool, thanks! Would you recommend doing some Chemistry in preparation for the course? I know for geophysics there is less of a focus on the chemistry but I may be applying for geology and geophysics at ICL, so I'm planning on doing an as :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, well lets hope we all manage to get what we are predicted, and well done on your results :smile:I live just outside Oxford so if you have any questions about it too?:P Ummm whats the feel like there? How big is the city? And do you know if the uni buildings and accommodation are quite central?:smile:
Reply 71
Original post by loua96

Oh and ditto about Southampton ! I live right by it, hence why I refuse to apply there !
Reply 72
Original post by loua96

To Loua96 ... Okay sorry I have NO idea how to reply without doing these quote things!!! They're really annoying! Ah, still can't get the hang out it.
That's so good ! I'm so jealous.. I don't think I'd be able to handle that, I'm struggling with EPQ at the mo its so difficult and time consuming filtering through so much info. What are you doing yours on?
Thats amazing.. I don't know my predicted grades until I go back to college so annoying. How do you get predicted A*'s? Is it based on whether you achieved more than 80% of the AS ? (A* = atleast 80% AS and 90% A2)
Yep very true.. Our college recommends atleast 5 hours of outside work on each subject per week so to ensure I do this I'm proper organising a timetable today ! Do you do the same to ensure you keep up all the time?
Reply 73
Thanks, well lets hope we all manage to get what we are predicted, and well done on your results :smile:I live just outside Oxford so if you have any questions about it too?:P Ummm whats the feel like there? How big is the city? And do you know if the uni buildings and accommodation are quite central?:smile:

Aww, thank you! Yep, good luck to everyone! :smile: ohh wow, that's great! Erm, is there a lot to do in the city for leisure? And what's the music scene like? :tongue: B'ham is a LOT better than everyone thinks, the city centre is nice with lots of things to do... the city as a whole is big, but the city centre is small enough to get around by foot. Very pedestrianised :redface: Well... both the uni and accommodation are just outside town, about 5 mins by bus. The area's lovely, lots of green space but still in the thick of it :biggrin:

To Loua96 ... Okay sorry I have NO idea how to reply without doing these quote things!!! They're really annoying! Ah, still can't get the hang out it.
That's so good ! I'm so jealous.. I don't think I'd be able to handle that, I'm struggling with EPQ at the mo its so difficult and time consuming filtering through so much info. What are you doing yours on?
Thats amazing.. I don't know my predicted grades until I go back to college so annoying. How do you get predicted A*'s? Is it based on whether you achieved more than 80% of the AS ? (A* = atleast 80% AS and 90% A2)
Yep very true.. Our college recommends atleast 5 hours of outside work on each subject per week so to ensure I do this I'm proper organising a timetable today ! Do you do the same to ensure you keep up all the time?

It's fine!! Haha, you and Pyjamas will learn eventually. It takes a while - trust me! :mmm:

Oh there's really no need to be jealous... I'm the one who isn't going to have a life this year :lol: it's frustrating isn't it!? We've just started ours so I've been researching, but the reviewing kills :eek: mine's on geodynamo theory, and you? :smile:

Thanks, I couldn't believe it when I got them... totally expected an A for physics. They emailed us with them, and they use a combo of your AS UMS marks (so yeah, getting over 90%) and their own judgement... I think :lolwut: Now if I could just get them next june :rolleyes:

Ours says that too! Hmm, that's a really good idea, good to start on track and then the rest will surely follow :ahee: tbh, I got a diary from school but never used it :colondollar: I would strongly recommend that you don't do that, because I regularly turned up to lessons without doing the homework set :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Sorry to keep nagging haha, do you know if the job prospects are just as good for any international students who did the same degree?
Reply 75
Original post by loua96
Aww, thank you! Yep, good luck to everyone! :smile: ohh wow, that's great! Erm, is there a lot to do in the city for leisure? And what's the music scene like? :tongue: B'ham is a LOT better than everyone thinks, the city centre is nice with lots of things to do... the city as a whole is big, but the city centre is small enough to get around by foot. Very pedestrianised :redface: Well... both the uni and accommodation are just outside town, about 5 mins by bus. The area's lovely, lots of green space but still in the thick of it :biggrin:

It's fine!! Haha, you and Pyjamas will learn eventually. It takes a while - trust me! :mmm:

Oh there's really no need to be jealous... I'm the one who isn't going to have a life this year :lol: it's frustrating isn't it!? We've just started ours so I've been researching, but the reviewing kills :eek: mine's on geodynamo theory, and you? :smile:

Thanks, I couldn't believe it when I got them... totally expected an A for physics. They emailed us with them, and they use a combo of your AS UMS marks (so yeah, getting over 90%) and their own judgement... I think :lolwut: Now if I could just get them next june :rolleyes:

Ours says that too! Hmm, that's a really good idea, good to start on track and then the rest will surely follow :ahee: tbh, I got a diary from school but never used it :colondollar: I would strongly recommend that you don't do that, because I regularly turned up to lessons without doing the homework set :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully ! Been on this for nearly a year and still can't work it haha.
Ooo, that sounds interesting! Mine is much less exciting..snowball earth hypothesis.. I guess it's quite interesting but idk why I'm just really not enjoying doing it atm, think it's where its quite hard to do sciency projects because you just evaluate information and NEVER putting ur own opinion, driving me nuts. Also, do you do a bit of EPQ like everyday? I'm making myself do atleast 30 mins a day and I'm sad to say I have been struggling a lot this summer ! Gosss knows what I'm going to be like when we actually start writing it up haha. I would love to do it on something like the mantle plume hypothesis, but that requires an undergrad level of knowledge :/ haha

Ahh i see... well back to college tomorrow, should get them soon, I'm pretty nervous tbh :/ my biology isnt' that great, only 250/300 and an A was 240. But still JUST over the 80% threshold for AS.

