The Student Room Group

Biomedical Sciences 2014 applicants

Hey guys, thought it'd be useful to group up all of the biomed applicants instead of all of us floating around on TSR asking similar questions on different threads.

Here are just a few questions I have?
- if you're applying to Oxford, what college do you think you'll apply to?
- What universities do you think are the best for biomed? (ordered or not?) - Also do you have a link to a league table? I often find ones on biology, medicine, biosciences, but never biomed. Even life sciences would be specific enough.
- Are you doing the BMAT - if so how are you preparing for that?

Hopefully when/if this thread gains a larger following you should be able to ask any questions and get an answer - but for now I'd be willing to answer any questions...
---
Here's the Biological Sciences Connect/Stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JackTheNerd
Hey guys, thought it'd be useful to group up all of the biomed applicants instead of all of us floating around on TSR asking similar questions on different threads.

Here are just a few questions I have?
- if you're applying to Oxford, what college do you think you'll apply to?
- What universities do you think are the best for biomed? (ordered or not?) - Also do you have a link to a league table? I often find ones on biology, medicine, biosciences, but never biomed. Even life sciences would be specific enough.
- Are you doing the BMAT - if so how are you preparing for that?

Hopefully when/if this thread gains a larger following you should be able to ask any questions and get an answer - but for now I'd be willing to answer any questions...

Hey, I can't find any league tables specifically for for biomed :frown: But the best places for me are UCL, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Queen Mary and King's. Also, does anywhere else apart from Oxford and Imperial need the BMAT? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by aaronc789
Hey, I can't find any league tables specifically for for biomed :frown: But the best places for me are UCL, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Queen Mary and King's. Also, does anywhere else apart from Oxford and Imperial need the BMAT? Thanks

Ah that's a shame

For biomed it's just imperial and oxford that do the BMAT. UCL do it for med only.
I think it depends what sort of biomedicine you want to do. Some courses are more on immunology, pharmacology, oncology etc, and some of them are more tissues, systems, neuroscience. I'm more interested in the latter ones, so I'm applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Nottingham and Sheffield. (neuroscience at Nottingham though).
Ah You see, Im more immulogy, physiology and Biochemistry. Definetly KCL and Southampton then Looking at UCL for Human Sciences though.
Hey I'm applying for Biomedical Sciences at:

UCL
Warwick
Kings College London
St George's - My first choice
Queen Mary

Not doing the BMAT
Reply 6
Whoo, finally, a thread for Biomed!

I'm applying to Oxford (I initally wanted to put New College, but then decided to go Open) and other than Oxford, I have: UCL, King's, Exeter and Warwick.
Reply 7
Do Kings accept a medical personal statement for the biomed course? =/
Reply 8
I'm applying for Biomed at Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester, York and Northumbria as a backup. Exciting!
Applying at Sheffield (ma fave) the manchester, Bristol (melecular medicine) and then probs york and Birmingham (medical sciences)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Applying to UCL. I'm a medical applicant and it's my 5th choice :smile:
Reply 12
Hi guys! I'm just wondering if entering KCL Biomed competitive??
Hello everyone! I didn't realise there was a thread for 2014 already. + sub Whoop whoooop!

How's everyone's applications going? Has anyone sent theirs off yet? I'm hoping to do so beginning of November ish. Finally narrowed down my choices to:

Imperial (yay BMAT)
Kings
Sussex
UCL
Bath

I'm actually intending to go for grad entry med after (don't eat me please). Anyone else thinking of doing this?

Can't believe I'm electing to do this horrid BMAT again though, but I can;t exactly back out of it now! :tongue: Just preparing by going over some gcse revision books and the BMAT specification and past papers. I was going to buy the kaplan books but I haz no monies and I've left it a tad too late to possibly get it all done in time I think!
Hey!
I've applied to Biomedical Sciences at Oxford (Balliol woo), York, Manchester, Edinburgh and Durham. I think it'd be amazing if I even get one offer!!!!!
The BMAT is looking terrifying. I genuinely think I will get the lowest score ever :frown: I have the ISC Medical School book and the questions are ridiculously hard. You get nowhere near enough time!!!
I wish everyone the best of luck and hope to see some of you at uni!
Reply 15
Yay there is a thread for 2014 entry =) I applied already and got an interview in half term =)woop woop
Reply 16
I've applied for biomed at Newcastle for my 5th choice for medicine and got an offer today!! Yaaaaaayyyyyy some relief that someone wants me!!
Reply 17
Applying to Queen Mary, Surrey, Aston, Northumbria, and not sure about my last one (International Student)

What are all your predicted grades though?
Original post by T.O.P13888
Yay there is a thread for 2014 entry =) I applied already and got an interview in half term =)woop woop

Congrats! Where's the interview and where have you applied? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Abhishek10
Applying to Queen Mary, Surrey, Aston, Northumbria, and not sure about my last one (International Student)

What are all your predicted grades though?

A*AA, whats yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending