The Student Room Group

Warwick A101 applicants 2014

Hey guys :smile:

Who else is thinking of applying for Warwick grad entry this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What was their UKCAT cut-off last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep! And it was 685 I think?
Reply 3
Original post by MJK91
Yep! And it was 685 I think?

Cool. How you coming along with your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just refining the PS a bit really then raring to go :smile: How about yourself?
the cut-off last year was 2690. so 672.5 average, it's on their website.
Reply 6
Original post by MJK91
Just refining the PS a bit really then raring to go :smile: How about yourself?

Started my ps a little while a go and have jotted some notes for it but putting it off a bit as a couple of my choices could focus quite heavily on it. Will probably start tackling it properly this weekend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by applicant111
the cut-off last year was 2690. so 672.5 average, it's on their website.

That's quite low, do you have a link where it shows that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrWally

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to admissions then selection criteria. That assumes an amazing PS.
Original post by DrWally

Posted from TSR Mobile

check on their website, under "facts and figures".
Reply 10
I'm definitely applying to warwick this year. I went to their GEM open back in march and it was amazing
Reply 11
Original post by santi_92
I'm definitely applying to warwick this year. I went to their GEM open back in march and it was amazing

Was it? I'm applying but missed the open day. What kind of things did they do/say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Amyk89
Was it? I'm applying but missed the open day. What kind of things did they do/say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I got there slightly late as it was a 5hr drive from Kent; blame the M25! But most people were late so they pushed it back time-wise.

There was a section where current students spoke to us in the main mtc (medical teaching centre) lecture theatre. This was pretty informative as they told us of their own experiences applying to medical school, dealing with rejection, gaining acceptance and in general how their life has been at warwick. They also gave information of how the course is laid out such as lectures and small groups for problem based learning etc. Also just how busy they are and how much work they have to do! Which I did not find daunting, what can I say? When you love something and want to do it, does it really seem like work?

A huge factor for me was their use of plastinated prosections which they had on display in the MTC common room, although we weren't allowed to touch them for obvious reasons. But the plastinations were amazing and it really showed just how updated they are not just with the teaching of anatomy but medicine as a whole. They had films of organs and muscles from real humans which they put on a projector to show, and the lecturer engaged us by asking questions about what we could see and if we could identify certain organs or layers etc.

That's just one of the incredible things!

The taster sessions for me cannot be described in one word. They were so incredible and just awesome. For me at least a memorable thing from the taster sessions, is how they actually made me feel like I was a medical student. The taster sessions were: Resuscitation, Clinical Examination, Clinical Anatomy and Ethics. We were given the most up-to-date equipment to work with in the taster sessions, such as tools for ear exams and eye exams. We even made use of stethoscopes! Super fun times! One thing that stuck: in the clinical anatomy session, they had torso models of females which we could examine for the purpose of identifying the tell tale signs of breast cancer. I was shocked by how real it was! Most women with the condition often say they felt a lump or a hard mass; I had no idea just how hard this mass was until the open day when I examined the model! In my mind, this was evidence of how Warwick engage their medical students by getting them to perform practical tasks. Now ethics, is normally the most boring part. But for the life of me, I have no idea how they managed to make it so interesting! I wasn't bored at all and I had driven 5hrs to get there and only had about 3hrs of sleep! All in all, their facilities and equipment were incredible.

The day closed with an optional campus tour. The campus size was really quite remarkable, and the scenery was a pleasure to look at. Honestly, I'm so glad I went to the open day. In the past, I've underestimated the value of visiting the institution before applying or attending. Visiting warwick, as cheesy as it may sound lol, I loved the place as soon as I saw the medical school sign at the entrance. And I think visiting has definitely enabled me to gain clarity with my GEM choices, as you can probably tell, Warwick is a favourite for me!

That's about all I remember lol I can't find my notes as my room is a mess form studying for the UKCAT and my degree lol. Hope it helps!
Reply 13
x

Thanks for such a detailed response. It does indeed sound awesome. Warwick is also my top choice.
Reply 14
Original post by Amyk89
Thanks for such a detailed response. It does indeed sound awesome. Warwick is also my top choice.

Is it? That's awesome! With any luck we'll be class mates next year! Also have you done your UKCAT yet? And are you currently finishing your first degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Is it? That's awesome! With any luck we'll be class mates next year! Also have you done your UKCAT yet? And are you currently finishing your first degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did my UKCAT a few weeks ago now. Nope I'm a nurse with 2 years post qualification experience so would (will hopefully) be very strange to go back to being in a classroom full time.

Yeah hopefully we will be, I'll keep my fingers crossed we both get in!
Reply 16
Original post by Amyk89
Yeah I did my UKCAT a few weeks ago now. Nope I'm a nurse with 2 years post qualification experience so would (will hopefully) be very strange to go back to being in a classroom full time.

Yeah hopefully we will be, I'll keep my fingers crossed we both get in!

Ooh and from your tone I'm guessing you did well; That's great!
Really? That's fantastic. You must have a wealth of experience in the medical field! I can imagine although I think you'll be fine as medical study doesn't end when you qualify. People involved in the health sector have to study to keep updated with medicine.

I'll do the same!
Reply 17
Ooh and from your tone I'm guessing you did well; That's great!
Really? That's fantastic. You must have a wealth of experience in the medical field! I can imagine although I think you'll be fine as medical study doesn't end when you qualify. People involved in the health sector have to study to keep updated with medicine.

I'll do the same!

Yeah I did :smile: Thanks, it means I know exactly what I'm getting myself in to, the good and the s###

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
This may seem stupid but,
I'm in my last year at uni doing biomedical science. On ucas do I select the option for applying through or school/college or as an individual.
Reply 19
This may seem stupid but,
I'm in my last year at uni doing biomedical science. On ucas do I select the option for applying through or school/college or as an individual.

Individual

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending