The Student Room Group

Bristol A100 2014 applicants

Who else is thinking of applying here? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was originally planning to put down Bristol as one of my choices but upon looking at their admissions policy decided against it, reason being I got a fairly high UKCAT score and since Bristol do not/hardly use the UKCAT it would seem a waste. I am still considering it as its a lovely place and the Uni is fantastic its a shame though
Reply 2
Original post by georgiee_
Who else is thinking of applying here? :smile:

I've moved your thread to this forum. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ravin429
I was originally planning to put down Bristol as one of my choices but upon looking at their admissions policy decided against it, reason being I got a fairly high UKCAT score and since Bristol do not/hardly use the UKCAT it would seem a waste. I am still considering it as its a lovely place and the Uni is fantastic its a shame though

I've got the same sentiment to be very honest
Reply 4
Original post by Ravin429

Original post by DrumChops
I've got the same sentiment to be very honest

I'm actually in the same position as you as I got a high UKCAT score but I absolutely love Bristol. I think I'm going to take a risk as I wouldn't mind at all taking a gap year if it doesn't work :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by georgiee_
I'm actually in the same position as you as I got a high UKCAT score but I absolutely love Bristol. I think I'm going to take a risk as I wouldn't mind at all taking a gap year if it doesn't work :smile:

Yeah I'll provably take the risk to, its not like a high score will be disadvantageous and I think my other parts of my application are fairly strong as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying, I hoping my statement will get me an interview because although my GCSEs are great I'm only predicted AAA and apparently you get more points for A*s?
Reply 7
I am definitely applying to Bristol :biggrin:
Went to the open day and just fell in love with the whole place to be honest.
One question though- does anyone know if its risky applying with GCSE'S that aren't that great?
What is the thing that Bristol place an emphasis on when selecting people for interviews since they don't do the UKCAT. I think I will apply there because I got 677 in my UKCAT. could've done better
Reply 9
Original post by strawberryfeet
What is the thing that Bristol place an emphasis on when selecting people for interviews since they don't do the UKCAT. I think I will apply there because I got 677 in my UKCAT. could've done better

It's 20% on your 8 best GCSEs incl. english, maths and sciences and then 80% on personal statement :smile:
I'm applying here!
Reply 11
applying here :smile:
Yes I am applying to Bristol:smile:
Reply 13
How do they score GCSE's/ As/Predicted a levels?

I got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE, AABB As and predicted A*A*A- would that give me a good academic score?
Reply 14
Hi i was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I'm currently taking a gap year and Ive achieved AAAA at AS and AAA at A2 and i think i have a good PS. I really want to apply to Bristol however im worried about my B in English Language at GCSE.. do you think i should try applying here?
Original post by RR95
Hi i was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I'm currently taking a gap year and Ive achieved AAAA at AS and AAA at A2 and i think i have a good PS. I really want to apply to Bristol however im worried about my B in English Language at GCSE.. do you think i should try applying here?

No - unfortunately they require an A in English Lang so it would be a wasted application. Check the medicine wiki on GCSE entrance requirements to find unis that don't need an A or A* in English Lang, as quite a few do.
Original post by absaa
How do they score GCSE's/ As/Predicted a levels?

I got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE, AABB As and predicted A*A*A- would that give me a good academic score?

They don't look at AS's as long as you have a minimum C in your 4th subject. For GCSE's they give credit for up to 8 A*'s / A's, but AFAIK they don't reveal exactly how they score academics, other than that it's 20% of the total, with 80% PS. So I don't know if you lose marks for having less than 8A*s, but certainly people have been interviewed with similar GCSE's to you. For Bristol though, it's all about the PS so yours needs to be really good.
So does that mean a person with 8 A's would be scored the same as someone with 8 A* at GCSE ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aishaahmed96
So does that mean a person with 8 A's would be scored the same as someone with 8 A* at GCSE ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Predicted or achieved A level grades will also be used as an indicator.
Do you think it's risky to apply to Bristol as it seems to have such a high number of applicants per place in comparison to places like Liverpool and Lancaster ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending