The Student Room Group

Bad grades, what to drop for medicine?

[INDENT] hi everyone, i am about to start my A2 year. I am very confused, and need some advice. I was considering medicine, but these grades will limit me badly!,

My AS level results were;
Maths: C 195/300 Bombed Core1, which is regarded by everyone as the "easiest"
Bio:
C 190/300
Chem: B 223/300
Physics: B
210/300

I am very confused on what to drop... My dad is saying forget about specific unis and courses its about "survival" so you need to drop bio (As you got the lowest UMS) , to have the best possible chance of getting the best grades next year.

My dream is to do medicine, and biology is required by places like kings, ie edmp, and many other unis, so i would rather drop physics or maths, (and work my socks of next year, and try my best to get AAA prediction)

i could have got an A in maths, but had a headache and got an E grade in what should have been the easiest exam. My gut feeling is to drop physics and work ultra hard next year...

I am eligible for some widening acces programmes, but if I am predicted AAA wont they just tell me to go away and apply for the standard course? thanks in advance!!!!

Thank you so much, any bit of advice would help me so much, and would make such a difference!!!

[/INDENT]
Reply 1
Original post by oranjuice
hi everyone, i am about to start my A2 year. I am very confused, and need some advice. I was considering medicine, but these grades will limit me badly!,

Bio:
C 190/300
210/300

I am very confused on what to drop... My dad is saying forget about specific unis and courses its about "survival" so you need to drop bio (As you got the lowest UMS) , to have the best possible chance of getting the best grades next year.

My dream is to do medicine, and biology is required by places like kings, ie edmp, and many other unis, so i would rather drop physics or maths, (and work my socks of next year, and try my best to get AAA prediction)

i could have got an A in maths, but had a headache and got an E grade in what should have been the easiest exam. My gut feeling is to drop physics and work ultra hard next year...

I am eligible for some widening acces programmes, but if I am predicted AAA wont they just tell me to go away and apply for the standard course? thanks in advance!!!!

Thank you so much, any bit of advice would help me so much, and would make such a difference!!!

I would suggest (if your school allows this) to continue all four subject for the first term, this may help you to gauge which subjects you are going to better in and therefore help you to decide which subject to drop.

Good luck :smile:
I wouldn't recommend you drop biology, particularly if your course has quite a lot of focus on human biology, as it can help when you begin medicine in the first term. I think you should go for maths or physics, which ever one you find harder to achieve high UMS in, especially in AS modules.
Reply 3
Original post by oranjuice
[INDENT] hi everyone, i am about to start my A2 year. I am very confused, and need some advice. I was considering medicine, but these grades will limit me badly!,

Bio:
C 190/300
210/300

[/INDENT]

I would say drop maths maybe retake C1 to get a B but don't take it at A" take it from me maths gets 100% harder in A2 and isnt worth the stress as it isnt compulsery for medicine. Look into widening access courses in medicine and find out what they need when you get your set predicted grades email the unis and ask them what they want and how you would be judged as an applicant. I would say keep biology as not having it puts you at a huge disadvantage also its so relevant to medicine and if you do get in you'll need a lot of the information at A2. Biology is a subject that you can easily go up a grade in all you have to do is read the revision guides and past papers all the answers will be things available to you I went up a grade from retaking one exam
Reply 4
I have talked to some people about this, but for widening access courses like southampton and kings ie edmp, the offers are lower, and the standard offer for edmp is BBB.... If you are predicted AAA, wont they just teall you to "apply for the standard course"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending