The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Social Work at Queens 2014

Hey just thought I would start a new discussion for people applying to Queens for Social Work 2014, I am currently in the application process. Just wondering how everyone else is getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi ya, me too. Found the personal statement tough going - hard to condense it all and not appear like I know it all! Hope you got on well! :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Yea I'm in the middle of doing it- do you know when the deadline is? :smile:
Reply 3
I just got my second personal statement away last week...it was tricky! I am waiting now to hear if I have gotten to the next stage, the dreaded interview stage!
Reply 4
Hey im in the middle of sending mine off...always last minute! Although I applied last year so I still have my 2 personal statements at hand! UCAS deadline is the 15th January
Reply 5
Original post by noeleenm90
I just got my second personal statement away last week...it was tricky! I am waiting now to hear if I have gotten to the next stage, the dreaded interview stage!

Hi, how long was it from you sent off you UCAS App that you were asked to write a second statement?

I've had my UCAS App sent of since November but have only received acknowledge letters & requests to share my information with other universities - I've applied to Queens, Belfast Met & Derry.

This waiting is a killer :frown:

Also, what were you asked to write about in your second statement?
Reply 6
I applied in september and i was asked to complete the second personal statement a week before christmas (i cursed them alot for this) so you could still have some waiting to do but defo no reason to worry yet! In the second personal statement you are asked three questions; what social workers do in relation to a specific type of service users, what you think training to be a social worker will entail and an example of a personal experience that made you want to become a sw! Hope this helps...they arent worded exactly right but u get the just! Good luck xx
Reply 7
Original post by kg109
Hey im in the middle of sending mine off...always last minute! Although I applied last year so I still have my 2 personal statements at hand! UCAS deadline is the 15th January

Aw lucky you..i must double check i have mine saved incase i am unsuccessfull this year! Did you get to interview stage last year? X
Reply 8
Aw lucky you..i must double check i have mine saved incase i am unsuccessfull this year! Did you get to interview stage last year? X

yeah I got to the interview stage last year and i thought it went really well so fingers crossed I get in this year. Always save them lol makes it easier when you already have one to use and change about, i honestly hate personal statements lol x
Reply 9
Original post by kg109
yeah I got to the interview stage last year and i thought it went really well so fingers crossed I get in this year. Always save them lol makes it easier when you already have one to use and change about, i honestly hate personal statements lol x

I am applying for the accelerated two year social work course, as i already have a relevant degree! Are you the same or are you applying for the three year course? I hope we are both successfull this year! X
Reply 10
I am applying for the accelerated two year social work course, as i already have a relevant degree! Are you the same or are you applying for the three year course? I hope we are both successfull this year! X

yeah I have applied for the accelerated course as I already have a sociology and social policy degree. I know fingers and toes crossed! x
Reply 11
Wow with two such relevant degrees i cant believe you were unsuccessfull last year! This has defo added to my nerves..i have a sociology degree too..i got a first but i dont think this will help much at all now lol we should keep each other posted on progress xx
Reply 12
Hi I am a first year social work student at queens and one bit of initial advice I would like to give to any of those who are considering both UU & queens: don't share information across uni's! I was advised this and if I hadn't of done this I wouldn't be where I am now! I totally mucked up my first interview which was at Magee on the Monday and I went home and prepared my ass off for queens that following Thursday! Initially I got two unsuccessful's however I was placed very high on the reserve list and was offered a place at queens the day after the alevel results! I prepared for the interview like an exam and although I'm 24 I didn't have much exp in the social care field but if you prepare effectively it pays off. I wish you all the best 😊
Reply 13
I didn't clarify that by not sharing info you get two separate interviews 😊
Reply 14
Ah im so cross as i have already agreed to share my info! :frown: i will definerly remember your advice when it comes to applying again for next year! (Hoping i wont need to ofcourse) thankyou for tip xx
Reply 15
Hiya, just wanted to ask you about the interview last year what kind of questions did they ask you when you went to the Magee interview? thanks
Reply 16
Hi, I've applied for the 2 year social work course at queens, am 26 however don't have much experience in the field. Have a history and sociology degree from queens also. Could anyone advise on how many people apply for this course ...is it heavily oversubscribed? Just would like an idea of what my chances of getting on might be? Thanks :smile:x
Reply 17
I've agreed to share my info as well :frown:. I thought it would be best to get it over & done with in one go.

Hopefully we all get interviews.
Reply 18
I got an interview letter on sat...28th feb...its time to get prepping!!!
Reply 19
That's brillant news, well done :smile:.

A months notice is really good, plenty of time to prep.

Keep us posted on your progress x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending