The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anyone know what happens about Mary's parents? Will they send me a letter or is it like a pick a parent once you get there?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Another question for you Sooz...! what is the gym like in terms of equipment? And how much does it cost per term?
Reply 62
It cost £10 per term. In terms of equipment it has a few rowing machines, a few bikes, some other stuff like that, then loads of weights and stuff. I'm not very helpful I know, but you will be able to look round it before you committ to paying for it I imagine.
Something completely unconnected - I'm very sorry.

Do most rooms in Chads have enough storage? What does the average room have in it? Do people bring like extra shelving units etc?

Also, during the holidays, is there somewhere to leave all your stuff?

Would appreciate the guidance on this important issue.
Reply 64
I would say that most of them have enough storage, although my wardrobe last year was too small (but maybe I just have too many clothes). I don't think anybody really brings extra storage. There are places to leave your stuff (in basements or some rooms in main college) over holidays.
Reply 65
if you're in the godsquad James Randle might allow you to store some stuff in the chapel over the holidays, depending on your circumstances.
Reply 66
new questions: are there any drying cabinet in Chad's? Or Ironing boards? And, are there any facilities for hand washing in the laundry?

Reply 67
There's a shed in the back garden of Main College where the washing and drying machines are, with a rack where people dump their washing. There's sinks in there which I used for hand washing too. Ironing boards should be on every corridor.
Reply 68
pikaboo
There's a shed in the back garden of Main College where the washing and drying machines are, with a rack where people dump their washing. There's sinks in there which I used for hand washing too. Ironing boards should be on every corridor.

Thanks! It feels good to know that I won't have to use the sink in my room for hand washing :smile:.
Can you put posters/photos on the wall at Chad's?

Also, are there corkboards or anything in the rooms?
Reply 70
Yep for posters etc.
I can't remember seeing a corkboard in anyone's room, and there certainly wasn't in mine.
Reply 71
Do we get letters from our parents before we get to chads? I dont want to be an orphan.
mel0112
Do we get letters from our parents before we get to chads? I dont want to be an orphan.

Mel, mine only came on Saturday so yours will be there by tomorrow I betcha.

Hope preparation is going well! x
Reply 73
mel0112

I got mine today. Although it was only the mothers letter, it said my college fathers letter should be available to be picked up at the college.
Reply 74
Lawless
I got mine today. Although it was only the mothers letter, it said my college fathers letter should be available to be picked up at the college.

That's what mine said two years ago! I still don't know who my father is to this day.
Reply 75
I got mine today! YAY. Two mummys tho lol and apparently I have a sister, two aunts, an uncle and grandparents! (Christmas is going to be expensive!). Preparation is going slowly. Does anyone else feel like they need a small lorry to transport all their stuff to Durham- at the mo I seem to be bringing quite a few "essentials".
Reply 76
mel0112
I got mine today! YAY. Two mummys tho lol and apparently I have a sister, two aunts, an uncle and grandparents! (Christmas is going to be expensive!). Preparation is going slowly. Does anyone else feel like they need a small lorry to transport all their stuff to Durham- at the mo I seem to be bringing quite a few "essentials".

Absolutely >_<

It seems that every time I think I have everything I will need at uni, I suddenly think of something else and the pile of stuff I have to take with me grows ever larger.

Just be thankful you don't have the hassle of taking all this stuff on a flight :wink:
Reply 77
Wouldnt like to be trying to get round baggage allowances! Good luck- though im sure it'l all work out fine. :-)

Latest