The Student Room Group

Will my AS choices lead to a good career?

Hello, I'm starting my first year at sixth form in 2 weeks time with the AS choices: Chemistry / Biology / Maths / Business

I've considering about doing medicine in uni, but if I fail Chemistry and Biology at A-level, what other courses in uni would be available for a qualification in maths and business and career paths? Thanks
Reply 1
Your subjects are probably fine for Medicine. If you are an applicant of medicine, then you HAVE to have 1 option out of your 5 which is NOT medicine. Most people pick bio medicine or something like physiotherapy/psychology/nursing.

You could also look at Financial Mathematics or Business Management (Very popular course) or even something like Economics (Probably one of the most competitive courses in the Uk) or Accounting and Finance. It wouldn't be surprising to see joint honors such as Business with Maths or Mathematics with Business+Management

Likewise Actuary is HEAVILY maths based. Which is about calculating risks. Not many universities do this, but have high applicants to places ratio due to the small class sizes.

From the above list, Economics followed by Actuary is probably the hardest to get in (Alongside highest entry requirements)

Original post by Phillip1337
Hello, I'm starting my first year at sixth form in 2 weeks time with the AS choices: Chemistry / Biology / Maths / Business

I've considering about doing medicine in uni, but if I fail Chemistry and Biology at A-level, what other courses in uni would be available for a qualification in maths and business and career paths? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Considering that most (if not all) university courses require 3A-levels you cannot simply fail both Chemistry and Biology.

So if you passed 3 of them including maths and business you could go for at uni:
- Maths (not all unis)
- Actuarial Science (not all unis)
- Economics (not all unis)
- Psychology
- Business Management
- Marketing
- Other business degrees e.g. Accounting & Finance
- etc

Make sure you do 3 to a good standard if you struggle with the 4th, but try to ace all of them by working consistently
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
Considering that most (if not all) university courses require 3A-levels you cannot simply fail both Chemistry and Biology.

So if you passed 3 of them including maths and business you could go for at uni:
- Maths (not all unis)
- Actuarial Science (not all unis)
- Economics (not all unis)
- Psychology
- Business Management
- Marketing
- Other business degrees e.g. Accounting & Finance
- etc

Make sure you do 3 to a good standard if you struggle with the 4th, but try to ace all of them by working consistently

I meant fail as in not getting the grade to do the course I want for UNI which I think in most uni's you need A or B in A-level chemistry/biology

Quick Reply

Latest