Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What laptop should I buy for uni??

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am starting uni in September and don't have a clue about which laptop I should buy. I will only be using the laptop for essays, watching films, and browsing the internet so doesn't need to be anything special. Any advice would be appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend something with an intel i3 processor (or an AMD A8), at least 4gb of RAM, and at least a 500GB hard drive...a laptop with these specs should be plenty for what you want to use it for
    Edit: Be warned, windows 8 doesn't play DVD's unless you pay for a pretty pricey upgrade, but there is some freeware available to play them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just got a Mac Book Pro 15". It's very niiiiice :borat:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heythere247)
    I'd recommend something with an intel i3 processor (or an AMD A8), at least 4gb of RAM, and at least a 500GB hard drive...a laptop with these specs should be plenty for what you want to use it for
    Edit: Be warned, windows 8 doesn't play DVD's unless you pay for a pretty pricey upgrade, but there is some freeware available to play them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks will bear all that in mind when getting one, thanks
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curtis_B)
    I am starting uni in September and don't have a clue about which laptop I should buy. I will only be using the laptop for essays, watching films, and browsing the internet so doesn't need to be anything special. Any advice would be appreciated
    Whats your budget ?

Look for laptop with the specifications below:

Processor: Intel Core i3
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Disk: 500GB+
    USB: At least 1 or 2 USB 3.0 port
    Optical Drive: DVD R+-W

And long battery life like 4 hrs+
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frappe framboise)
    I'm not too keen on apple products myself and as I am only using it for essays, internet and watching films I don't really want to be spending £1000 just to do that
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frappe framboise)
    I'm not too keen on apple products myself and as I am only using it for essays, internet and watching films I don't really want to be spending £1000 just to do that
    Finally someone who has sense. Macs are a waste of money. Its like Prada and Gucci where you are buying the brand rather than the product.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaback21)
    Whats your budget ?

Look for laptop with the specifications below:

Processor: Intel Core i3
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Disk: 500GB+
    USB: At least 1 or 2 USB 3.0 port
    Optical Drive: DVD R+-W

And long battery life like 4 hrs+
    I have £600 to get one but don't want to spend all of it on one just because I can if you know what I mean? I am thinking that I will probably be best of with a dell with the specifications you mentioned, thanks for the advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you said there is no real reason to bother with a macbook (at all in my opinion) especially regarding your usage case.
    The current consensus; i3 from intel or A8/A10 or even an A6 from AMD. The advantage of the AMD APU's are the entry level discrete GPU built on to the chip, but they suffer in CPU intensive tasks compared to an i3 though some APU's can beat the i3.
    It really comes down to your budget/what you wish to spend
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have £600 to get one but don't want to spend all of it on one just because I can if you know what I mean? I am thinking that I will probably be best of with a dell with the specifications you mentioned, thanks for the advice
    I can send you a link to a laptop I got with those specs, you'll save a fair bit of that £600 for freshers week too! Although it does have USB 2.0 rather than 3.0 but it doesn't make much difference in my opinion for the things I use USB ports for

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    i just got a thinkpad t430 for it
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a very good laptop with the above specifications for around £400. For £600 you looking at a very good gaming/graphics laptop which will be unnecessary. Dell will be good, if you want a little style look at the HP Pavilion with touch.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally someone who has sense. Macs are a waste of money. Its like Prada and Gucci where you are buying the brand rather than the product.
    Just going to put my 2 cents in and say, have you ever even had a mac? I've used both, spending an equal amount on each laptop, and osx outclasses it in every way.

To OP, why not buy a tablet? Its lighter, more portable and probably cheaper. you can do everything on a tablet you can do on a laptop besides high end gaming.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabinthemist)
    Just going to put my 2 cents in and say, have you ever even had a mac? I've used both, spending an equal amount on each laptop, and osx outclasses it in every way.

To OP, why not buy a tablet? Its lighter, more portable and probably cheaper. you can do everything on a tablet you can do on a laptop besides high end gaming.
    Guess you've never done much coding or essay writing...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got this one http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...56575-pdt.html , originally £900 but down to, technically, 400.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Guess you've never done much coding or essay writing...
    lol...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a very good laptop with the above specifications for around £400. For £600 you looking at a very good gaming/graphics laptop which will be unnecessary. Dell will be good, if you want a little style look at the HP Pavilion with touch.
    I have just looked at the HP Pavilion laptops and think I will go for one of them, thanks for your help. and I agree with your previous comment about buying the brand I think most of the people buying Mac Books do so so they can can say they own a Mac Book not because it's what they need or will use
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought the Lenovo G570 just over a year ago, and it's so easy to navigate I'd definitely recommend it.
    It's got practically all the specs mentioned above, and a webcam (useful for Skyping home if you're in halls etc.) They're around £400:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G570-.../dp/B007IZU8UC
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    All you will probably need is i3 processor, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive.
    If I was you I would keep to a budget of £350.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.