The Student Room Group

Are 6 A*'s and 4 A's enough for medicine?

I got 6A*'s and 4 A's in my Gcse's is that enough to get in to medicine?

also I am doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics for A-levels, is that a good combination for medicine or is it not liked because they are viewed as all sciences?
Reply 1
Yes.
Original post by LD248

also I am doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics for A-levels, is that a good combination for medicine or is it not liked because they are viewed as all sciences?

Your GCSE's are good enough.

Your subject combination is fine. Having said that, UCL has stated that they give a slight preference to one non-science A level but it doesn't matter too much.

Hope that helps?
Ooh I got similar grades :smile: 6A*s, 3As and 1B. well done! your grades are great.Your A-Level choices are fine. I've chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature; it doesn't make a huge difference, but some universities like 3 sciences and one contrasting non-science.Grades and subjects alone aren't enough. You need to do some work experience and extra-curricular activities that you enjoy! :smile:
Reply 4
they are better than mine and i am going for it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Freaky! I got the same as except I got 1 stupid b in Geography , your grades are hands down good enough for medicine. , but like the other people suggest , some universities may prefer you to do another subject which is not chemistry , biology , physics and maths . In additions some universities such as UCL also request for a language at gsce at a b level or above , so if you apply here , make sure your language grade is on poit ,
Good luck ! I'm in the same boat as you
Reply 6
Yeah great results and good a level choices

I'm confused myself..
I got 7A*s 3A's and 2Bs

And I'm thinking of taking biology, chemistry, psychology and geography for a level.. I think I will find physics too hard ( I don't know why! It just seems too hard )

Would I be able to get into medicine without physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ThatGirlx

Would I be able to get into medicine without physics?

Yeah - you don't need all sciences at A-Level to get into medicine. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by LD248

Great A-Level combo.
Yes, 6A*s will just about cut it for Oxford (and slightly more so for Cambridge as they look more at AS scores).
For other unis, you're fine.
Are you sure the 6A*'s will cut it? I heard you needed 7 and have been ripping my hair out when I found I only had 6Z
Original post by Tuya
Great A-Level combo.
Yes, 6A*s will just about cut it for Oxford (and slightly more so for Cambridge as they look more at AS scores).
For other unis, you're fine.

Oxford would be very unlikely with 6 A*s and 4 As. The %A*s for successful applicants is around 90% and the average number of A*s is 10.3, so the OP is well below both of these.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Oxford would be very unlikely with 6 A*s and 4 As. The %A*s for successful applicants is around 90% and the average number of A*s is 10.3, so the OP is well below both of these.

Alright thanks
Original post by QueenOfKings
Are you sure the 6A*'s will cut it? I heard you needed 7 and have been ripping my hair out when I found I only had 6Z

There are a handful of unis you might want to avoid (Oxford, Cardiff spring to mind) but for the other 30 or so they'd be fine.
Hey everyone! I am new to this site and I have a few doubts i want to clear. I am currently doing the IBDP program in Indian and have completed my IGCSE's. 9 Subjects7A*S (English, all 3 sciences, Math, Geography, P.E)2A's (Additional Maths and Spanish)I have also shadowed and interned at two hospitals for 2 months in two seperate summers.I am currently interning at a dental clinic.I am teaching at an orphanage. I have volunteered for bluecross.I am a state baskeball player and school basketball captainI was also a prefect in 10th gradeI play the piano- grade 4I started an ngo And i have done many olympiads and such.and other extracurriculars which i cant rememebr IF MY IB predicted is above 40-41, what are my chances of getting into a top medical university for undergrad( oxbridge, ucl, imperial, kings)Fee's are also not an issue.
Your GCSEs will be good enough for most places.
A level subjects vary depending on where you apply. Some medical schools ask for chemistry plus one other science and any 3rd subject but most ask for chemistry plus biology and any 3rd subject. They definitely wont mind that they're all science subjects.
Good luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest