The Student Room Group

Ask A Schizophrenic Anything!

Scroll to see replies

where did you grow up?

edit - and what's the deal with the little magnifying glass pics after some of your posts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
what section were you put under, I know they have section 2 and 3, think section 2 means you can leave if you want. my close family member was sectioned under a section 3 so they were not allowed to leave.

did you get hurt by any of the patients while you were there?

were you put in a single or mixed sex ward?

do you hallucinate people at all?

thanks
Reply 62
Original post by ash92:)
Hi :smile:

Do/did you hallucinate, and if so, where they visual or auditory?
What drugs are you currently taking?
Do you find keeping your mind occupied helps against schizophrenia?
Do you have trouble studying due to the cognitive effects of schizophrenia (I hope not)?
Are your family and friends supportive? How long did it take for them to be understanding?
I'm not sure what those drugs are, but I recall there is a drug that can induce schizophrenia ['angel dust'] - might you have taken this during your difficult times?

Sorry if any of the questions are uncomfortable to answer - feel free to ignore any such questions :smile:
Please quote this post when you reply

Thanks

I hallucinate both voices and visually

Keeping my mid occupied works both ways first it helps after that it becomes a problem.

Unfortunately studying does tend to bring it on but on the other hand it is the only thing that keeps me sane. Weighing it up- it is a massive benefit and I thank those who wrote books on architecture- you saw me through it all.

My family try to be supporting. They do their best. My friends- well I had to dis them because I had to get away from the drugs scene.

I never took angel dust but the rest I took the whole nine.

I'm free to answer any questions feel free to fire away.
What'd you do when voices are shouting at you to do bad things? Like are there any coping mechanisms you find work particularly well?

(I have schizoaffective disorder, not schizophrenia).
Reply 64
Original post by MissMedicine
Has schizophrenia affected you academically?

/yes it did when I was at school I was put up a year just after there was a road accident and I messed around at school I thought I was a comedian. Since becoming ill I find academia is my only way out of a drug world. I hope it works. I have a lot to say about academia but I will have to expand on my views at a later date. I hope you understand. Keep posted and I will reply. Thanks
Reply 65
Original post by Origami Bullets
BBC 3's recent documentary Don't Call Me Crazy is about the only representation of life on a teenage inpatient psychiatric unit that I have seen on TV.

Did you watch it, and if so do you feel that it was a fair portrayal of life as a teenage psychiatric inpatient, and the staff who work in such units?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't see that documentary. I'm only just getting bsck into TV, it used to make me feel really paranoid. I watch history and architecture programmes only ATM.
Reply 66
Original post by Ankabout
I went to a public speaking club meeting once where I was one of the speakers... there I talked to one of the attendees before the start of meeting and other than her shyness, I noticed was how she would constantly fidget with her hands.

Once the meeting started something strange happened to her. She kept screaming at multiple points for no reason while pointing and staring at thin air (sometimes to her side and other times ahead). Everyone was polite enough to pretend as if nothing was wrong... I guess we were too shocked to say anything. I did not see her again after that meeting.

Do you think she was hallucinating? Do some schizophrenics do that?

When I was in cambridge one of my friends insisted that I went to a church ceremony there was a guy there acting very strangely. I think people with mental health problems get attracted to religion, I know I was. I don't know what it is but religion seems like an answer. I can't really explain beyond that, sorry.

And in case you were wondering I really am related to mohammed and el cid through my family on the cornfield side- it's through the spanish royal family and the duke of gloucester. I'm not bull****ing.
Reply 67
Original post by Arturo Bandini
where did you grow up?

edit - and what's the deal with the little magnifying glass pics after some of your posts?

I grew up in Kent in Canterbury I'm an aetheist and never visited the cathedral until I was an adult into architecture. I also grew up in whitstable where the Krays lived and experienced a lot of gang violence. I'm a pacifist so never took part int he violence.

The magnifying glasses I don;t know I think it's a bug where I've edited my posts LoL.
Reply 68
Original post by Arketec
When I was in cambridge one of my friends insisted that I went to a church ceremony there was a guy there acting very strangely. I think people with mental health problems get attracted to religion, I know I was. I don't know what it is but religion seems like an answer. I can't really explain beyond that, sorry.

And in case you were wondering I really am related to mohammed and el cid through my family on the cornfield side- it's through the spanish royal family and the duke of gloucester. I'm not bull****ing.

I see. :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Emma122
what section were you put under, I know they have section 2 and 3, think section 2 means you can leave if you want. my close family member was sectioned under a section 3 so they were not allowed to leave.

did you get hurt by any of the patients while you were there?

were you put in a single or mixed sex ward?

do you hallucinate people at all?

thanks

I think it was a section 4 I wasn't allowed to leave until I was put into another adjoining ward, where I was only allowed to go outside into the hospital grounds.

I did not get hurt, the violent cases were on another ward, the main problem in my ward was suicide.

I was in a mixed ward.

When you say do i hallucinate I thought I was like a king that's all.
Sorry to hear you have Schizophrenia :frown:

What do you want to study at university?
How are you finding Alevels?
Does Schizophrenia affect you while in school or are you taking medication?
Reply 71
Original post by Sabertooth
What'd you do when voices are shouting at you to do bad things? Like are there any coping mechanisms you find work particularly well?

(I have schizoaffective disorder, not schizophrenia).

I don't know of any coping mechanisms. I only had really bad shouting voices when I took heroin.
Reply 72
I see. :smile:

You don't believe me do you? LoL

Reply 73
Original post by randomer12
Sorry to hear you have Schizophrenia :frown:

What do you want to study at university?
How are you finding Alevels?
Does Schizophrenia affect you while in school or are you taking medication?

I would like to study art history. I'm planning to apply to the OUDCE.

I read a lot I find writing difficult.

I'm studying online and yes I take meds.

Reply 74
Original post by Arketec
You don't believe me do you? LoL

Lol, no it could be possible. My grandmother told me how we are related to one of the loyal companions of Muhammad (pbuh). :biggrin:
Reply 75
WooH thank god that's over a lot of posts to reply to. Keep them coming though. I enjoy it. It all adds to my fame. LoL
Reply 76
Original post by Arketec
WooH thank god that's over a lot of posts to reply to. Keep them coming though. I enjoy it. It all adds to my fame. LoL

Lol, I know that feeling. It's great so enjoy the fame. :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 77
Lol, no it could be possible. My grandmother

told me how we are related to one of the loyal companions of Muhammad (pbuh). :biggrin:

I'm tempted to get my Corfield family history book and show you my family tree from mohammed to myself. I really am no tripping. LoL well a lil giggle really.

Perhaps he's punishing me for not being a muslim. LoL.
Original post by Arketec
I would like to study art history. I'm planning to apply to the OUDCE.

I read a lot I find writing difficult.

I'm studying online and yes I take meds.

Ah that's nice Good luck :smile:

Ah that's good must be a lot less stressful of an environment to be studying online :biggrin:
Reply 79
And El Cid of course, I'm a pacifist ,but I admire his victories.

Quick Reply

Latest