I won't! I'm an organizing freaak and proud.. I make so many plans to make plans and yeah I have issuess :colondollar: but good ones !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by loua96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I was worried because I haven't had time to visit yet :smile: I love Oxford, if you like shopping for leisure like me you'll be fine :wink: There is loads to do here, all the normal stuff you'd expect in a city you wont be bored:smile: I'd recommend punting, I haven't fallen in yet :wink:Well there's lots of pubs and bars I guess with new music, there's also the O2 academy on Cowley road which has plenty of acts both well known and up and coming :smile:
Reply 77
Hopefully ! Been on this for nearly a year and still can't work it haha.
Ooo, that sounds interesting! Mine is much less exciting..snowball earth hypothesis.. I guess it's quite interesting but idk why I'm just really not enjoying doing it atm, think it's where its quite hard to do sciency projects because you just evaluate information and NEVER putting ur own opinion, driving me nuts. Also, do you do a bit of EPQ like everyday? I'm making myself do atleast 30 mins a day and I'm sad to say I have been struggling a lot this summer ! Gosss knows what I'm going to be like when we actually start writing it up haha. I would love to do it on something like the mantle plume hypothesis, but that requires an undergrad level of knowledge :/ haha

Ahh i see... well back to college tomorrow, should get them soon, I'm pretty nervous tbh :/ my biology isnt' that great, only 250/300 and an A was 240. But still JUST over the 80% threshold for AS.

I won't! I'm an organizing freaak and proud.. I make so many plans to make plans and yeah I have issuess :colondollar: but good ones !

WOAH! Wait - I thought you were a newbie! :eek: You have no excuse for not knowing how to quote! Noob :tongue: Nonono, snowball earth hypothesis is very interesting and I bet that you'll have a much easier time finding info than me :lol: aww, yeah I get what you mean. It's easy enough (not that easy, but comparatively easy) for people doing arts-based EPQs to analyse and evaluate, because they're working with qualitative data - for mine there's quite a chunky section where I'm analysing palaeomagnetic records which is fairly excruciating :colonhash: I don't, just the occasional trip to the library.. but my research isn't due until the 2nd week back :wink: ahh yes, that would've been a juicy topic! Why do the concepts in it have to be this complex? :rolleyes:

You have college on a Sunday?! :eek: hmm, it can be quite nerve-racking but you'll get good predicted grades no sweat :biggrin: ONLY 250/300? Technically, you only need 90% in your A2 modules so if you do well this year those UMS marks won't matter :tongue:

And I'm a unorganised sloth and I'm proud :mmm: issues that got you stellar AS results might I add :tongue:

Thanks, I was worried because I haven't had time to visit yet :smile: I love Oxford, if you like shopping for leisure like me you'll be fine :wink: There is loads to do here, all the normal stuff you'd expect in a city you wont be bored:smile: I'd recommend punting, I haven't fallen in yet :wink:Well there's lots of pubs and bars I guess with new music, there's also the O2 academy on Cowley road which has plenty of acts both well known and up and coming :smile:

Don't mention it! As long as you've had a look at the accommodation, you won't have to. The city is fine :smile: YAY! Are there lots of independent retailers? I love the normal high-street stores but I like to explore in cute boutiques. Bit weird, I know :rolleyes: arw man, I'd love to go punting looks really fun! Great, thank you. There's an O2 academy in Bham too btw.. I'm so excited, need to apply right NOW :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by loua96
WOAH! Wait - I thought you were a newbie! :eek: You have no excuse for not knowing how to quote! Noob :tongue: Nonono, snowball earth hypothesis is very interesting and I bet that you'll have a much easier time finding info than me :lol: aww, yeah I get what you mean. It's easy enough (not that easy, but comparatively easy) for people doing arts-based EPQs to analyse and evaluate, because they're working with qualitative data - for mine there's quite a chunky section where I'm analysing palaeomagnetic records which is fairly excruciating :colonhash: I don't, just the occasional trip to the library.. but my research isn't due until the 2nd week back :wink: ahh yes, that would've been a juicy topic! Why do the concepts in it have to be this complex? :rolleyes:

You have college on a Sunday?! :eek: hmm, it can be quite nerve-racking but you'll get good predicted grades no sweat :biggrin: ONLY 250/300? Technically, you only need 90% in your A2 modules so if you do well this year those UMS marks won't matter :tongue:

And I'm a unorganised sloth and I'm proud :mmm: issues that got you stellar AS results might I add :tongue:

Don't mention it! As long as you've had a look at the accommodation, you won't have to. The city is fine :smile: YAY! Are there lots of independent retailers? I love the normal high-street stores but I like to explore in cute boutiques. Bit weird, I know :rolleyes: arw man, I'd love to go punting looks really fun! Great, thank you. There's an O2 academy in Bham too btw.. I'm so excited, need to apply right NOW :biggrin:

I'm excited mixed with nervous, I need to sort my ps out so bad :P! There's lots of little stores of all the main high streets if you don't mind going for a wonder, there's a few on the main streets too and I know there's some nice vintage stores around :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by loua96

I meant monday back to college haha I'm not with it atm :tongue:
Ah that's not so bad! I need to start writing my research up. That analysis does sound pretty painful ! Thing is where snowball earth hypothesis there is SO much information to go through... and then I have to be extra careful to actually include what is totally relevant yknw.
Yeah I guess so, just biology is a little biz.. do you take it?
And hows personal statement coming along? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending