The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hpcp
Cheers :smile:
So they don't look at the PS much? I have work experience/voluntary work that I have mentioned and I think that's mainly what they just look out for?

You've got everything covered it seems! Good luck with your application
Hey, anyone starting at Birmingham in September fancy getting to know others on the course before we arrive?
Original post by AngryPenguin
Hey, anyone starting at Birmingham in September fancy getting to know others on the course before we arrive?

Yeah I'm starting in Sep too! Can't wait :smile:
Reply 1683
Original post by AngryPenguin

Hi I'll be starting in September as well!! Looking forward to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1684
Hiya,

I'm thinking of applying to medicine but really stuck on what uni to apply for. I'm keen on Bristol and Birmingham but don't know if I have the grades. Was wondering if any one could help and give me there opinion.

At GCSE I achieved, 5A* in Bio, chem, RE, and 2 IT. 7A and a B.
At AS level, I acheived AABC (AA in bio and maths, B in chemistry but am going to retake a module to boost this up, and a C in history which I dropped at AS) I'm also going to pick up an EPQ.

In my UKCAT:
Verbal Reasoning 600
Quant 670
Abstract 540
Decision Analysis 610
SJT band 1

Can anyone recommend unis to apply for? and also opinion on whether I'll be a good applicant for birmingham?

Thankyou
Original post by LL96
Hiya,

I'm thinking of applying to medicine but really stuck on what uni to apply for. I'm keen on Bristol and Birmingham but don't know if I have the grades. Was wondering if any one could help and give me there opinion.

At GCSE I achieved, 5A* in Bio, chem, RE, and 2 IT. 7A and a B.
At AS level, I acheived AABC (AA in bio and maths, B in chemistry but am going to retake a module to boost this up, and a C in history which I dropped at AS) I'm also going to pick up an EPQ.

In my UKCAT:
Verbal Reasoning 600
Quant 670
Abstract 540
Decision Analysis 610
SJT band 1

Can anyone recommend unis to apply for? and also opinion on whether I'll be a good applicant for birmingham?

Thankyou

I'm afraid you don't meet the GCSE and AS requirements for Birmingham as they want A*s in maths, science and one English at GCSE and 4As at AS.

I don't know about Bristol, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long roughly does interview prep take?
Did people do general prep from like October and then start doing prep specific to med school when they heard back?
Also what resources did you use mainly? (Especially for MMI)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1687
I was waiting for a 2015 entry thread to come up but there doesn't seem to be one yet..

So far I meet all their academic entry requirements for AS and GCSE except for English GCSE I got two As in English Lang and Lit. Is Birmingham therefore totally out of the question now?

Did any of you get an interview with just one aspect of their GCSE preferences missing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
got 10a*'s at gcse but got AAAb at AS in Chem,bio,maths,german respectively. Theres no point in me applying to birmingham is there because i dont have 4 A's at AS? sad really because i really like Birmingham
Hi , I got 4 A (including maths and further maths) and 1 B in AS. Do you know anyone who got an interview with these grades. Is it worth me applying for 2015. thanks
Original post by Nerd44
got 10a*'s at gcse but got AAAb at AS in Chem,bio,maths,german respectively. Theres no point in me applying to birmingham is there because i dont have 4 A's at AS? sad really because i really like Birmingham

I am also really sad. I got 4 As (bio, che, maths and further maths) and 1 B (economics)in AS and I really want to go to birmingham. I am not sure whether to apply or not
anyone out there, please help
Original post by healthmed
I am also really sad. I got 4 As (bio, che, maths and further maths) and 1 B (economics)in AS and I really want to go to birmingham. I am not sure whether to apply or not
anyone out there, please help

Email admission and ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1692
Hey, I'm sure you've got a chance.

I had similar stats to yours with only A's in English, Geography and English literature and got an offer. Its achievable as long as you meet their other criteria so I'm sure they'll consider you.

Good luck!

Original post by ja1
I was waiting for a 2015 entry thread to come up but there doesn't seem to be one yet..

So far I meet all their academic entry requirements for AS and GCSE except for English GCSE I got two As in English Lang and Lit. Is Birmingham therefore totally out of the question now?

Did any of you get an interview with just one aspect of their GCSE preferences missing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I know this is the 2014 page but I couldn't find a thread for 2015 :frown:

Sorry if I sound like a tit, but I REALLY want to do medicine at Birmingham. It would mean the world to me.
I have 9A*s and 3As and GCSE (Including Eng Lit, Maths and 3 Sciences), I have AAAA at AS (Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics), I'm Predicted A*A*A* for A2.
I know that meets the minimum academic entry requirements, but i'm wondering what else I need to do to increase my chances of getting an interview?

I have written about Hospital work experience, shadowing and care home volunteering in my PS. I've tried to be as reflective as possible and talk about what I have learnt etc.
I also have a range of ECs and volunteering.

As I said, What else do I need to include and/or make sure I have to increase my chances of getting an interview?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Surprised to see no one has bothered to do this yet, so anyways, here you go. A brand new shiny thread for all you new applicants: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2867113&p=50350623#post50350623
Original post by Uosaf
Hello, I know this is the 2014 page but I couldn't find a thread for 2015 :frown:

Sorry if I sound like a tit, but I REALLY want to do medicine at Birmingham. It would mean the world to me.
I have 9A*s and 3As and GCSE (Including Eng Lit, Maths and 3 Sciences), I have AAAA at AS (Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics), I'm Predicted A*A*A* for A2.
I know that meets the minimum academic entry requirements, but i'm wondering what else I need to do to increase my chances of getting an interview?

I have written about Hospital work experience, shadowing and care home volunteering in my PS. I've tried to be as reflective as possible and talk about what I have learnt etc.
I also have a range of ECs and volunteering.

As I said, What else do I need to include and/or make sure I have to increase my chances of getting an interview?

Thank you in advance :smile:

...I think you tick all the boxes
Hi,
Have you come across any students who got 4As in AS (biology, chemisty, maths, further maths) 1 B in Economics ( missed out by 1 mark to get an A)
Is it worth me applying.
thanks
Hi,
Have you come across any students who got 4As in AS (biology, chemisty, maths, further maths) 1 B in Economics ( missed out by 1 mark to get an A)
Is it worth me applying.
thanks

Email them to see if they accept further maths as the fourth a level :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Is it worth me applying.
thanks

Yes it is, they count Further Maths as an A-level
Hi, Im thinking of applying for medicine at Birmingham, do you know if they have any UKCAT requirements or BMAT I cant seem to find if they even need these admission tests! Thank a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending