The Student Room Group

Antidepressants and Fresher's Week?

Hi

Anyone out there drunk much on antidepressants? I'm on setraline (50mg for the past year, with a brief period at 100mg and a little talk of upping my dose soon i.e. before Uni) I'm worried about fresher's week - I don't want to stand out and I want have fun but I'm also aware I've been advised to avoid drinking while on my meds, certainly a whole week of being drunk, and I don't want my depression/ anxiety to suddenly be unbearable in a new, stressful place. But not going out at all will make me anxious and sad too! What do you think I should do?

Posting here too for a more specialized answers
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Anyone out there drunk much on antidepressants? I'm on setraline (50mg for the past year, with a brief period at 100mg and a little talk of upping my dose soon i.e. before Uni) I'm worried about fresher's week - I don't want to stand out and I want have fun but I'm also aware I've been advised to avoid drinking while on my meds, certainly a whole week of being drunk, and I don't want my depression/ anxiety to suddenly be unbearable in a new, stressful place. But not going out at all will make me anxious and sad too! What do you think I should do?

you don't have to drink. I know freshers week is protrayed as a week of getting so drunk you don't know who/ where you are, and sleeping with more people than you can shake a stick at, but it doesn't have to be like that. Lots of universities have alcohol free events. My own university has films being shown, theres pole fitness, scuba diving, you can get involved with the uni radio station, we have a lot of arts and crafts type things going on, exploring the peak district, there's speed dating, a treasure hunt...

You can still do a bar crawl with your flat/ coursemates and not drink. I would just advise you to avoid any events that are labelled 'Pub Golf'
Reply 2
It is possible to drink on sertraline, but I wouldn't recommend drinking too much. It reduces your tolerance to alcohol quite significantly. So you can get very drunk off just a couple pints.

From personal experience of which have plenty on this very subject it is best to either not drink at all or only 1 drink. Just keep taking your meds and try not to drink too much. Also stay well away from spirits because they will **** you up something rotten.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I'm on the anti depressant Citalopram and was also advised not to consume alcohol or at least be careful of how much I drank. I've been on these for about 4 or 5 month now and I have drank alcohol quite a few times and got very drunk. I've always got drunk easily but more recently it's been out of hand, I've been angry and aggressive towards people I'd never hurt when I was sober. I'm moving to university in September too and I'm terrified that I won't enjoy myself if I don't drink as I'll find it very hard to talk to new people. I'm going to try though as I hate the person I become once I'm drunk! That doesn't mean to say you will be the same. If I were you I'd try a night out with your friends before you go away and see how your body reacts to alcohol while you're with people who can look after you if you take a turn for the worst!

Hope you feel better soon :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest