The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science 2014 Entry

I wasn't sure if there was one of these already, if there is can someone link it? If not would be nice to discuss with other people planning to apply for Geology or Earth science for 2014 entry :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pyjamas1
I wasn't sure if there was one of these already, if there is can someone link it? If not would be nice to discuss with other people planning to apply for Geology or Earth science for 2014 entry :smile:

Hey I am? Where are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 2
Atm I'm thinking Imperial, Edinburgh, Bristol, UCL and Birmingham all for Msci Geology :smile: But they're all quite high offers so I'm considering others as well, its so hard to decide! How about you?
Atm I'm thinking Imperial, Edinburgh, Bristol, UCL and Birmingham all for Msci Geology :smile: But they're all quite high offers so I'm considering others as well, its so hard to decide! How about you?

I'm thinking UCL, Bristol, Manchester, then two of Durham, Exeter, Birmingham or Liverpool.

Have you written your personal statement? :smile:
Reply 4
Hey there guys,

Imperial Oxford UCL Durham and haven't picked my 5th yet! What do you guys take for A-level?
Reply 5
I did Maths, Biology, Geography and Chemistry :smile: But I'm dropping chemistry :smile: You? And I've started my personal statement but its pretty shameful right now:wink: Have you guys written them?
Reply 6
Maths Further Maths Chem Physics and Geography, and have no idea what to drop or how many to drop! hahaha. I've started it as well, on my 3rd draft but it's still pretty bad :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by kkohli17
Maths Further Maths Chem Physics and Geography, and have no idea what to drop or how many to drop! hahaha. I've started it as well, on my 3rd draft but it's still pretty bad :confused:

Wow that's impressive subjects, I can see why your applying to Oxford :wink: I actually live by Oxford so if you have any questions about the city I might be able to help :smile: What did you guys get at AS?
Reply 8
I am applying for 2014 entry too :smile: although you guys have the best subjects, I just hit the minimum. How is everyone getting on with personal statements?
I am failing miserably - I have made sooo many plans to make plans.. think I have issues, although I have pretty much written out parts of it, just in plan format. Is anybody else finding it really difficult? Stressing!

AS results good ?
Reply 9
Original post by deecharrl
I am applying for 2014 entry too :smile: although you guys have the best subjects, I just hit the minimum. How is everyone getting on with personal statements?
I am failing miserably - I have made sooo many plans to make plans.. think I have issues, although I have pretty much written out parts of it, just in plan format. Is anybody else finding it really difficult? Stressing!

AS results good ?

AABB and a B in gen studs :smile: I'm dropping one of the B's and having a paper from the other B re marked, if it doesn't go up Ill probably retake one exam :smile: How about you? And I'm finding my personal statement so hard!!
Reply 10
Wow that's impressive subjects, I can see why your applying to Oxford :wink: I actually live by Oxford so if you have any questions about the city I might be able to help :smile: What did you guys get at AS?

Oh yeah that's be great, imperial is honestly my first choice but that's only cause i don't know much about Oxford. Oh well don't think ill get in anyway haha

Umm i got 5 a's which only makes the selection for a2 subjects harder, but hey it's better than being on the opposite end I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Finally, my kind of thread! :biggrin:

I'm hoping to apply for Geophysics (and EarthSci at Oxford :wink:), I'm pretty nervous. Currently my uni choices are: Imperial, Southampton (twice - one for the year abroad option), Oxford and the fifth has yet to be decided. Maybe UEA or Bristol.

I did AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and will be dropping F Maths. Picking up AS Chemistry this year which I'm slightly fretting about looking at my friend's results this year. Oh well :rolleyes:

How's everyone getting on with their PS's and stuff? :smile:
I do maths, chemistry, biology and economics and I got ABBB and getting my paper in Chem remarked. I had written my PS for maths but now I have to start from scratch and write for geology. I'm not sure which out of bio or econ to drop :frown: also going to pick up AS further maths
Reply 13
Original post by kkohli17
Oh yeah that's be great, imperial is honestly my first choice but that's only cause i don't know much about Oxford. Oh well don't think ill get in anyway haha

Umm i got 5 a's which only makes the selection for a2 subjects harder, but hey it's better than being on the opposite end I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on your results! Oxford is a great city, the entire city is beautiful, but witl a nice mix of new and old :smile: There's Cowley road with the O2 arena if if you like music, there's plenty of shopping down the main high street. Its a nice mix of busy city with pretty area (defo wont be bored) :smile: If I had your grades, subjects and didn't live here Id love to come :smile: Ive also been in the Earth science building before and its really modern and the lecture theatres are the best I've seen at a uni so far :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by FlyHigh_er
I do maths, chemistry, biology and economics and I got ABBB and getting my paper in Chem remarked. I had written my PS for maths but now I have to start from scratch and write for geology. I'm not sure which out of bio or econ to drop :frown: also going to pick up AS further maths

Well done on your results!! Why have you decided against maths?:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by loua96

I'm hoping to apply for Geophysics (and EarthSci at Oxford :wink:), I'm pretty nervous. Currently my uni choices are: Imperial, Southampton (twice - one for the year abroad option), Oxford and the fifth has yet to be decided. Maybe UEA or Bristol.

I did AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and will be dropping F Maths. Picking up AS Chemistry this year which I'm slightly fretting about looking at my friend's results this year. Oh well :rolleyes:

What did you get at AS? My ps crap so far :wink:
Well done on your results!! Why have you decided against maths?:smile:

I dunno really, just wanted something more "interesting" I suppose, although I love maths. And I really like chemistry so didn't want to give that up so geology combines maths and chem along with physics and geog. I haven't even been able to start my PS as I'm on holiday so I have to do it as soon as I get back. Gonna have some serious jet lag :frown:

how is your PS going?
Reply 17
AABB and a B in gen studs :smile: I'm dropping one of the B's and having a paper from the other B re marked, if it doesn't go up Ill probably retake one exam :smile: How about you? And I'm finding my personal statement so hard!!

Ooo well done!!
I got 4 A's and 2 E's hehe... E in general studies and E in critical thinking lol.
I've noticed I'm applying to 3 of the unis that you are ! (Imperial UCL and Bristol), also Leicester probs, just can't find a 5th one.. probably should soon..

PS is so hard.. I've made it a lot easier now though.. I've made a word document and have just put headings on specific aspects of geology that interest me and made bullet points, justifying interests etc.
So nervous about applying though!

:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by loua96

Hi... do you think it is worth picking up AS chemistry this year ?? I've been fretting over whether to for the past couple of months and still considering now, now I see that people are still picking up AS's.
Do universities e.g. Imperial / UCL value an AS in chem highly ? I don't have chemistry (very annoyed) and obvs it is highly relevant to studying geology.
Reply 19
Original post by deecharrl
Ooo well done!!
I got 4 A's and 2 E's hehe... E in general studies and E in critical thinking lol.
I've noticed I'm applying to 3 of the unis that you are ! (Imperial UCL and Bristol), also Leicester probs, just can't find a 5th one.. probably should soon..

PS is so hard.. I've made it a lot easier now though.. I've made a word document and have just put headings on specific aspects of geology that interest me and made bullet points, justifying interests etc.
So nervous about applying though!

:smile:

Thanks, you too!! That sounds like a good way to do your personal statement :smile: I've just been drafting and then re drafting, hopefully at some point Ill like it :wink: Which subjects do you take?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending