The Student Room Group

Indesicive about A levels?

So, pretty much as the title suggests, I'm having chronic problems choosing my A levels for next year!

I'm doing a third year and my results last year were ABB, in English Literature, English Language and Classical Civilizations respectively. English Language A2 was poor this year, so I'm re-doing A2 and consequently need 2 more subjects to go over the 12 hour a week and be classed as a full time student.

The obvious choice is to fast track a subject and do AS/A2 in the same year. But I really can't decide between 3 choices.

The first is Modern History. The only real motivation to do it is because I have a friend doing it, lol. I'm worried that as a third year, and coming up to 19, I'm gunna struggle socially so... >_>, having a guaranteed friend in 2 out of 3 lessons seems nice lol. But then it seems really immature just to do a subject to have a friend in it, and I have no real interest in Modern History at all. >.>

The next subject is Medieval History. I do enjoy Medieval History, but my interest in history over all is kinda weak. Plus, I already have a B in Classical Civilizations, so it feels kinda pointless to do yet another history subject and probably achieve the same grade (A level history seems hard. I did get an A in GCSE history, but that was years ago lol). My mother also wants me to do this, so there's some external pressure to pick this subject. Buuuuut another reason; the teacher is awesome. I had him for my Roman history and he's genuinely the best teacher I've ever had.

And the last subject is Religious Studies. I think it's the subject that I, personally, am most interested in. I've always been fascinated by religion, but unfortunately my secondary school did not provide it as a GCSE option. So I'm going into the subject kind of blind, and I'm not sure if I will actually enjoy it. I mean, at first glance it really does appeal to me, but then I've never actually done R.E academically so it could be wildly different to what I imagine it will be. Also, my mother does not want me to do this subject and has flatly stated that it will be useless and not respected. >.>

So yeah, I'm stuck between three subjects. Modern History, Medieval History and Religious Studies. Can anyone help me pick please? Give your own experiences on the courses? Anything to help an indecisive person out? xD

The history subjects are with AQA by the way, not sure about R.E. Probably AQA too; my college loves AQA. >_>
You said that you'd be most interested in Religious Studies and your interest in history is weak. On the basis that you'd probably find a course a lot easier if you're interested (and have more fun doing it) I think you should go for the one you're most interested in :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hello calum
You said that you'd be most interested in Religious Studies and your interest in history is weak. On the basis that you'd probably find a course a lot easier if you're interested (and have more fun doing it) I think you should go for the one you're most interested in :smile:

But I'm not sure if that's enough reason to actually pursue the A level though, you know?

In theory I'm really interested in biology and psychics. I do genuinely spend hours on the internet just reading about them, but I'm **** at science so I could never do an A level based on them, no matter how much I enjoy the subject haha. I'm worried R.E will be something similar. xD
Original post by MichaelB6
But I'm not sure if that's enough reason to actually pursue the A level though, you know?

In theory I'm really interested in biology and psychics. I do genuinely spend hours on the internet just reading about them, but I'm **** at science so I could never do an A level based on them, no matter how much I enjoy the subject haha. I'm worried R.E will be something similar. xD

I won't force you to take up RE, but I do think life can be easier if you enjoy what you do :wink:
If you want some help on making decisions and being successful there is a great lecture by a man with cancer
: The last lecture

Quick Reply

Latest